Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dealing With Black and White Race Relations in America

Sweet Sassy Molassy

"James Cohn of New York union's theological seminary with having undertaken this systemization. Here as Cohn's description of what this theology is. You got it? So we're one person removed from Reverend Wright. He says his theology is based on this, based on this guy and his work and here's what this guy says his work is all about. Quote: Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer and we had better kill him. The task of black theology is to kill all gods who do not belong to the black community. Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in black power which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love."

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/7498/

So which way do you want to do it, like James Cohn of New York union's theological seminary, or do you just want to rise above all of the crap, and get on with a united America like in Martin Luther King's visions?
I think everyone share MLK's vision of a united America. I am sure that Obama does. Where people disagree, however, is how we get there. There is a huge spectrum of opinions from those who antagonize whites to those who would assimilate completely. Even MLK struggled with these issues towards the end of his life, as affirmative action policies were just getting started. King wrote, "whenever the issue of compensatory treatment for the negro is raised some of our friends recoil in horror the negro should be granted equality they agree but he should ask nothing more on the surface this appears reasonable but it is not realistic."

http://books.google.com/books?id=C8_4qrrD3l0C&pg=RA1-PA146&lpg=RA1-PA146&dq=whenever+the+issue+of+compensatory+treatment+for+the+negro+is+raised+some+of+our+friends+recoil+in+horror+the+negro+should+be+granted+equality+they+agree+but+he+should+ask+nothing+more+on+the+surface+this+appears+reasonable+but+it+is+not+realistic&source=web&ots=mGN4BG0iyr&sig=qLS5PJXLC-XaAR6gEUQyN2zi14k&hl=en

Good points all around. And I think that what you say is this last paragraph is definitely true.

I believe Fergasun said that it's best to forgive and forget. But that's easier said than done. Just as Destino said, I'm only a generation removed from segregation and the injustices of the time. My dad was there, and told me the stories. So forgive and forget isn't that easy. It never is, we still remember 9-11, and our children will be told about it, and some of the anger may persist in our children.

Personally I don't believe there's a solution for racism, which is why I didn't try to present an end all be all solution. You can't force someone to change their mind, if they don't actually believe it. But I believe we can all play a part in making race relations, which is different from racism imo, better. As HH said, we can all learn something from each other, and to steal a line from GI Joe, "Knowing is half the battle". The first step, in my experience, is open-minded discussion, where people can talk openly without fear of ridicule, but with the intention of gaining a better understanding of the struggles and frustrations of the other, which will ultimately help us relate and accept each other as humans, as Americans, and as friends.

There is a solution. But it involves other forms of "isms".

Remember after 9-11, America was one. White, Black, Asian, Hispanic. We were the United States of America. We had an enemy. Unfortunately, it was Arabs, another race.

So the solution is simple. We need something to reject that isn't all of us. Something that takes our color and culture out of it and makes us realize we are one species. Unfortunately, that answer lies with the stars and sci-fi.

I know that could be the case for some whites. However, slavery was over when my grandparents came to America. The only slavery that my viking ancestors did was against white Europeans (the same was done to my ancestors by other whites). And you don't see me feeling bad for the French, and British ancestors of slaves that my people might have owned. And on the other side of the coin, you don't see me asking for reparations from the Italians, for taking my ancestors as slaves.

When is the last time that you were forced into servitude by anyone. Do you have any living relatives that were slaves? It kind of reminds me of the old feuds that were based on someones great-great-grandpappy being pissed at another family's great-great-grandpappy (who are both long-dead). And after a long time they forget what it was that they were figting about. But they still fight until one family is dead, or until they put the past to sleep and move forward.

So which way do you want to do it, like James Cohn of New York union's theological seminary, or do you just want to rise above all of the crap, and get on with a united America like in Martin Luther King's visions?

I'm not talking about slavery. Not once have I uttered the words slavery. I've also never asked for reparations, nor have I suggested that it was necessary. I think you took a completely different view of the blog, I don't know how, or why. But you also realize that slavery didn't end racism, right? Of course I have no living relatives that were slaves. But I do have living relatives that lived through segregation and the civil rights movement. Same as I have encountered racists and racism in my lifetime. I'm still reading your post trying to figure out what exactly you are driving at. But I really think we're saying the same thing, as far as rising above all the crap.

"James Cohn of New York union's theological seminary with having undertaken this systemization. Here as Cohn's description of what this theology is. You got it? So we're one person removed from Reverend Wright. He says his theology is based on this, based on this guy and his work and here's what this guy says his work is all about. Quote: Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer and we had better kill him. The task of black theology is to kill all gods who do not belong to the black community. Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in black power which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love."

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/7498/

To be honest, this thread is not intended to debate the virtues of Rev. Wright or anything like that. There are plenty of threads in regards to Rev. Wright etc.

It still hasn't.

Government supported segregation did. Racism doesn't come from slavery alone which is why I pointed it out. It wasn't long ago, a certainly during the lifetime of many lving americans, that the government supported racism against blacks.

There is a solution. But it involves other forms of "isms".

Remember after 9-11, America was one. White, Black, Asian, Hispanic. We were the United States of America. We had an enemy. Unfortunately, it was Arabs, another race.

So the solution is simple. We need something to reject that isn't all of us. Something that takes our color and culture out of it and makes us realize we are one species. Unfortunately, that answer lies with the stars and sci-fi.

So are you suggesting that we get the Death Star to attempt to blow up Alderaan?

:whoknows:

I'm not talking about slavery. Not once have I uttered the words slavery. I've also never asked for reparations, nor have I suggested that it was necessary. I think you took a completely different view of the blog, I don't know how, or why. But you also realize that slavery didn't end racism, right? Of course I have no living relatives that were slaves. But I do have living relatives that lived through segregation and the civil rights movement. Same as I have encountered racists and racism in my lifetime. I'm still reading your post trying to figure out what exactly you are driving at. But I really think we're saying the same thing, as far as rising above all the crap.

Yeah I'm sorry for adding a selection of your quote in my reply. I didn't mean to take your quote out of context. I have also encountered racists and racism in my lifetime, both against friends of mine, and against me. I think that racism is growing at an exponential rate. And I am just getting frustrated, and bringing up examples of how America is perpetuating this trend.

But getting back to my main point. I think what we need to do is remeber the past but not dwell on it, so we can move into the future, united and color-blind. Kind of like in the Army (we were all green).

This is quite possibly the greatest thread I've read on here about race relations.

You all deserve a round of applause for being able to articulate really great points and keeping it civil amongst each other all the way into page 5.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

The content of page 1 is amazing. Like most threads on here, around page 3 a topic can become a giant fight. I am so glad to see that this thread has survived and continues to offer insights and civility among the posters. It has definitely given me some things to think abuot over the weekend.

SSM... it appears your blog has done what it wanted to accomplish. Open a GOOD, healthy discussion on a topic many of us don't know how to talk about without getting defensive.

Thank you. :cool:

Archived