Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We've got a problem

GIBBS LIVES

Common sense and logic says we need to address the lines with our first round pick. Taking Albert out of the University of Virginia or taking the Campbell kid out of Miami would seem two logical ways to go.

But here's the problem:

Arguably, the best WR in the draft (Limas Sweed) of Texas is going to be on the board. Now we do need upgrading at the WR position, but it's clearly not our immediate need. But...the dreaded Cowboys pick right after us and they pretty much clearly have Sweed in their sights.

Do we allow the Cowboys to take Sweed who will be the air apparent to T.O. and let this kid torture us for the next 10 years??

The guy looks to be a nightmare in the red zone and he also looks like he's going to be un jammable on the line of scrimmage also. And he runs a 4.47 too.

I know what we need to do in the draft but can we afford to not take Sweed ourselves?? We desperately need a red zone threat ourselves. And he could totally open things up for Moss and Cooley also. Giving Jason Campbell the security he's going to need in a new offense. Between Cooley and Sweed, Campbell would feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

Weigh all the options guys, all the intangibles....and then tell me what you think.

Could you stand seeing Tony Romo sits to pee and Sweed killing us twice a year, every year for the next 10 years??

I don't think Sweed gets to #21 or #22 for that matter.....but that's my guess.

Plus, we can't just draft guys to stop opposing teams from getting them. I mean would we then move up to stop the Eagles getting Phillips or draft a LB to stop the Giants?

I hear ya..but it's not like WR isn't a need for us either. And taking Merlin from the Eagles (considering how weak our DE position is) isn't a bad idea unto itself.

We need so much and we can't fix it all in one off-season anyway. We need dominant players. Not just nice guys....DOMINANT GUYS! And Sweed looks like he could be a dominant player.

I'm only concerned about players that address our need areas. And Sweed could be a dominant player in our area of need.

I don't think Sweed gets to #21 or #22 for that matter.....but that's my guess.

Plus, we can't just draft guys to stop opposing teams from getting them. I mean would we then move up to stop the Eagles getting Phillips or draft a LB to stop the Giants?

He likely does make it to 21. Earlier in the draft cycle he often went before 21 but now he seems to be rated as a late first rounder, actually Kiper said he doesn't think he should be rated higher than a 2nd rounder.

The thing is WR's generally take 2-3 years to develop so its unlikely any WR makes an immediate difference. Draft geeks seem to think that NONE of the WR's this time are can't miss, and all have holes.

The Skins scouts I recall last year liked Bowe who turned into one of the rare immediate WR difference makers so my take is if they really like any of the WR's I trust their instincts to take one. Though personally I prefer looking guys like Bowman in the 3rd than messing with the first round on this position.

I agree with Walking Deadman in a sense on the premise of why he likes the idea of drafting Albert. He wants a guy that's safe and can fill an immediate need. Am not sure of Sweed does that. I disagree with Walking Deadman that Albert is the no brainer choice here.

Personally if they are in love with a corner like Talib or D lineman like Campbell or Merling and they land here, I'd go with one of those guys. If they aren't in love with them then go with Albert. I would go with Albert over any WR. With the Wr's Kelly and Thomas seem more appealing to me right now than Sweed.

Didn't we engineer a trade to acquire TJ Duckett in 2006 largely to keep him away from the Eagles? How did that one turn out for us? :)

You draft the player you feel is going to help YOUR team the most long-term.

Since the Redskins don't own multiple #1 picks, it comes down to making one selection at #21.

The only time for regrets is if we have two #1 picks and lose out on a player we SHOULD have taken with the second of those picks.

I don't think we should be drafting based on what other teams may or may not do in this draft. We should see to our needs and make the best deals possible when trading up or down.

But we also need a big WR too. It's not like we don't need him. And it would be killing two birds with one stone.

Didn't we engineer a trade to acquire TJ Duckett in 2006 largely to keep him away from the Eagles? How did that one turn out for us? :)

You draft the player you feel is going to help YOUR team the most long-term.

Since the Redskins don't own multiple #1 picks, it comes down to making one selection at #21.

The only time for regrets is if we have two #1 picks and lose out on a player we SHOULD have taken with the second of those picks.

Bulldog,

If you look at Moss and ARE, they are not really WCO type of WR. We need WR help. Since we didn't address it in free agency, it is still a need. But not a super priority like the lines may be.

If I were to choose, I'd address the lines but there is something to be said about our WR corps. Moss is dissapointment. To say the least. And he doesn't fit the type of tough WR we need for the WCO.

I don't know for sure, but we traded for Ducket because of Portis' injury for depth didn't we? I really don't believe we traded for him to keep him from the Eagles

that's not true.

Moss grew up in a WCO system with the Jets and Chad Pennington.

ARE is actually a very good slot receiver. the Redskins under Gibbs never ran the slants and crosses that are features of the WCO, that's not the fault of the receivers.

This team does need another receiver, one with size and athleticism to be a factor down the road, esp in the red zone, however, it appears there ARE candidates in Rounds 2-5 that can fit the bill.

I don't see the need to FOCUS our draft on the WR position in exclusion of the other positions where upgrades are necessary.

that's not true.

Moss grew up in a WCO system with the Jets and Chad Pennington.

ARE is actually a very good slot receiver. the Redskins under Gibbs never ran the slants and crosses that are features of the WCO, that's not the fault of the receivers.

This team does need another receiver, one with size and athleticism to be a factor down the road, esp in the red zone, however, it appears there ARE candidates in Rounds 2-5 that can fit the bill.

I don't see the need to FOCUS our draft on the WR position in exclusion of the other positions where upgrades are necessary.

Please...Moss is as fragile as Tiny Tim. WCO are tough, take alot of hits and play through injury. Like Donald Driver.

Remember how Moss punked out in that Green Bay game??? Sorry, Moss isn't what we need for a WCO WR. He's soft as ice cream in the dessert. And has been inconsistant his whole career. With the Jets and us.

All I can say is somewhere in rounds 1 though 3 we will draft a WR. Who that will be I have no idea, but I will trust that it will be the WR that best fits what coach Zorn wants in his scheme. I`m not interested in keeping up with the Jones , I want to be better!

Football is not a game you can play in fear of your opponent, nothing wrong with respect, but fear is unacceptable. :2cents:

I hear ya, but again, can we afford to let him go to the Cowboys? When we have a need for a big WR ourselves?
So you feel we need to draft to "hurt" other teams rather than improve ourselves as much as we can? As Burgundy Burner says, we have our own needs. If we improve ourselves, we can hurt 31 teams, including Dallas. Worrying about taking a player from 1 other team is not a prudent use of the draft. The pukes need DB help, letting them have Sweed when they already have a decent WR corps may actually help us more anyway.

Ultimately I think most of us are going to be happy with the guys we select and I also think most will find their way on either the roster or PS. This is a deep class in many positions - we have potentially nine picks - I'm not sweating it a bit. With or without Sweed Dallas is going to be in the mix just like Philly and NY. This division is rough obviously as it almost always is.

If you look at Moss and ARE, they are not really WCO type of WR. We need WR help. Since we didn't address it in free agency, it is still a need. But not a super priority like the lines may be.

If I were to choose, I'd address the lines but there is something to be said about our WR corps. Moss is dissapointment. To say the least. And he doesn't fit the type of tough WR we need for the WCO.

And IMO Sweed is not a WCO reciever either. If you read the majority of the scouting reports and watch some of the "highlights" on youtube, you would see that he does not posses the qualities needed. He does not have a good YAC, and his shuttle times are alittle slow. Heck in the so called highlight films he was tackled right after catching the ball, and by one DB most of the time. Again, yes he has 4.4 speed, great if we are looking for a flanker. But that is not the slot we are looking to fill.

And as for Dallas drafting him, very doubtful, but if they did, Landry can take his head off a couple of times and tell him "welcome to the NFL" :D

Sweed will probally go to the Titans were he can hook up with Vince Young again.

Archived