Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What we REALLY need in this draft at 21- Let me know what you think

NAC386

As soon as the 4th quarter ended in Seattle I started thinking about the draft. I have spent lots of time considering all of the board favorites like sweed, kelly, calais campbell, phillip Merling, and the rest. Lately I feel like I finally chose someone who we can realistically get at 21 and I don't think my mind will change.

Branden Albert- http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/branden-albert?id=660

I know there's lots of people who will agree with this because of the last post made about him a while back. But just to ellaborate on why he's so important to our team. How many times did our star player Clinton Portis run into a brick wall? How many times did Jason Campbell get forced out of the pocket or get hit as he was throwing? Randy Thomas will be back and should be great again, but lets face it, Pete "I wish I was still wearing green" Kendall is way past his prime. With Albert we have a huge, very very athletic guard (Think Dockery with way more athleticism). PLUS Mayock and the crew all say with his athleticism he could easily switch over to tackle if needed. It's definitely time to build our offense to support our best weapon, Clinton Portis. He is as close as you can get to a can't-miss in the draft. He's the safest and in my oppinion the best pick available at 21.

In the 2nd round we should take whoever we determine is the best player available on the defensive line. I do not like Merling in the 1st at all because of his lack of productivity, and I definitely do not like Calais Campbell because he reminds me of an even taller Jamaal Anderson from last year (Falcons #8 overall pick, didn't work out well) and we can't pay 1st round money just for a 6'8 pass swatter.

3rd, I know it has been said but Nelson (6'3 217, for those craving a big reciever) at WR seems like a steal IF he falls this far in the 3rd. I don't care if people say he could be a one-year wonder when you put up the kind of numbers that he did in 2007. "Woops!! I caught 122 passes and 11tds!" just doesn't happen. If not, the best available cornerback or WR would be fine with me (assuming we've already picked OL and DL in 1st and 2nd).

From the 5th on I'd say best player available because we can use depth everywhere except running back. The Polish boxer strong safety from ND is a late round possibility, and I KNOW he seems a lot like Adam Archuleta but he's definitely faster and can be a good returner if we get tired of letting Randle El get beat up trying to return punts without blocks.

What do you guys think about Albert in 1st? Anything negative about him? Do you agree with my conclusions on Campbell and Merling not being 1st rounders? I know some of this has been said, hopefully I've added something new to consider though.

PS. I'm not saying Sweed or Kelly wouldn't be great to have, I just think we'd get more bang for our buck by solidying our OL with a beast like Albert.

:dallasuck

What about Campbell and Merling though? They are some of the other options at 21 and I really don't like either one of them. Albert is one of those guys that some say will go top 15 and some say will go late late 1st, like to the steelers at 24 or even later.

If any of the top 2 or 3 guards listed in the draft are still available at 21, yes, take them. Although Albert is listed number one, time and again, don't pass up Chilo Rachal or Roy Schuening either. Both are a considerable upgrade over what we have now, We can't afford to let JC or CP get hammered again like they were last year.

I would also like to put in a word for the center from Wake Forest, Steve Justice. He can play guard or center, and is hands down the number one or two center in the draft. Rabach has seen better days and didn't make a block downfield all season, and Pucillo is not a viable backup with his back. Justice is not expected to make it to the 4th round, and we could probably get him with one of our 3rd's. He would probably be a mid-season replacement for Rabach, but if Thomas got hurt again, he's capable of playing both positions.

Time to open up some holes for CP and give some protection to JC.

If any of the top 2 or 3 guards listed in the draft are still available at 21, yes, take them.

Drafting any Guard after the top one in the 1st round would be a HUGE reach. Albert is the only Guard I have seen even sniffing the 1st round; where he could go in the 1st seems to be all over the place though.

Time to open up some holes for CP and give some protection to JC.

EXACTLY. We can't let JC and CP get punished every week and that is what is going to happen with our current line. Good info about the center from Wake too, I really feel like we NEED to address our offensive line or we can look forward to CP being busted up and JC getting more blame for poor offensive line play.

I really like Albert and wouldn't be upset if we did take him. But, I think Albert is a reach in the first round. He is a guard and normally you can get good guards in the later rounds. The last quality gaurd taken in the first was Alen Faneca. Alot of guards chosen in the 7th round ended up being staters thier rookie season. Tackles is what you want in the first round.

To reiterate, we can get a quality guard in later rounds and focus on something of need in the first, like WR,CB, or DE. OT and DE at 21st in the first round will be reaches. My choice would be for Lima Sweed or a CB which there might be some that aren't a reach at our position in the first.

Info that I used about drafting guards: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jm-offensiveguards022307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I don't like the idea of drafting a OG in the first round, but I think Albert is one of the best prospects at his position in a few years. If he's even there at 21 I hope the Skins take him. Certainly he's a better prospect than DRC which everyone seems to have a mancrush on these days.

Round 1 - Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie - CB - Tennessee State

Round 2 - Lawrence Jackson - DE - USC

Round 3 - Jordy Nelson - WR - Kansas State

Round 3 - DeMario Pressley - DT - North Carolina State

Round 5 - Chad Rinehart - OG - Northern Iowa

Round 6 - Andrew Crummey - OG - Maryland

Round 7 - Marcus Howard - OLB - Georgia

Round 7 - Bobbie Williams - S - Bethune-Cookman

Round 7 - Matt Flynn - QB - LSU

Drafting any Guard after the top one in the 1st round would be a HUGE reach. Albert is the only Guard I have seen even sniffing the 1st round; where he could go in the 1st seems to be all over the place though.

Agree. I think a good guard can be had in the later rounds.

After watching Dallas torch our CBs last year in the 1st meeting, I think a CB may be needed. Springs is getting up in years, Rogers may not be 100%, and Smoot is a nickelback at best, doesn't give me confidence.

One of these guys may fit (granted couple may be gone by the time we pick).

1. Mike Jenkins, South Florida

2. Leodis McKelvin, Troy State

3. Aqib Talib, Kansas

4. Antoine Cason, Arizona

5. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State

6. Tracy Porter, Indiana

7. Reggie Smith, Oklahoma

8. Patrick Lee, Auburn

9. Terrell Thomas, USC

10.Orlando Scandrick, Boise Sate

Plus there is a rumor that we will trade the 21st pick for DeAngelo Hall, not bad.

I think in all honesty the best case scenario would be trading down.

If our only choice is Brandon Albert at 21, (best couple of DEs and WRs have been taken) then we need to see if we can either trade down in the first and pick up another second round pick, or something of that nature.

This class is pretty deep in most of our areas of need, if we can get multiple 2nd or 3rd rounders then we can get some pretty good players, and even a luxury depth pick like Owen Schmidt.

Since we did absolutely nothing in free agency, it seems like having a good/big draft is going to be crucial, and honestly as low as we are in the first round, getting a couple extra picks would be phenomenal, especially if one of them was high in the second.

OL talent is definitely there, and with Bugel to bring someone along I think there'd be a lot of success with either a 2nd or 3rd round Olineman picked.

If we can't trade down, or a deal isn't good enough, I totally support Albert more than a WR (especially if we get Hackett) or reaching for a Dlineman.

I would hope a pass rushing end like Derrick Harvey would fall to #21 becuase that could allow us to get maybe the best pass rusher in the draft in the 1st round and maybe focus on drafting a big physical WR like Adarius Bowman, James Hardy, Devin Thomas, etc. in the second round because this is a deep WR class...in the 3rd round we could go DT/O-line/CB whoevers at the top of our draft board... Hopefully we get a compensation pick at the end of the 3rd round to further address needs at those positions... Even if we sign DJ Hackett I still think drafting a big physical WR is a need to add depth and youth to our receiving group... Getting help up front defensively is our biggest need, I believe...

Brandon Albert mmight be the best choice. Limas Sweed is very enticing.

Derrick Harvey was DOMINATED by Jake Long in the bowl game. I'm worried about how he'll do in the NFL.

C. Campbell is more of a project. Not as good as Mario or Julius.

We could get a guard inteh sexond should Albert be gone at #21.

In that case... LIMAS SWEED.

I really like Albert and wouldn't be upset if we did take him. But, I think Albert is a reach in the first round. He is a guard and normally you can get good guards in the later rounds. The last quality gaurd taken in the first was Alen Faneca. Alot of guards chosen in the 7th round ended up being staters thier rookie season. Tackles is what you want in the first round.

Just an FYI on Guards drafted in the last 15 years or so You telling me not one of these guys has been a Good guard since Faneca?:

Recent #1 Draft Picks that were Guards

2007 #29 Ben Grubbs Auburn - Baltimore Ravens

2006 #23 Davin Joseph Oklahoma - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2005 #32 Logan Mankins Fresno State - New England Patriots

2002 #30 Kendall Simmons Auburn - Pittsburgh Steelers

2001 #2 Leonard Davis Texas - Arizona Cardinals

2001 #17 Steve Hutchinson Michigan - Seattle Seahawks

1999 #19 Luke Petitgout Notre Dame - New York Giants

1998 #7 Kyle Turley San Diego State - New Orleans Saints

1998 #26 Alan Faneca Louisiana State - Pittsburgh Steelers

1997 #10 Chris Naeole Colorado - New Orleans Saints

1997 #19 Tarik Glenn California - Indianapolis Colts

1996 #4 Jonathan Ogden UCLA - Baltimore Ravens

1996 #21 Pete Kendall Boston College - Seattle Seahawks

1996 #23 Jeff Hartings Penn State - Detroit Lions

1996 #25 Jermane Mayberry Texas A&M - Kingsville - Philadelphia Eagles

1995 #14 Ruben Brown Pittsburgh - Buffalo Bills

I think that's far enough back

So Steve Hutchinson is Garbage, Kyle Turley and Luke Petitgout are garbage? I'm not sure I can agree with that, but hey look ther PEte Kendall was a 1st Round pick. I didn't know that LOL.

btw that info is from the NFL's OWN draft history site.

And your yahoo link still thinks Ben Grubbs and Arron Sears are going to be up for grabs. They were both drafted last year in the 1st and 2nd Round I believe.

Round 1 - Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie - CB - Tennessee State

Round 2 - Lawrence Jackson - DE - USC

Round 3 - Jordy Nelson - WR - Kansas State

Round 3 - DeMario Pressley - DT - North Carolina State

Round 5 - Chad Rinehart - OG - Northern Iowa

Round 6 - Andrew Crummey - OG - Maryland

Round 7 - Marcus Howard - OLB - Georgia

Round 7 - Bobbie Williams - S - Bethune-Cookman

Round 7 - Matt Flynn - QB - LSU

i like this draft

We need to grab a OG/C and a Tacke hopefully guys that can play all 3 positions. Last year we lost jansen and thomas and we were in alot of trouble.

this position is probably one of our weakest in depth.

CB is needed , if we can get Domonique Rodgers will be great.

at DE we need depth hopefully we can pick two guys for depth.

We need a 3rd QB. Also, we need a linebacker just in case. the guy from University of miami did really well at the Pro day.

if we get hackett, we should go after this guy instead of WR in the 3rd round. we could pick up a WR in the later rounds. he is supposed to be drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round.

03/05/08 - 03/05/08 - Draft Scout Risers: Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami: Gooden stole the show at Miami's Pro Day, despite most scouts attending the workout to see fellow defenders Phillips and Campbell. The workout was especially important for Gooden, as he was red-flagged at the Senior Bowl for a hip injury and sent home early. While his Combine performance was solid, Gooden's Pro Day efforts were outstanding. A versatile linebacker with experience at all three positions, Gooden was clocked in the high 4.4s in the 40-yard dash at 6-feet-1 and 234 pounds. His 39.5-inch vertical jump in Miami was better than anyone managed at the Combine this year.

I agree that we also need a cornerback because Springs is not going to be around much longer. But we need to invest in our lines, both offensive and defensive. It would have been nice to pick up a relatively young free agent cornerback, but I'm glad we didn't reach and overpay like lots of other teams did.

I'm completely down with the OP's train of thought.

Offensive linemen taken in the first round are almost always good picks. Teams like the Eagles and Patriots love taking linemen in the first, and they don't really have problems there as a result.

I posted it in another thread but I'd love for the Skins to get:

Albert in the 1st

Best DL available in the 2nd

Best WR available in the 3rd

Compensatory pick- best OL available in the 3rd (if that's what round it is)

Build those trenches! Our o-line depth is crucial and Albert will be a stud and you can probably find a starter in the 3rd, especially with Buges coaching him up.

Plus DL and WR are riskier prospects historically when taken in the 1st, especially when the Redskins draft WR.

Archived