Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Calais Campbell highlights and other draft thoughts

bedlamVR

FA is a little slow at the moment so maybe people would be interested in some possible draft day highlights

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=10341232

I am not professing any scouting ability by any meeans but he kind of looks lanky in these vids and odd looking for a 285lbs DE . I think if anything he is too tall and plays very upright and may have trouble getting leverage against NFL tackles and would have to really work to keep his pads down .

Also I know the O line is an issue and last year the draft we had DTs doing back flips how about a 315 OL doing cartwheels

http://mvn.com/nfl-draft/2008/02/17/scouting-report-robert-felton-og-arkansas/

Could be an interesting development guy....

Thoughts ?

Who do you want in the draft then Oldskool?

Any other DE in the 1st that will be there other than Campbell.

Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC

Quentin Groves, DE/OLB, Auburn

Cliff Avril, DE/OLB, Purdue

Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

Should all be there in the late 1st round.

I agree that Lawrence Jackson may be a better pick. He'll be available throughout the 1st round. I'm hoping that we can trade down with Pittsburgh (who might be targeting Brandon Albert), Tennessee (who might be targeting Sweed) or Seattle (who might be targeting a running back that could go to Dallas at #22). Picking up another 2nd or 3rd round pick would be a real coup.

Those are great clips and he' someone to watch. Obviously in just a few clips it is hard to judge how he'll play in the NFL. Loved it when he stopped that back dead in his tracks though - that showed some versatility. It would be nice to see some clips of him not doing so well so we could see what his weaknesses are.

Montgomery also had the physical tools and skill set to work with.

Campbell doesn't.

Actually, I think Campbell may. Only difference is, you don't draft lazy projects in the 1st round. You take those gambles in the 5th round at the earliest.

]']Actually' date=' I think Campbell may. Only difference is, you don't draft lazy projects in the 1st round. You take those gambles in the 5th round at the earliest.[/quote']

If he didn't go to school at Miami, even with his outstanding sophomore year, he'd be projected in the middle rounds.

I agree that Lawrence Jackson may be a better pick. He'll be available throughout the 1st round. I'm hoping that we can trade down with Pittsburgh (who might be targeting Brandon Albert), Tennessee (who might be targeting Sweed) or Seattle (who might be targeting a running back that could go to Dallas at #22). Picking up another 2nd or 3rd round pick would be a real coup.
hmm i like him but him being a USC DE scares me.

If he didn't go to school at Miami, even with his outstanding sophomore year, he'd be projected in the middle rounds.

Miami sucked the last few years so hype is not as big of a factor. 2004 was their last big year of prospects.

Countless reports have said Campbell does have the raw talent. It's his work ethic that's questionable.

I am not advocating drafting Campbell due to this questionable work ethic, but it's wrong to say he doesn't possess the physical tools when many of the reports agree that he does.

Also, Oldskool, looking at the guys you listed saying you want:

Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC

This guy is possible

Quentin Groves, DE/OLB, Auburn

He will be a 3-4 OLB, he does not have the size to be an every down DE in the 4-3

Cliff Avril, DE/OLB, Purdue

Don't know much about him, but it sounds like another 3-4 OLB

Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

Also seems like a tweener unless it's true that he has bulked up. I would not mind if that's the case.

Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

This is the one guy I would want to draft at 21.

Perhaps what I enjoy about this the most is the whole "Calais Campbell had one good year and only had 6.5 sacks last year, we should skip him and draft phillip merling. Much better pick!" Yeah, the same Phillip Merling who had 7 sacks last year. The same Phillip Merling who had 2.5 sacks the year before that. Come on, Merling is no better a prospect than Campbell. His combine wasn't all that impressive either.

Gaines Adams had 21 reps last year, Jamaal Anderson had 22. Jarvis Moss had 16 reps. Matthias Kiwanuka had 17 reps. It's not the end of the world. He's a tall guy, it's harder for him to bench as many.

However, he doesn't have that elite first step. He is not an extremely fast player, but he does have adequate speed. And personally I'd rather take a guy who shows the potential of his 10.5 sack season and 6.5 sacks is a disappointment rather than a guy who shows his potential in a 7 sack season. Personally I want Brandon Albert but if I had to choose a defensive end at our first round I'd choose Campbell. If he slips beyond the 5th pick of the 2nd I would fully support our team trading our 2nd and 3rd to get him.

That's the only thing that worries me about Jackson. Does he need to play with a very good DT to be successful?

I call it the Ryan Sims syndrome. You play in college with a very good player beside you and suddenly you look like a first rounder. Ryan Sims was the DT beside Julius Peppers at UNC, he went 6th overall in 2002 and is now a backup on his second team. I don't know if that is the case with Jackson but he doesn't look very good in those highlights, just a guy in the right place at the right time.

In one of the clips he goes completely unblocked because the guard in front of him is double teaming sedrick ellis. And from those clips he has one pass rush move, just blindly charging upfield and hoping he outruns the tackle. He didn't really even use his hands to get those blockers off him. Sure, this video is only a small portion of what he has done but these "highlights" don't really seem to speak highly of his technique or ability. He may end up good and I wouldn't mind using our second rounder on him, but I'd rather spend that pick on Jordy Nelson if we wanted to get a tall receiver, Roy Schuening if we still need a guard, Pat Sims if we want more talent at DT or Dajuan Morgan if we want to address our safety issues. I'm leery of lesser talent putting up great stats because they are surrounded by great talent.

I call it the Ryan Sims syndrome. You play in college with a very good player beside you and suddenly you look like a first rounder. Ryan Sims was the DT beside Julius Peppers at UNC, he went 6th overall in 2002 and is now a backup on his second team. I don't know if that is the case with Jackson but he doesn't look very good in those highlights, just a guy in the right place at the right time.

In one of the clips he goes completely unblocked because the guard in front of him is double teaming sedrick ellis. And from those clips he has one pass rush move, just blindly charging upfield and hoping he outruns the tackle. He didn't really even use his hands to get those blockers off him. Sure, this video is only a small portion of what he has done but these "highlights" don't really seem to speak highly of his technique or ability. He may end up good and I wouldn't mind using our second rounder on him, but I'd rather spend that pick on Jordy Nelson if we wanted to get a tall receiver, Roy Schuening if we still need a guard, Pat Sims if we want more talent at DT or Dajuan Morgan if we want to address our safety issues. I'm leery of lesser talent putting up great stats because they are surrounded by great talent.

Very wisely spoken. You've just convinced me to stay away from Jackson.:applause:

Any other DE we should avoid in the draft?

You know I wasn't a big fan of this guy until I seen this tape on him. Since he's 6'8" He's not going to time out great, but he plays fast. He's explosive at the line and he good at changing directions. Because he's so lankey If he gets off the edge he can create havoc by stripping the ball. I think he can be really special. I think we have great defensive coaches like blache who could make him a superstar. He needs to get a lot stronger though.

Trust me, Jackson did receive his fair share of single coverage because he was paid with Ellis and yes if he were to take him to replace Daniels he would be playing next to a 1-gap DT not a zero or 2 gap like Ellis.

But to say that Jackosn is a one trick pony is showing that you haven't watched any USC football at all. Both players complimented each other, when they'd double Ellis, Jackson would feast and vice versa. If anything, and this is supported by scouting reports, Jackson's weak area is run support and thats not much of a weakness either.

His comparisons to Sims/Peppers is understandable if you've only watched him play a few games and a bowl or two.

Calais Campbell, for better or worse, seems like Philip Daniels' clone: The exact same type of player.

I've fluctuated on whether or not to draft this guy. I need to go back and watch my VT vs. Miami DVDs and give him the scout treatment....

The bench press numbers don't scare me at all.

Archived