Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would Trent Green still be our QB?

HogNose

Would Trent Green still be our QB if he hadn't been caught up in the perfect storm which was the sale of the Redskins? Did not being able to sign him ruin us more than we realize? I always wonder what kind of situation we would be in today if we hadn't gone through all those QB changes. I know this has probably been discussed long before I found this forum...but at least it's not another free agency thread. :)

It is hard to tell, but there is a good chance that he would have still been with us. But it depends: For example, Brad Johnson had a pretty good season in 1999 (even though he faded a little in the second half), but in 2000, he had competition with Jeff George. I would say, though, that Trent Green had more ability then either of those two QBs (even though BJ was solid for what he did...).

Like others, I am also disappointed that Green left during a transition period for the team, but it is really difficult to speculate to know if he would be with the team. He may have become injured (like he did for the Rams), cut by Steve Spurrier, or maybe would have become a multiple pro-bowl player for the team.

It would have been interesting to have seen, though, how he would have developed with the Redskins.

yeah, we would have been an entirely different team in the late 90s if we didn't let green walk. just think-no trading of high draft picks for brad johnson first- and third-round draft choices in 99 and a second-round pick in 2000. a steep price to pay for a guy who gave us 2 good years

That first round pick to the Vikings become Daunte Culpepper, if I am not mistaken.

It definitely would have been nice to have had those picks, as you mentioned.

Tough to say considering who was brought in to coach. However, if Trent did stick around, you wonder how that would have effected Norv's time as coach. Trent was the best QB out of the ones the Redskins had at the time, and arguably one of the best, (if not the best), of the one's brought in since. May have changed some results of games an d such,(though it's tough to think of a QB like Trent in an offense like Jimmy Raye's. :doh: ).

yeah, we would have been an entirely different team in the late 90s if we didn't let green walk. just think-no trading of high draft picks for brad johnson first- and third-round draft choices in 99 and a second-round pick in 2000. a steep price to pay for a guy who gave us 2 good years

Very true...all those draft picks we lost killed us.

Archived