Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Organic gardening, anyone in to the hobby?

CHUBAKAH

one of my co-workers has a degree in environmental science. when she taught at a private school, she had a kick ass hydroponic set up growing tomatoes in an intricate network of rain gutters. i don't personally know much about it, but that's what i have to add. if you ever have a question (i know you're not looking for advice here), shoot me a pm, i'll ask her.

hey chewie, i run a ebb and flow hydro setup. I have a small closet build, where i run BC organic nutes and additives. here is the setup . . .

4x2x6ft "closet' built out of OSB and 2x4's. 25 gallon rubbermade resivoir. The flow table is made out of a plastic sink dish pan. I have 4 net pots, filled with hydrotron in this system. i run a 400w mh for veg and 400w HPS for flowering, they are on a switchable ballast, so i dont have to change anything but a switch and a bulb for flowering. the light is vented from the chamber, and i also have a squirrel blower which replaces the volume of air every min. I run 3 feeding schedules on 6hr intervals during the rooting stage, and i will increase it to 4 feedings once they have rooted out and start to grow. i usually run 150 tds reading during rooting, mkove it up to 300-500 for the first 2 weeks of veg, then from 500-700 until flowering. i change the res usually every 2 weeks. If you have any other questions on my setup, feel free to ask :)

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this for two reasons. I am planning on starting an outdoor garden this spring and could use some tips. The other reason is because it's funny. When I searched for it as "gardens" the next thread was "why I lost faith in humanity" , which is also fairly amusing.

So, any tips on starting a garden outside?

KB, it's okay to start new threads :)

that said, my advice would be to not overlook soil PH. You can buy a tester at any garden center for very cheap. It will tell you if your soil is acidic or basic, and you can look up to see what kind of PH the fruits/vegetables you'll be growing prefer.

Around here, adding lime to the soil before you put tomatoes in the ground is a must, because of the acidity of the soil. Most people don't even think of this though, and are more concerned with fertilizer, etc. (Also a very easy way to tell if you have acidic soil is if azaleas, rhotodendruns, and dogwoods all flourish around you.) If the PH levels in your soil isn't correct, you're just :jerk: ing off.

I also recommend adding peat moss to the soil, especially if you have a lot of clay before you till it. Peat will greatly improve water retension and will prevent soil compaction, which can happen in just a few weeks after you've tilled.

As for fertilizers and methods, that is a complete can of worms. No advice there, other than there are several different ways to go, and I'm sure most of them work fine. And believe it or not, simply hitting your plants with Miracle Gro is just fine.

Archived