Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jon Krabil reports: (BC) punter Johnny Ayers will work out for the Redskins

michael_33

Good deal!

I figured we would either be drafting a Punter or Kicker in the draft... :cheers:

Redskins | Ayers to work out for team

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:42:53 -0700

Jon Krabil, of Sterling Sports Management, reports Boston College P Johnny Ayers will work out for the Washington Redskins Friday, April 4.

News is slow,otherwise I give someone else the honors...

good stuff m33.

Here is his bio:

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ayers_johnny00.html

2006 Season

Has started 37 consecutive games as punter...finished the season with 59 punts for 2,483 yards (42.1 average); ranked fifth in the ACC...pinned 20 punts inside the 20-yard line...punted five times for 199 yards, 39.8 average, and one placed punt inside the 20 against Central Michigan...had five punts for 193 yards, 39.2 average, and had a high of 53-yards against Clemson...booted six punts for 243 yards, 40.5 average and had two punts inside the 20 in win over BYU...had seven punts for 339 yards, 48.5 average and a season-long of 60 yards at N.C. State...kicked two punts for 76 yards, 38.0 average including one inside the 20 against Maine...had six punts for 216 yards, including four inside the 20 in win over Virginia Tech...boomed four punts for 167 yards, including three inside the 20 for a 41.8 average at Florida State...had a punt blocked against Buffalo...punted four times for 154 yards, 38.5 average including one inside the 20 at Wake Forest...had two punts for 108 yards, 54.0 average against Duke...punted four times for 145 yards, 36.3 average (one inside the 20) in win over Maryland...boomed nine punts for 396 yards (44.0 average), including a long of 56 yards at Miami...had five punts for 244 yards (48.8 average), including a long kick of 54 yards against Navy in the Meineke Car Care Bowl...made headlines as a member of the BC baseball team when he smacked Boston Red Sox pitching phenom Daisuke Matsuzaka for a double on the first pitch Matsuzaka threw in a Red Sox uniform.

2005 Season

Finished the season with 62 punts for 2,559 yards (41.3 yard average) in 12 games; pinned 19 punts inside the 20-yard line...booted seven punts of 50 or more yards, including a season-long punt of 56 yards at Brigham Young...punted four times for 176 yards, 44.0 yard average, and placed one punt inside the 20 against the Cougars...punted five times for 201 yards against Army; pinned the Cadets inside the 20 with a 55-yard punt in the fourth quarter...punted six times for 231 yards against Florida State...punted six times for 252 yards at Clemson; placed two punts inside the 20 and recorded a long of 53 yards...punted three times for 120 yards against Ball State...punted three times for 120 yards (one inside the 20) against Virginia...punted three times for 132 yards against Wake Forest; placed two punts inside the 20 and recorded a long of 50 yards...punted seven times for 318 yards - a season-high average of 45.4 - at Virginia Tech; boomed a long of 55 yards...punted eight times for 306 yards at North Carolina; placed three punts inside the 20 and registered a long of 47 yards...punted seven times for 287 yards versus North Carolina State; pinned five punts inside the 20...punted twice for 78 yards at Maryland...punted a career-high eight times for 338 yards against Boise State in the MPC Computers Bowl and recorded a long of 50 yards.

2004 Season

Finished his true freshman campaign with 63 punts for 2,479 yards; ranked third among Big East leaders with a 39.3 yard average...placed 21 punts inside the 20-yard line; left three punts inside the 20 in each of three games... booted 12 punts of 50 or more yards, including a career-best 76-yard blast at West Virginia...punted six times for 251 yards, 41.8 yard average, at Ball State; booted a long of 57 yards and left two inside the 20...punted twice against Connecticut - one for 56 yards, the other for 54 yards, both inside the 20...punted five times for 216 yards, an average of 43.2 yards (long of 55), against Massachusetts ...placed three-of-six punts inside the 20 at Pittsburgh...averaged 42.6 yards on five punts, including a long of 63 yards and one inside the 20, at Notre Dame...punted seven times for 344 yards, 49.1 yard average, at West Virginia; had a 59-yard punt in the first half and a career-long (and third-best in school history) 76-yard punt in the second half; nailed three punts inside the 20...placed three of his five punts inside the 20 against Temple... tied his season high with seven punts against Syracuse; averaged 41.4 yards per punt, leaving three inside the 20...had four punts for 149 yards against North Carolina in the Continental Tire Bowl.

High School Earned All-State honors as a senior punter at James Madison High School ... served as 2003 team captain, while starting at quarterback, free safety, punter and place-kicker ... captured All-Region punting honors in 2001, 2002 and 2003; gained All-Region kicking honors in 2002 ... was a three-time All-District punter ... averaged 42.0 yards per punt in 2003; placed 17 of 42 punts inside the 20-yard line ... an accomplished quarterback who earned All-District honors in 2003 and All-Metro honorable mention accolades in 2003 ... was named to George Michael's 2003 NBC Golden 11 All-Met Team ... played for head coach Gordon Leib ... was also a four-year letterman on the Warhawks' basketball and baseball teams; earned All-Met baseball honors in 2004.

Wow that is crazy. I played against him my junior year in high school. Edison vs. Madison in the regional playoffs. In overtime all they needed was a extra point to win so I went in and tried to block it. Needless to say I missed after coming close and got an Ayers cleat to my manhood...:doh: He also was the free safety and I played receiver... good athlete.

I hope this pressures Frost into either signing and getting it done on the field or getting the heck out of town. I'm tired of inconsistent punters and kickers.

Frost has actually been pretty solid. He's had his share of good rolls to increase his average... but then again, the offense has a knack for punting while in the opponents territory (not allowing Frost to boot the ball as hard as he can). The only thing I'd harp on Frost is that he doesn't do coffin kicks. But oh well. Maybe that's Danny Smith's call.

Frost has actually been pretty solid. He's had his share of good rolls to increase his average... but then again, the offense has a knack for punting while in the opponents territory (not allowing Frost to boot the ball as hard as he can). The only thing I'd harp on Frost is that he doesn't do coffin kicks. But oh well. Maybe that's Danny Smith's call.

He's been solid sometimes but coffin kicks are damn important for punters and I'm just not entirely comfortable with him yet--I think some competition will help him out

He's been solid sometimes but coffin kicks are damn important for punters and I'm just not entirely comfortable with him yet--I think some competition will help him out

Oh, coffin kicks are definitely an asset. I don't think it's necessary but it can easily seperate an average punter from a great punter.

But it's a difference of comfort level. I'm perfectly fine with him... Suisham makes me a little nervous when he kicks. Frost, I'm not nervous at all about.

Archived