Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would it be stupid to draft a WR in the 1st round,when we possibly could trade 4Chad?

michael_33

I can't rap my brain around the idea of drafting Malcolm Kelly,Sweed or any WR in the 1st round,when we not only could trade for Chad Johnson,but perhaps trade out of the 1st to aquire him...!

Sure...It takes 2 teams to tango for a trade!I understand that concept...

But if a player like chad could be taken for the right deal or any very good WR for that matter like possibly Boldin or whoever,why would you not do everything in your power to get them..?

Let's stay hypothetically for a minute that Chad could be taken for the right deal on traded draft picks for a second?

Instead of just throwing your 1st round pick to Malcolm Kelly or Sweed or whoever... :doh:

What if the Redskins could trade out of the 1st round and swap picks to the bengals..for chad?

Lets say the Value for Chad is at LEAST a 1st round pick(even though we have seen recievers getting dealt for much,much less in recent years)

1)Trading our 1st to the bengals is an option right?for Chad?Is that worse than drafting Kelly or Sweed?A proven TD stud over a couple guys that might make it in the big league?

2)What if we could swap our 1st round pick(#21 800pts) to the bengals for their 2nd rounder(#46 440pts)?Under normal circumstances,the Bengals would be required to give us a 2nd round pick in a deal like this according to the draft chart...(a tool we can use for the moment)So not only would we have our 51st and their 46th picks on 2nd rounders,but they would owe us a 2nd rounder for such a deal...Well,if chad is part of that deal...if would be like us giving them a 2nd round pick....We can then ante up to give them equal value for chad....say a 3rd for example...

Confused?

-----------

Redskins trade 1st round pick(#21) and their 3rd round pick (??) for Chad Johnson and their 2nd round pick (#46)...

So instead of getting Malcolm Kelly and then hoping he's good and then moving on to the 2nd round for our next choice....We get Chad Johnson (a freakin' stud and proven #1) and not only our 2nd rounder as a norm,but the bengals 2nd rounder as well #46...We would not have a 3rd rounder (i used that as to evening out the value of the trade as an example...could be less)But even if this was the case...we would possibly have a comp pick in the 3rd anyways...the extra pick could very well have been a 5th instead of a 3rd rounder...

3rd)What about the ole' trade our #1 now, for the Bengals 1st rounder in 09'?We all know how that usually works...Usually the team that is eager for an extra 1st rounder in that particular draft,has to fork over extra picks as well...

4th)Of course you also have the players trade....What if the Bengals want someone from our team?What if Betts was the guy they wanted...Why the hell would you not trade a backup RB for a guy that will not only be your #1 WR VS a guy that might see the field 5 times a game,but a position as RB is that some claim is the easiest to fill...?Now Obviously,we would have to dish out more,but how much more...?

Lets say the bengals value betts as a 4th round pick(we obviously think he's worth more than that....well...some of us do anyways..)But by making this move,it would prevent alot of things...#1)We would most likely keep our 1st rounder for a DE/DT or whatever plus getting chad.....#2)It would allow us to find a stud DE/DT to address what we really need on this team...D-line!Rock would stat as well,who I think is more than capable of replacing Betts...and if not..there's always Mason or a young drafted stud like Chris Johnson or so...Many options...

...And I'm sorry people...but if you think there's no difference in a rookie WR compared to a rookie DE/DT/LB/OL or whatever...your crazy...the only position harder is QB as far as rookies IMO..!

Not only do they have to learn the offensive system if they are not familiar with it,they have to go up against top notch CB's in the league compared to scrubs that are in college...Which means they have to improve significantly on their routes,catching,blocking,improvising and everything...

DE's have to tackle...!OK...Just kidding :) but their assignments don't compare to what offensive players have to do!!period!

So not only are you gambling on that WR being on par with a guy like chad,or Boldin or whoever as far as talent.....but you also have to hope they adjust to the NFL on all their requirements the way Chad already has more than proven he can do and do well!

The question is...what's it gonna take to get chad or Boldin or whoever we can get to put in as at least the #2 slot next to Moss..?

Cause if we can do it and keep our 1st rounder or aquire an extra pick in the process by trading our #1.....then that is a no-brainer then just dumping our pick for Sweed!!IMO..

Of course...It does take 2 to tango...But I'm just sayin' :cheers:

Either Or works for me.

But I do find it ironic that the same people who complained about us not building a team also think its silly to draft an "unproven," Rookie over the a proven vet.

With Sweed, I feel that we can develop our own Big WR who can be like a Cooley in a WRs body, but still give us the deep threat (like a Plax though, not a Santana).

Johnson is that elite WR who can change a game on his own. Even when he doesnt' get the ball, he impacts teh play by drawing double teams and opening things up for Moss, ARE, and Cooley.

Why don't we see what Mix can do before we go out and get a WR huh? There was a reason the Giants were not happy about losing him. The kid has potential. Why don't we take our draft picks and actually build some depth, and maybe shore up our O-line and our D-line.

My problem with the projected first rounders this year is when I compare them to past first rounders with what these guys have done or are expected to do, there is a large gap.

I mean when I think first rounders I think larry fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss...and granted a lot of you guys are going to say well you're only naming the good ones thats not my point.

My point is there seems to be very little appeal pre-draft to any of these guys as opposed to previous years.

I can't rap my brain around the idea of drafting Malcolm Kelly,Sweed or any WR in the 1st round,when we not only could trade for Chad Johnson,but perhaps trade out of the 1st to aquire him...!

Instead of just throwing your 1st round pick to Malcolm Kelly or Sweed or whoever... :doh:

Dude, enough of these ridiculous threads. Why give up a first round pick for a soon to be aging receiver whos best years are almost certainly behind him. He's got two more great seasons left in him, and if he goes somewhere else and gets paid, he might not give you that.

Plus, who wants a guy that the coaches fear might knock them out? Wrap your mind around that. :silly:

But if a player like chad could be taken for the right deal or any very good WR for that matter like possibly Boldin or whoever,why would you not do everything in your power to get them..?

Let's stay hypothetically for a minute that Chad could be taken for the right deal on traded draft picks for a second?

What if the Redskins could trade out of the 1st round and swap picks to the bengals..for chad?

Lets say the Value for Chad is at LEAST a 1st round pick(even though we have seen recievers getting dealt for much,much less in recent years)

1)Trading our 1st to the bengals is an option right?for Chad?Is that worse than drafting Kelly or Sweed?A proven TD stud over a couple guys that might make it in the big league?

2)What if we could swap our 1st round pick(#21 800pts) to the bengals for their 2nd rounder(#46 440pts)?Under normal circumstances,the Bengals would be required to give us a 2nd round pick in a deal like this according to the draft chart...(a tool we can use for the moment)So not only would we have our 51st and their 46th picks on 2nd rounders,but they would owe us a 2nd rounder for such a deal...Well,if chad is part of that deal...if would be like us giving them a 2nd round pick....We can then ante up to give them equal value for chad....say a 3rd for example...

Confused?

-----------

Redskins trade 1st round pick(#21) and their 3rd round pick (??) for Chad Johnson and their 2nd round pick (#46)...

So instead of getting Malcolm Kelly and then hoping he's good and then moving on to the 2nd round for our next choice....We get Chad Johnson (a freakin' stud and proven #1) and not only our 2nd rounder as a norm,but the bengals 2nd rounder as well #46...We would not have a 3rd rounder (i used that as to evening out the value of the trade as an example...could be less)But even if this was the case...we would possibly have a comp pick in the 3rd anyways...the extra pick could very well have been a 5th instead of a 3rd rounder...

3rd)What about the ole' trade our #1 now, for the Bengals 1st rounder in 09'?We all know how that usually works...Usually the team that is eager for an extra 1st rounder in that particular draft,has to fork over extra picks as well...

4th)Of course you also have the players trade....What if the Bengals want someone from our team?What if Betts was the guy they wanted...Why the hell would you not trade a backup RB for a guy that will not only be your #1 WR VS a guy that might see the field 5 times a game,but a position as RB is that some claim is the easiest to fill...?Now Obviously,we would have to dish out more,but how much more...?

Lets say the bengals value betts as a 4th round pick(we obviously think he's worth more than that....well...some of us do anyways..)But by making this move,it would prevent alot of things...#1)We would most likely keep our 1st rounder for a DE/DT or whatever plus getting chad.....#2)It would allow us to find a stud DE/DT to address what we really need on this team...D-line!Rock would stat as well,who I think is more than capable of replacing Betts...and if not..there's always Mason or a young drafted stud like Chris Johnson or so...Many options...

...And I'm sorry people...but if you think there's no difference in a rookie WR compared to a rookie DE/DT/LB/OL or whatever...your crazy...the only position harder is QB as far as rookies IMO..!

Not only do they have to learn the offensive system if they are not familiar with it,they have to go up against top notch CB's in the league compared to scrubs that are in college...Which means they have to improve significantly on their routes,catching,blocking,improvising and everything...

DE's have to tackle...!OK...Just kidding :) but their assignments don't compare to what offensive players have to do!!period!

So not only are you gambling on that WR being on par with a guy like chad,or Boldin or whoever as far as talent.....but you also have to hope they adjust to the NFL on all their requirements the way Chad already has more than proven he can do and do well!

The question is...what's it gonna take to get chad or Boldin or whoever we can get to put in as at least the #2 slot next to Moss..?

Cause if we can do it and keep our 1st rounder or aquire an extra pick in the process by trading our #1.....then that is a no-brainer then just dumping our pick for Sweed!!IMO..

We don't need Chad he'll only bring trouble. I think Zorn is like Gibbs when it comes to character and certainly if Dan and Vinny didn't learn anything from Joe I hope they learn to bring in people of good character and not change that now that Joe is gone.

These threads get annoying.

Johnson may have talent, but he is a hole, a lockerroom cancer. He has burned his bridges and alienated people in Cincy, and wants out, especially because they aren't a SB contender. Hey Chad, you made your bed, now lay in it. In his case, LIE in it is definitely a better choice of words.

We don't need a guy who is perpetually distracting THE TEAM with personal attempts to gain attention by acting like an 8 year old. And we certainly, punch or not, don't need a guy who has to be physically restrained from attacking coaches.

It is not accidental that while Johnson has great personal stats, his team has faltered. He is certainly not the only reason, but he is a dysfunctional person who will always be a me first guy, even though he says otherwise.

There is more to success than just talent.

It would take more than just a 1st round pick to get him, and he would want a fat new deal. No way, no way, no way, no way.

We draft a WR or two, pay them reasonable salaries, and develop them.

Character matters. Johnson lacks it. You don't give up huge picks and salaries for a guy who acts the way Johnson does. You just don't. So can we please stop these threads?

It may be dumb to draft WR 1st round - I'd do it in the 2nd . But it is WAY dumber to trade for a guy like CJ.

I think this dead horse has been beat enough...

IF CJ were to come here. How many balls do you think he would get in a spread out WC offense? 70? 75? 80?. You still have Moss, ARE, and Cooley to get the ball to. To get the ball to any of them less than 60 times is waste of their talent. Throw in Portis for 20-30, Sellers for 20-30, Yoder for 15-20, Mix for say 30, Bettes for 20-30. CJ would not be a 100 catch receiver in a spread out offense. How happy is he going to be if he isn't getting 8 catches a game? How happy is he going to be if he isn't getting 100 yards a game? It is a bad fit and he will be throwing fits in the locker room, AGAIN.

Confused?

-----------

Ummmm, huh? You've got like 30 different hypotheticals in there and I have no idea what to make of it.

Our 1st and 3rd for CJ and a 2nd? Trade them Betts and some other picks, and they'll give us CJ, and we'll keep our 1st rounder?

Seriously I hope you didn't spend too much time going over these proposals, because if the Bungles don't want to trade him, they don't have to. We all know their owner is as tight-fisted as they get, he's not going to take the massive cap hit it would require to trade him.

And Chad Johnson has never won a playoff game in his career, so I'll assume that the Bungles would rather just let him sit out and whine so they can withhold his paycheck, rather than caving in to him.

Anyway, here's to draft day coming quickly so we can end all the speculation.

Good thread _33, although ultimately i don't think we will go for Ocho-Cinco, sadly.

What i don't get is all the animosity toward #85. "A locker room cancer"..... based on what exactly? Even now his team mates in Cincinnati have nothing but good words to say for him..... heck, his own QB has been calling for him to get a deserved extension since the season's ended. And please don't throw up the ONE incident he allegedly traded blows with Lewis..... whether or not this did actually happen, **** happens in locker rooms all over the Lge every week of the season. When you've 53 guys together, day in, day out, not everyone's gona' get on all the time. And not all of it gets reported.

Suggestions that he "doesn't care" and "wouldn't 'put it in' " if he got a big contract with the 'Skins. The dudes played in 103 straight games over the past 7 years for the Bengals, breaking many franchise records in the process. Over the period, he's arguably done as much as ANYONE for that franchise.

Johnson's brash and loud, no question, but in a bad way? Of all the problems that franchise has had, off the field, with player misdemeanours, when has CJ ever been arrested? The guys harmless and just likes to have fun. And that's a BAD trait to bring into this locker room? Add that to the fact he's an ELITE receiver who CONSISTENTLY gets it done. And you guys would rather take a chance on a rookie who may or may not work out?

I'll concede i don't like the way he's forcing Cinci's hand here, i'm not big on "player power", but after 7 years of total commitment as mentioned above, i can understand his frustrations, and none of us know exactly what that ball clubs like on the inside without actually BEING there.

JC, with Ocho-Cinco, Moss, ARE, Cooley, Portis, Big Mike..... and the likes of Mix, maybe's Mason and whomever we pick up to develop later in the draft or after..... tell me that doesn't have you drooling at the possibilities for both the immediate and the future. This is one trade we should, at the very least, explore.

Hail.

Good thread _33, although ultimately i don't think we will go for Ocho-Cinco, sadly.

What i don't get is all the animosity toward #85. "A locker room cancer"..... based on what exactly? Even now his team mates in Cincinnati have nothing but good words to say for him..... heck, his own QB has been calling for him to get a deserved extension since the season's ended. And please don't throw up the ONE incident he allegedly traded blows with Lewis..... whether or not this did actually happen, **** happens in locker rooms all over the Lge every week of the season. When you've 53 guys together, day in, day out, not everyone's gona' get on all the time. And not all of it gets reported.

Suggestions that he "doesn't care" and "wouldn't 'put it in' " if he got a big contract with the 'Skins. The dudes played in 103 straight games over the past 7 years for the Bengals, breaking many franchise records in the process. Over the period, he's arguably done as much as ANYONE for that franchise.

Johnson's brash and loud, no question, but in a bad way? Of all the problems that franchise has had, off the field, with player misdemeanours, when has CJ ever been arrested? The guys harmless and just likes to have fun. And that's a BAD trait to bring into this locker room? Add that to the fact he's an ELITE receiver who CONSISTENTLY gets it done. And you guys would rather take a chance on a rookie who may or may not work out?

I'll concede i don't like the way he's forcing Cinci's hand here, i'm not big on "player power", but after 7 years of total commitment as mentioned above, i can understand his frustrations, and none of us know exactly what that ball clubs like on the inside without actually BEING there.

JC, with Ocho-Cinco, Moss, ARE, Cooley, Portis, Big Mike..... and the likes of Mix, maybe's Mason and whomever we pick up to develop later in the draft or after..... tell me that doesn't have you drooling at the possibilities for both the immediate and the future. This is one trade we should, at the very least, explore.

Hail.

I will point one major reason why this is not a wise trade AT ALL.

What good is having a stud WR when your QB doesn't get the time he needs to throw the ball to him, because your O-line is thin in numbers and tired

How about we do these 3 things:

1) DO NOT TRADE ANY PICKS!

2) Do not trade for C.J.

3) Do not select a WR in the 1st round. Between Kelly, Sweed and Hardy, I don't see the future Jerry Rice out there. In fact, if they were so good, they'd be top 10 picks(See Johnson, Calvin) and they are slated to go anywhere from 11-31. Bunch of Rod Gardner clones if you ask me.

Draft OL, DL, CB. We may have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. You can get a Jordy Nelson or Adarius Bowman type guy in the 3rd round. Go OL/CB, CB/OL in the first 2 rounds and then go WR/DL, DL/WR with the 2 third rounders.

Let's stop getting everyone elses unhappy players. That seems to be a trend with us. We finally stopped the vicious cycle when we didn't sign Briggs. Let's keep the players we have, draft (we may have 9 picks if we get the 3rd and the 2 7ths as compensatory picks) and fill holes with players like London Fletcher.

Archived