Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't EVER tell me hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports

Guest sith lord

Guest sith lord

59 year old Billy Crystal made contact against a major league pitcher in an exhibition game today as a member of the NY Yankees. Yeah, he struck out, but he made contact.

Guest sith lord
More detail:

Did it go forward? or up?

Did he actually HIT the baseball or graze the baseball?

It was a foul ball, but he made contact. He wasn't scared or anything, he actually did hit the ball.

Guest sith lord
There is a pretty big difference between sticking your bat in the strike zone and fouling it off, and HITTING a ball and driving it for a base hit.

Like I said, he actually swung and hit the ball.

during the DNC convention in Boston 4 years ago someone had a fundraiser where you could take batting practice at Fenway... I have a lot of Dem Lobbyist friends and I got my husband in... he flew up and went to the event. Batting practices pitchers threw the ball... I have seen video and he didn't even come close to making contact. Now granted it was the first time he picked up a bat but it was still funny.

Like I said, he actually swung and hit the ball.

Well, i think when people say "hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports" they mean, "hitting a baseball WELL."

I was a pretty solid baseball player in HS and i have no doubts i could at least make crappy contact and foul a ball off against a below average major league pitcher. Hell, i HAVE done it, 2 guys i played against are now in the league.

I also have no doubt that i couldnt bat .050 throughout a MLB season.

Guest sith lord
Were the throwing easy balls at him, or was he facing legit pitches?

Legit pitches. Trust me, I wouldn't have made this thread if they were just tossing the ball to him.

Exactly: i do the batting cages and KNOW i could hit 2 out of 10 somewhere. I'm just not sure where. AND if they'd be nice enough to give me 10 chances.

2 out of 10 would be .200, a relatively decent batting average. 0.05 is 1 out of 20. And just because you "do the batting cages," I doubt you could get a hit in 1 out of 5 at bats.

I don't know who was pitching, but come on its the Pirates for crying out loud. In 2007 the team had a whopping 4.93 era. Only the Marlins, Reds, Orioles, Devil Rays had higher ERA's. Secondly it is Spring Training. These guys are not at full strength yet, and you have minor leaguers trying to make the team. Third, maybe Crystal is a good ball player.

Guest sith lord
And if you were 60?

Assuming the pitches were MLB quality pitches?

Exactly. We're talking about a 60 year old COMEDIAN who made contact against live Major League pitching.

He played baseball in high school so he has to be able to atleast hit a fastball. Now if you give me proof that he hit a major league breaking ball then I will be amazed. I could hit a fastball in high school with the best of them but when it came to a breaking ball it was strike three everytime.

Anyways, what is your point? That baseball is gay and anyone can play in the MLB even 60 year olds?

2 out of 10 would be .200, a relatively decent batting average. 0.05 is 1 out of 20. And just because you "do the batting cages," I doubt you could get a hit in 1 out of 5 at bats.

:) You left out the key point: "i just don't know where they would go".

And it would be 10 pitches in a row. I'd take the bet...

as long as up, back side and forward counted.

:) You left out the key point: "i just don't know where they would go".

And it would be 10 pitches in a row. I'd take the bet...

as long as up, back side and forward counted.

If we could set it up, I'd take that bet. Major Leaguers throw pitches so nasty you would look silly if you didn't know they were coming. I mean, its one thing to hit the "fast pitch" batting cage, its another thing altogether to hit a breaker ball that cuts 2 feet. :)

And I skipped over the "not sure where" part. :laugh: My bad. :)

Guest sith lord
I don't know who was pitching, but come on its the Pirates for crying out loud. In 2007 the team had a whopping 4.93 era. Only the Marlins, Reds, Orioles, Devil Rays had higher ERA's. Secondly it is Spring Training. These guys are not at full strength yet, and you have minor leaguers trying to make the team. Third, maybe Crystal is a good ball player.

That's your argument? It was against the Pirates. Last checked, they are a Major League team.

Archived