Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The QB Thread.

illone

Coach Joe kept 3 QB's because he had a game once where both of the QB's got hurt and he had to bring in Brian Mitchell to finish the game at QB. So he kept 3 from that game on, if I remember correctly.

I personally don't think we need a third just to be a mobile clipboard holder. The reasons you would keep a third QB would include 1.) if you seriously plan on him being your number 2 one day, it provides experience for a young QB to see the game up close and actually hear the discussions on the sideline and 2.) If you ever get so far ahead or behind that it really doesn't make any difference, the 3rd QB takes the place of the primary and secondary QB's to avoid potential season-ending injury.

Coach Joe kept 3 QB's because he had a game once where both of the QB's got hurt and he had to bring in Brian Mitchell to finish the game at QB. So he kept 3 from that game on, if I remember correctly.

I personally don't think we need a third just to be a mobile clipboard holder. The reasons you would keep a third QB would include 1.) if you seriously plan on him being your number 2 one day, it provides experience for a young QB to see the game up close and actually hear the discussions on the sideline and 2.) If you ever get so far ahead or behind that it really doesn't make any difference, the 3rd QB takes the place of the primary and secondary QB's to avoid potential season-ending injury.

:cheers:

Gibbs pretty much always had three guys, you just never heard anything about them. We had a few no-name forgotten #2's as well in the early days like Tom Owen, he shows up in the celebration of Riggo's famous run and that's about it. Rypien started out as our #3 for a bit as well, he can be seen on the sidelines in SB XXII.

Stan Humphries actually saw some action as #3, then served as #2 the next year before moving on to start for San Diego. Jeff Rutledge also came in from #3 behind Rypien and Humphries in 1990 although he was a veteran backup for several years with the Giants, not a developmental guy.

It was that same year, 1990, when Mitchell had to come in and throw a few passes. That made him our 4th QB.

I could be a little off on all this but that's what the stats seem to say.

Gibbs pretty much always had three guys, you just never heard anything about them. We had a few no-name forgotten #2's as well in the early days like Tom Owen, he shows up in the celebration of Riggo's famous run and that's about it. Rypien started out as our #3 for a bit as well, he can be seen on the sidelines in SB XXII.

Stan Humphries actually saw some action as #3, then served as #2 the next year before moving on to start for San Diego. Jeff Rutledge also came in from #3 behind Rypien and Humphries in 1990 although he was a veteran backup for several years with the Giants, not a developmental guy.

It was that same year, 1990, when Mitchell had to come in and throw a few passes. That made him our 4th QB.

I could be a little off on all this but that's what the stats seem to say.

Mitchell finished the game at QB versus the Eagles in the infamous "body bag game". He was the emergency 4th QB and only took snaps and handed off as I recall I did not remember him attempting a pass as we were way behind and Gibbs just wanted to get the game finished while we still had some live players left.

Your right though in that I can never recall Joe Gibbs not having 3 QBs on the roster.

I also think it is highly unlikley we go into this year withonly 2 QBs. Ideally we need to find a young guy who can spend a couple of years as the 3rd QB behind Collins and then become our backup assuming Campbell continues to develop and stays healthy.

Archived