Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US troops rape and kill14 year old girl

Slateman

I apologize for the NUKE remark.. Just upsets me that the only news reported is the BAD THINGS americans do..

News always emphasizes the bad things. You hear about car bombings and protests all the time on the news. Even for local news, there are tiny segments devoted to good news, but it's mostly just bad.

Not to sound harsh but being in the military this doesn't surprise me. Guys that are there for a year not able to have sex or you lose a stripe and money. No wonder something like this would happen.

i served one tour in iraq and one in afganistan you cannot generalize like this. Only a few make us look bad, and that's a shame. I would say it's less than 1% that this happens it's not vietnam. haditha remember joh mutrha well we later found out how wrong he was because all of the accussed are now free

Unfortunately, in any war or conflict, women are particularly at risk for these types of attacks. It is impossible to say how common this is, especially in a country like Iraq, where "honor killings" are frequently the punishment for women and girls who have "dishonored" their families by being raped, and so these incidents are not generally reported.

Remember, rape is not about sex, it is about power and domination, so it isn't true to say this happens because soldiers aren't getting laid enough. In a situation where the line between morality and barbarism is thin, people who wouldn't otherwise commit such atrocities can be pushed over the line (see Abu Ghraib).

However, I don't think that a large percentage of US personnel are involved in this kind of behavior. They are among the most professional and well-trained in the world, and are more able to deal with the stresses of wartime than the average insurgent. Plus, Western attitudes towards women are far more advanced than those countries where barbarism supplants morality.

Unfortunately, in any war or conflict, women are particularly at risk for these types of attacks. It is impossible to say how common this is, especially in a country like Iraq, where "honor killings" are frequently the punishment for women and girls who have "dishonored" their families by being raped, and so these incidents are not generally reported.

Remember, rape is not about sex, it is about power and domination, so it isn't true to say this happens because soldiers aren't getting laid enough. In a situation where the line between morality and barbarism is thin, people who wouldn't otherwise commit such atrocities can be pushed over the line (see Abu Ghraib).

However, I don't think that a large percentage of US personnel are involved in this kind of behavior. They are among the most professional and well-trained in the world, and are more able to deal with the stresses of wartime than the average insurgent. Plus, Western attitudes towards women are far more advanced than those countries where barbarism supplants morality.

thank you for having the right opinion

Archived