Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Malcolm Kelly and other 1st round players

kiingspadee

If we're going to take any WR in the 1st I'd rather have Malcolm Kelly, over Sweed. Sweed's got good speed and agility, but Kelly has the physicality that I think we need in a big guy.

Sorry, I think Sweed is just as physical as Kelly. Besides, Kelly won't be there when we pick. Let's hope the Bucks don't take him in front of us in the draft.

But getting back to Sweed, I think he is quicker to get to his point on the field than Kelly, which you alluded to. But believe me, Sweed is very physical. Check out these clips:

Limas Sweed Highlight Video

Malcolm Kelly won't make it past the 11th pick in the draft.

The Bills are going to draft him. They only have one passing target in Lee Evans...they were 30th in the league in passing and only had 12 passing TD's.

Already been reported that they are interested in him.

Anyhow....no way we go WR in the 1st round.

Malcolm Kelly won't make it past the 11th pick in the draft.

The Bills are going to draft him. They only have one passing target in Lee Evans...they were 30th in the league in passing and only had 12 passing TD's.

Already been reported that they are interested in him.

Anyhow....no way we go WR in the 1st round.

I think we will go WR in the first round. Just the way Vinny was throwing out names at the WR position and Vinny didn't mentioned any DEs or other defensive players' names in his interviews regarding the draft. Just a hunch that's not based on any facts.

I think we will go WR in the first round. Just the way Vinny was throwing out names at the WR position and Vinny didn't mentioned any DEs or other defensive players' names in his interviews regarding the draft. Just a hunch that's not based on any facts.

I wouldnt mind drafting a WR but I'd prefer it to be later in the draft.

We have bigger holes to fill with the 1st round pick.

I wouldnt mind drafting a WR but I'd prefer it to be later in the draft.

We have bigger holes to fill with the 1st round pick.

You are right about the defensive holes along with other priorities, but I still think we will go WR in the first to compliment Jason Campbell. Vinny seems to be happy with taking defensive players in the 2nd round on.

I personally think taking a WR is not a bad decision. Why overpay for a big target WR in FA. Makes no sense, so look for the Skins to compliment Zorn and Jason with WR. We are not going to fill every hole with this draft. So be competitive with the competition that we will face with our schedule.

Besides, if you go with a WR in the later rounds, you may as well keep that pick for something else the team needs and insert Mix as the big target WR.

I haven't done any statistical analysis on this, but it seems like 1st round WR's are less likely to succeed than 1st round D-lineman or O-lineman. It may just be that WR is talked about more, since it is a skill position. But for the past couple of years, the best rookie WR have been 2nd or 3rd round draft picks.

As far as instant success goes, I think we'd be better off to add a WR via free agency and draft a D-lineman in the first round. Quality DE (and even DT) are almost impossible to find in free agency. And the ones that are there will cost half the salary cap. On the other hand, there will seemingly be several WR available that can probably be had at a reasonable price. I'll be criticized for suggesting this, but Stallworth (assuming he's released) had a lot of success in the WCO for Philly two years ago.

You are right about the defensive holes along with other priorities, but I still think we will go WR in the first to compliment Jason Campbell. Vinny seems to be happy with taking defensive players in the 2nd round on.

I personally think taking a WR is not a bad decision. Why overpay for a big target WR in FA. Makes no sense, so look for the Skins to compliment Zorn and Jason with WR. We are not going to fill every hole with this draft. So be competitive with the competition that we will face with our schedule.

Besides, if you go with a WR in the later rounds, you may as well keep that pick for something else the team needs and insert Mix as the big target WR.

If we go WR in the 1st I think we should get James Hardy... 6'6 220...maybe even trade back a few spots and we should still get him.

Address the d-line in free agency...theres a few guys I like... Travis Laboy..Corey Williams...Antwan Odom.

If we go WR in the 1st I think we should get James Hardy... 6'6 220...maybe even trade back a few spots and we should still get him.

Address the d-line in free agency...theres a few guys I like... Travis Laboy..Corey Williams...Antwan Odom.

James Hardy plays in a vanilla conference, he might be tall but that doesn't equate to being the best at your position because you haven't gone up against the best.

Kelly and Sweed are the real deal due to the fact that they play a tougher schedule than Hardy. If you go to youtube.com and search for James Hardy you will see what I mean. Indiana University doesn't have the schedule that Kelly and Sweed play in. Check this clip out of James Hardy and see if you get the feeling that he is playing a step above a Pop Warner league. I'm not trying to put you down but my point is you have to draft the best in order to compete with the best.

Buying players in free agency makes no sense if you can get a player from the draft that will be with us longer and won't tie up our CAP room.

I haven't done any statistical analysis on this, but it seems like 1st round WR's are less likely to succeed than 1st round D-lineman or O-lineman. It may just be that WR is talked about more, since it is a skill position. But for the past couple of years, the best rookie WR have been 2nd or 3rd round draft picks.

As far as instant success goes, I think we'd be better off to add a WR via free agency and draft a D-lineman in the first round. Quality DE (and even DT) are almost impossible to find in free agency. And the ones that are there will cost half the salary cap. On the other hand, there will seemingly be several WR available that can probably be had at a reasonable price. I'll be criticized for suggesting this, but Stallworth (assuming he's released) had a lot of success in the WCO for Philly two years ago.

Courtney Brown, does that ring a bell to you? We could throw statistics around all day and still disagree on how to build and maintain a damn good team.

Joe Gibbs and staff gave us a rock solid backup core of players from the draft and, yes, free agency. But, if we had more picks from the draft in previous years' drafts, I think we would have gone with the draft as a source of building youth and quality players.

Spending money for yesterday's stars to my way of thinking keeps us behind the eight ball, and thus, makes us a second tier team. JMHO

If Kelly falls to us, Vinny would be SILLY not to draft him. He is the prototypical big WCO wideout.

I agree with you. And, if Sweed is there I would pick him in the first with our selection.

We can rest assure that Kelly woundn't be there at #21, but Sweed should be there.

If, by some stretch of the imagination, Kelly and Sweed are there at #21, I would say also, Kelly. That's not to say, IMO, that Kelly is that much better than Sweed. Just two different styles of play making. But the bottom line is that they both are game breakers in the mode of Toomer, Owens and Randy Moss.

Don't know about the first calim, but I do think this brings up a very, very important point. Malcolm Kelly is a hell of a player, but if you want someone who is going to contribute right NOW, then a WR is definitely not the way to go. WR almost always take two, three, sometimes four years to be impact players. I know that's a bold statement, but its hard to come up with evidence otherwise. There are rare exceptions like Marques Colston, but even WR who were practically worshipped coming out of college (see: Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson) had at best decent rookie seasons.

I'm not saying we shouldn't draft Kelly if he drops to us. But he's not going to make a "major" contribution until 2009 or 2010.

i day draft kelly for his rapping skills alone. he'll motivate the rest of the team in the locker room. i know i was pumped up after that video.

seriously though....i know we're all about drafting whats best for the team. the wr position is hard to ignore because it's been thrown in our face year after year that we need some height in that position and after reading what vinny was saying.....it seems like thats the direction we're heading. i say draft number 4.......take your pick.

another reason i REALLY want a tall receiver is because i'm a huge campbell fan and i feel that if he doesn't have the right guys in place for him to throw to, his progress will actually regress (( if thats a word )) and he'll be on a short leash. also......didn't we finish 8th in the league or something in overall defense. 3rd if you took away the new england game. someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think looking at that stat, makes more sense to work on the offense which averaged what......13 points or something. i could be wayyy off here and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Oh, man, I hope he doesn't try a rapping career while playing wr...we've already had 1 of those.

(I use past tense in a hopeful fashion)

On a more serious note, I don't like the drop at :36 of the original video...it was a good play by the DB, but you have to be ready for that when he's on your hip.

Archived