Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Art Monk, The Person I Admire Most

RonYoungEra

The following is a paper that I wrote on December 4, 1992 for a school assignment. I was 14 years old at the time. I just reread it today for the first time since then after receiving it in a care package from my ma. Oh, and despite the grammatical errors (which I've corrected for ease of reading), I still got a 98% and "Nice Job!" on the paper. I thought some of you may get a kick out of this as I certainly did! :)

Art Monk, The Person I Admire Most

The person that I admire most is Art Monk. He is a wide receiver for the Washington Redskins. They are a professional football team, and my personal favorite. One reason that I admire Art is because I want to be a wide receiver too, and he is like a role model for me. Another reason is that he is not a very outspoken person. Finally, I admire Art Monk because he is very committed and enjoys what he does.

Since I was very little, I have always liked football and the Washington Redskins. I have also liked Art Monk because he plays for my favorite team and my favorite position, wide receiver. Some people call Art the best receiver ever to play football. He rarely drops the ball and loves to get into the endzone.

I also admire Art because he doesn't brag about how good he is. He is not a very loud person. Art Monk holds the record for the most receptions ever by any player in the National Football League. On the day that he broke that record, his teammates were more excited than he was.

The last reason that I like Art Monk is because of how committed he is to his work. He has been playing football for over 10 years. He is also committed to his wife and three kids. Art is also a very religious man. He attends church every Sunday. He also enjoys playing football. Art has stayed with the Redskins throughout his career.

As you can tell, Art is a very softspoken man. He is also committed and good at what he does. I hope that I can be like him no matter what I choose as a career. If I do make it to the National Football League as a wide receiver, I will be number 81 in honor of Art Monk.

Well, I never did make it into the NFL (yet), but I still admire Art for the man that he is. Congratulations Art on making it into the Hall of Fame this year. We love you.

Nice writeup.

As for your 98% - that's a little trick everyone should use at all levels of writing classes. Always write about something emotional. Your paper could read like complete crap, but if you make it emotional, the teacher will always give you a high grade.

For example...

"I use to be sad person. I was depresed. I had no friends. My familee hate me. I was lonly. Sometime wish I can disappear. One day I saw TV. On TV was Art Monk. He caught a tuchdown. He my hero. He motivate me. He made me strong. And now I am proud of who I am. Thank you Art Monk."

As long as your teacher knows who Art Monk is, that's an instant A right there.

Nice writeup.

As for your 98% - that's a little trick everyone should use at all levels of writing classes. Always write about something emotional. Your paper could read like complete crap, but if you make it emotional, the teacher will always give you a high grade.

For example...

"I use to be sad person. I was depresed. I had no friends. My familee hate me. I was lonly. Sometime wish I can disappear. One day I saw TV. On TV was Art Monk. He caught a tuchdown. He my hero. He motivate me. He made me strong. And now I am proud of who I am. Thank you Art Monk."

As long as your teacher knows who Art Monk is, that's an instant A right there.

haha..nice..thanks for the tip..i'll hafta keep that in mind for my final paper for grad school... :)

oh..and..as always: :dallasuck

As you can tell, Art is a very softspoken man. He is also committed and good at what he does. I hope that I can be like him no matter what I choose as a career. If I do make it to the National Football League as a wide receiver, I will be number 81 in honor of Art Monk.

is this as you wrote it in 1992 or have you changed it?

did you actually think about your "career" at the age of 14?

is this as you wrote it in 1992 or have you changed it?

did you actually think about your "career" at the age of 14?

it is absolutely as i wrote it in '92 when i was 14..and of course i was thinking of my career back then! doesn't most everyone talk/think about what the want to be when the 'grow up'.. i even had a cool way of signing my name and adding the #81 to it for when i was to sign autographs! :)

it is absolutely as i wrote it in '92 when i was 14..and of course i was thinking of my career back then! doesn't most everyone talk/think about what the want to be when the 'grow up'.. i even had a cool way of signing my name and adding the #81 to it for when i was to sign autographs! :)

:laugh: Awesome.

Very cool story man. Thanks for sharing.

My # was 81 JV year, and i patterned my play to his. We were mostly a running team but every play i thoght "what would Monk Do" sounds sappy but thats what i did. Never had separation speed and didnt make it to College ball but i only dropped 3 passes in 3 years and was the go to guy on most 3rd downs.......

Monk was the best.

Thanks for sharing....

Nice writeup.

Dude, that is so true. Being emotional in a paper makes the teachers think that you actually gave a ****! hahaha Works every time. :laugh:

My # was 81 JV year, and i patterned my play to his. We were mostly a running team but every play i thoght "what would Monk Do" sounds sappy but thats what i did. Never had separation speed and didnt make it to College ball but i only dropped 3 passes in 3 years and was the go to guy on most 3rd downs.......

Monk was the best.

Thanks for sharing....

heck yes! if only we live our lives in accordance with "WWAD" (what would art do?)..things would be much better in this world! :P of course, the abbreviation of "wad" isn't so catchy! :P

• 4 months later...

Nice read man, I was the same way back when I was about 12-14. Darrell Green was my all-time favorite player. I used play backyard football with my friends and I'd dream of being a shutdown corner.

I did get to play DB in high school but I was no Darrell Green lol.

I'm very happy that DG and Monk are both getting in, even though Darrell is still my favorite (along with Sean Taylor now) I am almost happier that Monk finally got in.

Great thread.

Art Monk is one hell of a classy individual. I am so happy he's finally gotten in. I was wondering if anybody saw Michael Irvin's quotes on Art Monk. They were incredibly respectful to say the lease... said that the fact Art Monk was catching a lot of passes in Superbowls alone should have gotten him in a few years ago and that last year while he was on the podium he thought to himself what am i doing here before art monk and that he admires him.

Archived