Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Organic gardening, anyone in to the hobby?

CHUBAKAH

Did a search and couldn't even find the word Hydroponics on the site. Quite interesting.

In any event, I was curious if anyone is in to the hobby at all? I actually studied horticulture and agriculture in college, and more importantly organic gardening.

You can't go in to a store today without finding the word "Organic" even on the friggin milk cartons.

While I was very spoiled living in California for the last 19 years and having very long growing seasons, I find myself wanting to get back in to indoor growing. [not to mention vegetables look like **** in the stores on the easy coast]

Any other organic growers out here?

BTW you "Heads out there" Stay out of my thread ****es!

Hydroponics & Indoor Gardening ~

That's a joke right.... I once read about a guy - who knew a guy - who knew a guy - that actually had a degree in Hydroponics... The word was = his "Tomatos" were harvested every three months & he was making some really good $$$ w/ his organic growing of "Vegetables".... I think they were Green though...LOL....

Sorry man... I couldn't resist....when I saw the title of your thread....:laugh:

P.S. - Do a little more searching via the net, and you can find everthing you need w/ respect to "Legal Hydroponic Growing Equipment & Supplies".....

That's a joke right.... I once read about a guy - who knew a guy - who knew a guy - that actually had a degree in Hydroponics... The word was = his "Tomatos" were harvested every three months & he was making some really good $$$ w/ his organic growing of "Vegetables".... I think they were Green though...LOL....

Sorry man... I couldn't resist....when I saw the title of your thread....:laugh:

P.S. - Do a little more searching via the net, and you can find everthing you need w/ respect to "Legal Hydroponic Growing Equipment & Supplies".....

Did you miss the part where I said I have a degree in organic horticulture? Or maybe your just an ******* begging for attention?

Which one is it?

Lighten-up man.... It was simply a Joke!....

However, you might want to revisit your initial post ~ "I did a search on a football forum and couldn't locate anything on "Hydroponics"..... That's a "Stumper".....:rolleyes:

Yes, I'm guessing you didn't read my entire three lines of response, because I Stated that if you Continue Searching on the Net, you will find all the sources you need! ~ I'm also guessing that seeing as you have years of experience and a degree in "Said" industry ~ you should have an inside track on where to locate such supplies and general info.: proper lighting, nutrients, timers, kits - etc....

Perhaps These will help:

www.hydroponics.net

www.hydrowarehouse.com

www.cheaphydroponics.com

And yes, I totally respect your degree and profession! ~ :cheers:

However, you might want to revisit your initial post ~ "I did a search on a football forum and couldn't locate anything on "Hydroponics"..... That's a "Stumper".....:rolleyes:

This is the tailgate, and we talk about everything here. The stadium is where we talk football.

Yes, I'm guessing you didn't read my entire three lines of response, because I Stated that if you Continue Searching on the Net, you will find all the sources you need! ~ I'm also guessing that seeing as you have years of experience and a degree in "Said" industry ~ you should have an inside track on where to locate such supplies and general info.: proper lighting, nutrients, timers, kits - etc....

I'm sorry, but where did I ask for information on sources that you so kindly have pointed out?

I asked if there were others that were in to the hobby.

Thanks for hi jacking the thread though.

:doh:

May as well close the thread mods. It's obvious this subject is way too much for the average intellect of the Extremeskins poster.

Not a single post on the subject yet.

:doh:

Keep your head up, the thread has only been open for like 6 hours, someone else will respond.

I did a science project on it in..middle school or high school. It was pretty neat. I had to use these red pebble like things and add nitrogen and all of those nutrients and such. I tried it on a small scale though and I remember it cost a lot(as a youngin). How expensive does it get on the large scale? And do you know what I'm talking about with the red pebble things?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do with your degrees? Sounds interesting.

I'm also interested in the hobby, and not of the THC variety either.

Are there systems that run on something other that electric power?

I'd like to try some small home green house gardenning too.

Hang in there Chewy, It's an interesting topic. More will comment in the vein you were seeking.

brief off topic question:

on another note, are there any people interested in Beekeeping and home honey production? If there are, I'll start a thread on it too. It's another recent interest I've had.

I plan on an organic garden this spring...lots of work as the plot went to weeds last year...but it is a ways off...snow is still waist deep here!

by the way I woke up today thinking about gardening and how I might need to cover the whole plot in black pastic to kill everything and start fresh...Chuk...do you know how long I would need to cover it to kill all the weeds that started last year??? The plot is about 40' x 100'.

Good Thread!

Hostile environment.

I would say that is the reason for so few responses. Have an organic beer/wine.

Not to mention if you haven't found a topic on it.... HH, Mick, Burgold, briesenwhatever, Sarge, and some others aren't really that into it.

Surely on the net you can find some forum, interest group, or maybe even local growers. Geez, maybe even the local Organic grocery store would be able to help you. I can't believe you are so uptight about this.

I don't know much about it buy my grandfather apparently was real big into organic gardening. I don't know how it came up one time with my family, since he passed away 20 years ago, but they even mentioned that he was into the magazine and even kept an outhouse in his garden area. They seemed to think he was a bit crazy about it. As a kid I remember he had a huge garden area in his backyard, and always tended to it (in his retirement), I think he also had some type of greenhouse. I wish I could help out, my dad was also into gardening. Me, I'd find it more interesting if I had a large spacious backyard like in New Jersey or Northern Virginia.

I can't believe you are so uptight about this.

Hydroponics have ALLWAYS been associated with growing marijuana, and that talk is exactly what I wanted to stay away from. I've been told by others that I have some very unusual hobbies, organic gardening being one of them. I was curious if there were any others with any experience. I'm not looking for any advice on the topic, just some conversation, clean conversation on the topic.

How expensive does it get on the large scale? And do you know what I'm talking about with the red pebble things?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do with your degrees? Sounds interesting.

The red pebbles you are referring to is called Hydroton Grow Rock. This hydroponic growing medium is made from expanded clay. It is pH neutral, sterile, highly aerated and fairly light in weight. Hydroton is made in Germany and is widely used in HydroCulture or Luwasa growing systems.

I use it myself, and have for years.

TBH I don't use my degree in my profession, however it has been very helpful over the years. I have had vegetable gardens at almost every place I have lived.

I suppose the sky is the limit as far as expense. I had not had the need to use any lights until now, but I am sure even that could add up to quite a bit if you had a ton of them.

I toured a butter crunch lettuce company several years back who I am sure had millions invested. From seed however they grew a head of it every 45 days. I believe naturally the grow term is around 90 days?

Are there systems that run on something other that electric power?

I'd like to try some small home green house gardenning too.

Hang in there Chewy, It's an interesting topic. More will comment in the vein you were seeking.

brief off topic question:

on another note, are there any people interested in Beekeeping and home honey production? If there are, I'll start a thread on it too. It's another recent interest I've had.

I am not familiar with any systems that use no power, but the current system I have I have run outdoors only, so my only need for power was to pump fluid for fifteen minutes six times a day.

Before you ask I currently have the Euro Garden

As far as bee keeping, while I have not done it 100% myself, I have a very close friend in CA that does it, and has for more than twenty years. It's still just a hobby to him, but he makes a ton of cash at it.

I went out with him several times over the years collecting swarms when they would split and leave the hive. Pretty crazy stuff, and used to scare the crap out of me.

He's not the type to even use a computer, but if you had some kind of a particular question, I am sure he would talk to you. He's very passionate about the hobby, and can talk about it for days.

Best honey he would make was the hives near the orange groves where some local farmers would let him keep some hives.

I plan on an organic garden this spring...lots of work as the plot went to weeds last year...but it is a ways off...snow is still waist deep here!

by the way I woke up today thinking about gardening and how I might need to cover the whole plot in black pastic to kill everything and start fresh...Chuk...do you know how long I would need to cover it to kill all the weeds that started last year??? The plot is about 40' x 100'.

Good Thread!

Instead of using black plastic, and you have the time, go to a farmers store and ask for a soil sterilizer, and tell them you are about to start a garden. Maybe Pramitol or Sahara DG. Those will kill everything in site, and about the time your ready to plow, or till the area, the soil will be safe for planting. Black plastic is only temporary, as is anything else. If the wind blows, so will seed from weeds. There's no magic with soil, only contained organic type gardening. You will have to weed your garden.

I always see this thing in the skymall cato's called the Aerogarden.

Probably not a bad idea for a starter

Aeroponics uses misters that shoot nutrients directly at the roots, and has no real medium. The amount of oxygen is also dramatically increased forcing the plant to grow extremely fast. While it would be very good for smaller plants with little weight, it is pretty much useless for tomato's and any other tall standing plant that fruits.

For an all around product that you can start out really small with, and expand if you like, I would recommend the Waterfarm

I'm pretty sure that system was the very first available to the public more than 25 years ago. You can pretty much grow anything you want in that, and if you decide you don't like it, they are a only small investment.

Also, after you get one, you can buy the parts at Home Depot and build them for about 20 bucks a piece.

;)

BTW you "Heads out there" Stay out of my thread ****es!
That hurt man. It hurt deep. You broke my spirit bro, where's the love? I thought we had something. :cry: I like funny looking vegetables and stuff too. Can't we all just get along?

Oh, you mean "pot"heads? Well, we're cool then. You're my boy, blue.

I am actually very much into the hobby, I have been growing my own organic garden for the last 2 years, and it's one of the smartest things I ever did. I get it all for pennies compared to the store, and it's better.

Salad any tie I want, fresh steamed vegetables, all of it. I can't get enough.

I am actually very much into the hobby, I have been growing my own organic garden for the last 2 years, and it's one of the smartest things I ever did. I get it all for pennies compared to the store, and it's better.

Salad any tie I want, fresh steamed vegetables, all of it. I can't get enough.

What type of a system do you have set up?

Man, I never expected a thread about hydroponics to get a sarcastic comment or two. Especially after the thread starter warned people he was seriously serious... I mean, its not like that was practically an open invitation for jackasses everywhere to comment.

For shame, people, FOR SHAME!

Way to add to the conversation!

:cheers:

Dick

Archived