Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gardner-Webb DE has impressive pro day.

BALLz

Well there's arguements for several positions in the 1st rd. I would love to take a DE in the 1st but the fact is, the 1st rd worthy DEs may be gone by the time we pick. So here's a guy that may be available in the 5th and may be worth a reach with a compensetory pick if we get one. Could allow us to go OG or OT in the 1st.

http://www.shelbystar.com/sports/johnston_29436___article.html/time_nfl.html

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Gardner-Webb product Brian Johnston, a rising prospect for this April's NFL Draft, wowed scouts at his first workout Saturday.

Working out at San Diego State for a handful of NFL scouts, Johnston showed exactly why he is one of the top defensive end prospects heading into April's annual draft.

Measuring in at 6-foot-5, 274 pounds, Johnston ran his first 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds. Johnston's 40-yard dash time would have been the fourth best at the NFL combine for defensive ends, and the best for any lineman weighing more than 260 pounds.

Johnston's most impressive stat from the 40-yard dash came with a very strong 1.51-second time through the first 10 yards, an important time with regards to a players quickness. By comparison, Johnston's 10-yard split was the same as Arkansas' running back Darren McFadden turned in at the Combine earlier this year.

Johnston pulled off an impressive 35-inch vertical leap as well on Saturday, which would have ranked second among defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine - and best for a player of his size.

The most impressive result overall, however, may have been Johnston's time in the 20-yard shuttle. He turned in a 4.18-second time, which is better than any lineman at the NFL's Scouting Combine. In fact, the 4.18-second time was faster than any running back at the event - with Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall the only back to match that time.

Thoughts on this guy. Remember, Jared Allen was selected in the 4th.

CLICK LINK FOR FULL ARTICLE

did he have a good career? I'd like to value that. A good career and a good pro-day workout is always something to value. A good career and a bad combine/workout should not matter. But a bad career and a good combine/workout, the focus should still be on the bad career.

I hope he had a good career. I would love to find a top DE in the 3rd or 5th rounds.

My thoughts are, how do his combine stats compare to those of Mike Mamula?

Show me tape of him beating left tackles and clobbering the qb, and then I'll be intrigued.

If we're going I-AA in the 5th, I like the waterbug from Georgia Southern, or the other little wideout from App State.

But hey, this guy may be a project who works out in the end, what do I know? I'm all for taking the best guard in the draft at #21, then corner or DT in the 2nd round.

Remember, Jared Allen was selected in the 4th.

Jared fell I think because he had a very poor combine showing but he put up good numbers in school. G-Webb sounds like he will definitely not be there in the fourth though. This is why I have no problem trading for guys like Allen in the prime of his career. This is the kind of guy you do such things for on occasion if the deal is right.

Jared fell I think because he had a very poor combine showing but he put up good numbers in school. G-Webb sounds like he will definitely not be there in the fourth though. This is why I have no problem trading for guys like Allen in the prime of his career. This is the kind of guy you do such things for on occasion if the deal is right.

What people dont realize is, if we start keeping the picks eventually t hose picks will turn into guys like this. You also get to see them grow under your own watch to see if they deserve money in YOUR system. We have alot of huge contracts right now as it is, I believe laying low and adding young talent to what we have is the best way to go. If you have the money to sign Allen next season then do so, but dont keep passing up the opportunity to add young talent through the draft.

Here's an article about his Hula Bowl performance, which, while probably not against the best talent, was better than what he had been facing.

http://www.shelbystar.com/sports/johnston_28004___article.html/west_forced.html

HONOLULU, Hawaii —Gardner-Webb product Brian Johnston made the most of his Hula Bowl experience, playing a major role in his Aina (East) Team’s 38-7 win over the Kai (West).

The 6-foot-5, 280-pound defensive end recorded four tackles, two sacks and forced a fumble - as he and his defensive mates held the West to just one offensive touchdown in the game.

Johnston, from San Diego, Calif., was pleased with his performance.

“This feels great,” Johnston said. “Everyone is telling me good things, nd I played pretty well. Four or five tackles, two sacks, a forced fumble and we won big. (The West) didn’t run the ball much at all.”

Johnston was named 2007 All-America by the Walter Camp Foundation, Associated Press, American Football Coaches Association, College Sports Report, College Sporting News and the Sports Network.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=68159

Johnston is starting to get recognition now and is climbing up the draft boards. He's projected as a 5th round pick now, but I would expect him to go higher, like 3rd or 4th round.

What you have to understand about young defensive linemen, is they usually have to hone their skills over 2-3 years in the NFL. Even Michael Strahan didn't do much his first couple of years in the NFL.

I would like to see the Skins draft this guy in say the 5th round and have Blache work with him for a couple years.

What people dont realize is, if we start keeping the picks eventually t hose picks will turn into guys like this. You also get to see them grow under your own watch to see if they deserve money in YOUR system. We have alot of huge contracts right now as it is, I believe laying low and adding young talent to what we have is the best way to go. If you have the money to sign Allen next season then do so, but dont keep passing up the opportunity to add young talent through the draft.

I agree with you, but as I stated, Allen is one of those elite guys IMO that is worth sacrificing picks for on occasion. We have made a habit of it over the years however. I personally would pull the trigger on this one but I undertand your POV as well.

I've never heard of this guy untill now, does anyone here know anything else about him?

I wouldn't mind seeing a later pick on this guy just for his athletic potential.

neither have i. and gardner-webb is less than an hour and a half away. all the local papers and news channels cover them and never heard anything about the guy.

did he have a good career? I'd like to value that. A good career and a good pro-day workout is always something to value. A good career and a bad combine/workout should not matter. But a bad career and a good combine/workout, the focus should still be on the bad career.

I hope he had a good career. I would love to find a top DE in the 3rd or 5th rounds.

Yeah that pretty much sums up exactly how I feel.

I think most GM's are getting it these days that the combine and pro days cannot be relied on too much.

High School: Played at Madison (Calif.) High in San Diego under Coach Steve Miner ... A first-team All-Harbor League selection at defensive end as a senior ... Finished season with 82 total tackles (30 solo), 13 tackles for loss, 10 quarterback sacks, six pass break ups and four caused fumbles ... A member of the San Diego Union-Tribune All-Academic Team ... A High School Heisman nominee ... Also an All-League selection at defensive end as a junior ... Also recruited by Colorado State and Arizona

What I want to know is, how does a guy from San Diego who was recruited by Colorado State and Arizona, end up at a small Christian University all the way across the country in North Carolina?

It can't be bad grades since he was on the All-Academic Team in High School. Was he hiding from someone? Somebody interview this guy and get the story.

Well, if the Redskins enter a track and field league, I say get the guy. He'd be a beast. Unfortunately the Redskins play in the NFL, so id much rather value his playing career. If he had a good career, then considering those numbers, id say draft him. But I think if you are looking for a late round gem in the draft, your best bet is to find a player that was injured most of the time(so not much interest), but was very productive when they actually got a chance to play.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/brian_johnston.htm

"One of the top prospects for the 2008 NFL Draft that you have probably never heard of is Brian Johnston. Yes Gardner Webb’s defensive end Brian Johnston is from a small school, but he has big time NFL talent. You don’t think those small school players can compete in the NFL? Just ask the Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen, who was a fourth-round selection (126th overall) out of Division I-AA Idaho State from the 2004 NFL Draft. Johnston is also similar to Dallas Cowboys’ defensive end Jason Hatcher, who was selected in the 3rd round (92nd overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft from small school Grambling. Johnston has similar size (6’ 5” 280 lbs) and production to both of those guys as well as similar NFL potential.He (Johnston) was named a first-team Associated Press All-American after the 2007 season, this was the second year in a row Johnston has received that distinction. He has also been honored as one of the top small school NFL Draft prospects by well respected talent scout Josh Buchanan. He was also named as a first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), and the Walter Camp Football Foundation and is the Gardner Webb Bulldogs’ first consensus All-America since Harold Wells did it in 2004.

This season (2007), the senior Johnston was named Big South Defensive Player of the Year two years in a row, he recorded an impressive 74 total tackles, 37 being solo, a school and conference-record 24 tackles for loss, 6 quarterback sacks and 22 quarterback hurries. He finished ranked No. 2 nationally in tackles for loss on the season, and established new Big South Conference career records for sacks (20.5) and tackles for loss. Johnston finished his career as the top tackling defensive lineman in school history with 268 total tackles.

With the advent of the 34 defense in the NFL, those jumbo defensive ends like Johnston have been much sought after. Johnston has fought almost constant double teams, which is why his 6 sacks don’t look that impressive, but he has proven to be very solid against the run, despite being double teamed, his 74 tackles, 20.5 being for a loss, prove that he can fight through multiple blockers and get to the ball carrier. Very good at using his hands, strong and quick, Johnston plays the game with a non-stop motor. He will have to increase his repertoire of pass rushing moves and continue to train to get stronger and quicker in the NFL, but he has the raw talent and skills to warrant a 4th or 5th round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft."

Definitely sounds like he is worth looking into. Wish we had a fourth this year.

Those are great workout numbers, but you would think he would have dominated in college especially at a small school. Unless the rest of his line sucked and he was constantly being double and triple teamed. He maybe worth a late round look and then with alittle coaching who knows.

Archived