Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just War Principles

Zguy28

What, you're saying every internet site isn't brimming with honest facts!?! :laugh:

Well, there are a few reputable sites. Emphasis on A FEW. ;) But generally, I've become a tailgate cynic. If someone doesn't post a link, nor mention the NAME of the site, there's usually a reason for that. :)

I can't believe you spent time investigating the link :laugh:

I'm like that. :doh:

And I'm bored out of my ever-loving mind, waiting to leave work in an hour or so.

Maybe I should check out that cam site Jumbo was talking about. :laugh:

I'm like that. :doh:

And I'm bored out of my ever-loving mind, waiting to leave work in an hour or so.

Maybe I should check out that cam site Jumbo was talking about. :laugh:

Could I PM you some research papers to write for me? :laugh: Better yet, I should just probably stop fricking around in the ES tailgate and get to writin'

Are you guys really saying he just made up the just war theory? If so, while I only agree with it in part, he is in great intellectual company coming up with a time honored opinion (see Augistine). I studied it in highschool in religion classes and in a church history class. It was an attempt to justify a nonpacifist approach when some of the more famous teaching of Christianity are pacifist ("turn the other cheak").

Sometimes, I get sad that as religious as our society becomes, it does so with so very little sense of the history of the thoughts espoused or demonized. For as much as people in this thread take the idea as an quaint theory that doesn't fit today, I believe the Catholic church still stands by the just war theory. At least it did when I was in highschool.

If it seems too hard to meet the criteria for such a war, it is meant to be a hard standard to meet. War is a tragedy, and the reasoning for it and the way it is waged should be looked at with harsh standards. :(

If it seems too hard to meet the criteria for such a war, it is meant to be a hard standard to meet. War is a tragedy, and the reasoning for it and the way it is waged should be looked at with harsh standards. :(

I bet the Jews killed during the First Crusade would agree. :)

BTW, I did find the link. Looks like a professor at Mt. Holyoke University. Not as bad as I suspected, but still not my cup of tea as far as sources go.

....not that I should be the litmus test by any means, but...

I'm kind of curious why you were so hell bent on finding a source for what amounts to a philosophical discussion. If these were presented as some sort of facts I could see why you would want a source.

"I came across this on a site," flies these days.

OK.

:doh:

Comeon Hog, I know you can post something of substance besides comedy.
BTW, I did find the link. Looks like a professor at Mt. Holyoke University. Not as bad as I suspected, but still not my cup of tea as far as sources go.

You are correct. I pulled it from this site.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/pol116/justwar.htm

And I never said it was fact. I just wanted to evaluate the USA's history of involvement with war with regards to the framework of those principles. :rolleyes:

....not that I should be the litmus test by any means...
Definitely a good observation.

I'm kind of curious why you were so hell bent on finding a source for what amounts to a philosophical discussion. If these were presented as some sort of facts I could see why you would want a source.

That's what I was wondering. The principles can be evaluated on their individual merits, then applied (or not) to Iraq, and no source need be cited. Unless the topic is the exact definition of Just War Doctrine, of course, and I don't think that's an area of contention at this time. Heck, Zguy28 could have made the whole thing up, and it would still be a valid springboard for discussion.

Archived