Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Art Question

rumpshakers

They just moved the Awakening to the new Harbor project in PG county I thought.

Go up to Philly one day to see some nifty sculpture. They have a lot of good art museums, including a museum of nothing but Rodin sculpture. (mostly copies, but still, if you can't get to Paris..) The doors to the place are awesome, a full scape replica of "the Gates of Hell".

It's a good weekend trip.

~Bang

I have difficulties with Rodin, especially in his later days. He began stealing credit for work that was really designed, developed, built, and finished by his "apprentices" Some of his greatest works he had little to no hand in.

(I think you may be right about the Awakening. For some reason, I thought I remembered them wanting to move it near the site of the new Nationals stadium)

http://www.pbase.com/april_sims/the_awakening

The Awakening sculpture. The five part cast aluminum statue was created by J. Seward

Johnson, Jr., which depicts a 100-foot man half buried alive trying to free himself from he earth. This statue is definitely a site to see in person.

The following images are of The Awakening at Haines Point (Tidal Basin), Washington, D.C. On February 20, 2008, this amazing statue was moved to the new National Harbor in Fort Washington, Maryland.

The artist sold the statue to the National Harbor.

I will be getting out to the National Harbor soon to capture images of one of The Awakening so you can see what it looks like in its new home.

awakening-sculpture.jpg

(I think you may be right about the Awakening. For some reason, I thought I remembered them wanting to move it near the site of the new Nationals stadium)

I think (not sure) that its across the river from the new stadium, which is maybe why you associated the two.

I think (not sure) that its across the river from the new stadium, which is maybe why you associated the two.

No, it was moved to the National Harbor Development,which is on a cove on the Potomac River in PG County, Maryland, just a stone's throw from the Wilson Bridge.

Archived