Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The QB Thread.

illone

Ok, this has been discussed a little bit throughout some other threads, but it deserves a thread of it's own.

How many QB's will Zorn carry on the roster in 2008?

I think the Skins will go with two QBs this time around. Campbell and Collins, which will open up a roster spot for someone like Espy, or Mason. Looking back over the past four seasons Gibbs never needed that 3rd QB, so it's pointless IMO to have three.

So do you prefer two or three QB's and why.

I prefer to have a young developmental guy at #3 but you could also just stash him on the practice squad if you aren't worried about another team trying to steal him. You never intend to put your clipboard QB on the field until he can graduate to #2 after a few seasons on the sideline.

#1...Good thread.

#2...I personally think that you really should only have two on a roster. The reason being is... if your team is using a third string QB in a season?, Then your probably not gonna be a playoff team anymore, even if they showed face enough to be one.

#3...This helps in cap space, which allows more freedom in other areas of real need.

If Campbell and Collins both go down, the team is in trouble regardless of who the #3 QB is.

This is why I think the Skins will have an extra roster spot when compared to 2007. If I'm right the question then becomes what position will the Skins use the extra roster spot on.

#2...I personally think that you really should only have two on a roster. The reason being is... if your team is using a third string QB in a season?, Then your probably not gonna be a playoff team anymore, even if they showed face enough to be one.

#3...This helps in cap space, which allows more freedom in other areas of real need.

#2: I agree.

#3: 3rd QB isn't exactly going to break the bank, so I doubt cap space would be a legitimate concern. Guys like that are making minimum salary.

#2: I agree.

#3: 3rd QB isn't exactly going to break the bank, so I doubt cap space would be a legitimate concern. Guys like that are making minimum salary.

Your correct. It seems I failed to mention the extra roster spot. Which one? Who know's..seems we need to wait for our FA and draft. If you were to ask me now currently, after today, I would say WR,OL.

the Redskins will most likely carry 3 quarterbacks and depend upon a late round selection Zorn believes will be an effective WCO operator in the NFL down the road.

with the way quarterbacks go down each season it is rare for teams to carry just 2 and with Collins at 36 it makes sense to bring in a player that can be Campbell's primary backup in 2009.

I think if you know you have an established starter at #1, AND you stash someone on practice squad, fine.

Campbell could still possibly not work out. Collins is too old to be a full-season starter.

So you have to have a number three.

QB is the most important position. You don't hang yourself out to dry there.

Campbell went down for the season last year. Collins, an old guy was starting. Do you really want to bring in someone who has never thrown to our receivers, may not be totally familiar with system, etc. ?

I take the #3 QB over #6 receiver, etc.

Every time.

the Redskins will most likely carry 3 quarterbacks and depend upon a late round selection Zorn believes will be an effective WCO operator in the NFL down the road.

with the way quarterbacks go down each season it is rare for teams to carry just 2 and with Collins at 36 it makes sense to bring in a player that can be Campbell's primary backup in 2009.

Most teams carry two, with a guy stashed on the practice squad.

Gruden and Gibbs are the only coaches I can think of that save three roster spots for QBs.

In today's league it's a waste of a roster spot.

I'm with the 2 QB's + ARE is enough for this year club.

But since Zorn is a QB guy, if he sees something shiny in the late rounds, he should probably pick it up. If we don't find a young clipboard holder this year, we'll need one next.

I like the idea of using ARE as the emergency QB, but why do you think the Skins will need a youngin next year?

I assume Collins will be on the team in 2009 as the primary backup to Campbell, if not starting due to an injury (knock on wood). I guess if you don't think Campbell is the long term answer then drafting another QB in the coming years is a good idea, but don't you want to see how he does this season and next before you suggest the team draft another QB?

Gruden and Gibbs are the only coaches I can think of that save three roster spots for QBs.

I doubt that is accurate. Most teams carry 3 guys, because the 3rd qb doesn't take a gameday roster spot. I doubt there are even 10 teams that only carry 2 guys.

illone, where are you getting that info, because I got curious and did a couple checks, and the teams I checked (Patriots, Colts, Giants, Cowboys) all seemed to carry 3 QBs on the roster. It was a bit difficult to find the "right" rosters, because teams have picked up players in the off season, but I think more teams used three QBs than not. Not saying you're not right, just wondering where you got the info...

Another reason that teams use 3 QBs is that the third stringer generally runs the scout team. That could be a practice squad guy, but you always run the risk of having the practice squad guys signed by another team.

I like the idea of using ARE as the emergency QB, but why do you think the Skins will need a youngin next year?

I assume Collins will be on the team in 2009 as the primary backup to Campbell, if not starting due to an injury (knock on wood). I guess if you don't think Campbell is the long term answer then drafting another QB in the coming years is a good idea, but don't you want to see how he does this season and next before you suggest the team draft another QB?

It's more like- best case, I don't see Collins as a long term anything. I like TC, but how long is he going to play? He's like 37 or 38 now.

Archived