Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA 8th District - Get rid of Moran

Canyonero!

Originally posted by Kilmer17

There were reporters there that day.

TEG is using the tired old. "It's only bad if the GOP does it argument".

Those Dems who were screaming for Lott's removal are where? Hiding behind Robert Byrds Confed Flag?

Right :rolleyes:

And since Moron is the leader of the DEM party - oops no he isnt.

Here is what the DEM leaders said of Moron's comments..I personally dont believe in Pelosi's last comment - I think when you are stupid enough to make comments like this - then your day of public service is over....

Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle said: "It's a sad day when comments like that are made. They debase the debate and they have no purpose."

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Joe Lieberman (news - web sites) said Moran's remarks were "deeply offensive and morally wrong." The Connecticut senator, who is Jewish, said such comments "are inconsistent with the ideals of tolerance and diversity upon which our nation was founded."

Moran's House leader, Rep. Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record) of California, said, "Congressman Moran's comments were not only inappropriate they were offensive." But she added that he had "properly apologized."

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

What did Lott say - I guess thats up to interpretation.

He said the world would be a better place if Strom Thurman had been elected President (under the Dixiecrat party).

That Dixiecrat Party's main goal was to keep Civil Rights from occurring.

Now - was Lott simply trying to honor a aged souther Senator or was he making some political off the record type of comment.

That will never truly be know - since all he has done sense then is apologize.

At least, thats my take on it.

Exactly, so to sit there and try to compare Moran's Comments to Lott's is silly. Moran flat out made a racial comment. All Lott said was "I wish Thurmon won the Presidency in 1948. We would have been better off." Hell, that could mean many things. This was also at Thurmon's retirement party which leads me to believe that he was just talking up the old fart.

You can't make the claim that both comments are equal. That's like trying to compare apples with oranges...

So the same Dems who attacked Lott can simply dismiss Morans anti semitism by saying he's apologized?

It's spelled- H Y P O C R I S Y.

But I guess it's okay because he's not the leader of the party. Only the TOP party people should be held accountable. See, no problem with the Dems and racism/anti-semitism But BTW, dont look at the Senate right now, the Dems are busy obstructing a Hispanic nominee.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a huge lag before anything was made of Lott's comments too? I seem to recall it was mostly the right wing mediots that blastd him bringing it back inot the public's line of sight. They wouldn't drop it. After a few days, the liberal mediots joined in. Then a few more days latter, Bush weighed in.

Ironic isn't it, that the right wing media has become the watchguard of polical correctness? I'm not meaning to put them down with that, only noting that it's a bit odd and ironic.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/12/09/lott.comment/

This was the first article I came to. It shows that Lott apologized 4 days after the comment was made. So it had obviously been in the news prior to that. Also of note is the comment of the former VP Gore that Lott was a "racist" . I wonder how long we'll wait to hear him call Moran an Anti-Semite?

Then what did Lott mean when he said this, taken from Kilmers cnn link...it woudl appear that both remarks (Lott and Moron's were racially charged and highly insensitive).

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either," Lott said at last week's party.

Thurmond ran as the presidential nominee of the breakaway Dixiecrat Party in the 1948 presidential race against Democrat Harry Truman and Republican Thomas Dewey. He carried Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and his home state of South Carolina, of which he was governor at the time.

During the campaign, he said, "All the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches."

Thurmond's party ran under a platform that declared in part, "We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race."

AND

since Kilmer contiues to ask for the outcry of DEMs I will continue to ask for the same consistency from the GOPers who came out and originally tried to defend Lott's remarks. Where are they in this?

So the same Dems who attacked Lott can simply dismiss Morans anti semitism by saying he's apologized?

It's spelled- H Y P O C R I S Y.

But I guess it's okay because he's not the leader of the party. Only the TOP party people should be held accountable. See, no problem with the Dems and racism/anti-semitism But BTW, dont look at the Senate right now, the Dems are busy obstructing a Hispanic nominee.

Kilmer, why must you turn everything into some sort of springboard to attack the Democrats? If I recall correctly, Daschle came out and pretty much said exactly the same thing about Lott that Pelosi just said about Moran. This is not a Dem/GOP thing. This is a stupid bigotry-laden comment thing.

I have to ask again, has Lott resigned his Senate seat? If not, why not, when there's NO difference in accountability between a party leader and that of the rank-and-file?

I dont think he should resign. But he should lose whatever power he has (commitee chairs etc). It's political because he's a politician and there is a great hypocrisy when it comes to this issue.

Gore called Lott a Racist? Has anyone called Moran an Anti-Semite?

I dont think he should resign. But he should lose whatever power he has (commitee chairs etc). It's political because he's a politician and there is a great hypocrisy when it comes to this issue.

So Lott shouldnt resign and Moron should? Is that what you are saying? Or should neither of them resign?

I say they both should step down. For being some damn stupid to begin with. :doh:

So it would help you sleep better at night if Gore called Moran an anti-semite? Fine. He's not gunning for the presidential nomination anymore, and nobody's paying attention to his opinions like they did a few months ago, but I'll give him a call and see what he thinks, ok? :rolleyes:

I dont think he should resign.

I dont know how this could be misinterpreted.

It would be nice if the same standards could be applied to all of our politicians. As it is though, Dems get a free pass on their racism, whereas the GOP gets railed for the slightest remarks.

Morans an anti semite that the Dem party leaders are defending by saying his apology is sufficient. It's not.

I dont know how this could be misinterpreted.

It would be nice if the same standards could be applied to all of our politicians. As it is though, Dems get a free pass on their racism, whereas the GOP gets railed for the slightest remarks.

Morans an anti semite that the Dem party leaders are defending by saying his apology is sufficient. It's not.

Which he are you talking about? The he that is Lott. The he that is Moron. Or the collected he's that are Lott and Moron?

Simple questions.

Neither should resign.

twist twist twist away. MAybe everyone will ignore Morans anti Semitism.

Why not just say he's an anti semite and should pay a penalty for voicing his hatred.

I did say he was an idiot (or was it Moron) and should resign. I said that about Lott too.

But you havent read my posts so far, so I dont know what I expect.

I find it ironic that some self-described conservatives on this board are railing against Moran for perpetuating a stereotype of Jews and in the next sentence they lambaste liberals as though they were a unified bloc who all think and vote indentically without exception.

Well the original Post article I found did speak of a few local VA Dems saying those comments were terrible. Anyway, like I said before, I don't want him to step down. I'd like for the Democrats of the 8th District to nominate a new Democrat during the primary.

Also, Lott's record on Civil Rights and his previous ignorant comment(s) didn't seem to be enough for him to resign. Although he did step down (albeit with a ton of pressure from his party) from his post as Senate Majority leader. Moran has a record of pro-Palestinian support and policies that (in my opinion) border on anti-Israel. Being Pro-Palestinian is fine, but when you combine that with what he's said recently and historically, it makes you think about his motivations.

The truly sad thing is that these are the people that we elect to represent us.

None of them truly give a crap about the people they represent.

It is only "How much face time can I get in front of the camera."

How about you Congressmen and women get to the work that helps Americans. When the time comes that the only jobs out there for Americans are low paying service jobs, and nobody is purchasing the big ticket items because they can't afford them, it will be too late.

Sorry to interrupt this debate but that's how I feel.

Well, like I said on page 1 of this thread, Democrats increasingly hostile attitude towards Israel is going to cause a major shift in Jewish voting trends.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17878-2003Mar12.html

It's true there's only 5.2 million Jews in the US, but since the majority of them are in 2 states (NY & FL) that are very important to Dems, this will be a huge problem for them in the near future.

Canyonero,

I'm not sure what to make of Peolsi's statement yesterday that Moran has lost teh support of the democratic party. I saw it as a scrolling headline lastnight on CNN. IT looks like you might get your wish about the Dems going a different way in the next election.

Archived