Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Salute To Diron Vester Talbert (1,000 Post)

MEANDWARF

One of my favorite possessions (favorite?) is a football signed by the entire 1971 Redskins team. Diron's name is up toward the top along with Billy Kilmer and Sonny. It was given to me by my neighbor Charley Harraway when I was in a car accident. Diron was a beast.

Charley Harraway was a hell of a fullback blocking for The great Larry Brown at that time too.

Charley lived two doors down from my family in Reston. Super nice guy, and his wife was a sweetheart too. My sisters babysat for his kid, "Chucky." Chucky would let their dog loose from their fenced in yard about four times per week. I think they had several dogs over the couple of years they lived there because at least a couple of them disappeared into the Reston forests (back when there were forests). I remember Charley coming home in the afternoons after practice, and all of us kids would ride over there and "welcome" him home. He would be carrying his playbook, and would spend a few minutes talking to us all.

I also delivered the Washington Star to that section of Reston (Hunter's Woods) on my bike every afternoon. Bill Brundige was on my route, too (Charley Taylor was just over in the next section). I remember every time I had to do collections, and going to Mr Brundige's house to "collect my $2.00." He had to duck to fit under the door. I would say, "I want my $2." ;-) He would then call his wife, who I swear .. had to be about 5'1". Good times.

I have wanted to get in touch with him since then (~1971), but lost touch when he went to play in Birmingham, and I just found out he lives about two hours away from me here in Florida.

Charley helped Larry Brown achieve his rushing records.

For all you draft choice fiends.....you would have hated George Allen and his Over the Hill Gang. George hated drafted choices and traded them away for trusted veterans. We went for years without a number one draft choice....and he won year after year after year....it can be done with the right player evaluation.

Very true.

BUT .. George Allen was an artist of the pre- free agent days for signing veterans, and did it with Picasso-like skill.

Vinny was like a 5 year old with a "Barney, the Purple Dinosaur" coloring book, and a used 10-pack of crayons.

Let's hope Bruce possesses the same talent-spotting skills as his father!

I met him when I was waiting in the office of William Ramsey Elementary (1974?) to talk to the principal as he came in to do a community thing. It paid to have gotten in trouble that day! He asked me what I did and when I told him (I don't even remember what it was) he just laughed...smacked me on the melon and said to behave. No ****. He was one of my favorites as a kid.

Guys like 79,72,55,37 are the reason i'm a skins fan today great post.Tell our owner to bring these great redskin players around training camp i would love for my sons to meet them

I'd love it if they would come in to meet the newer Skins and share some of their stories - and their hatred for the Pukes.

Hail Diron Talbert!

Archived