Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could a Free Agent OL Improve our Offense?

Veretax

I was reading on CBS Sportsline that there are a number of Olinemen that are free agents, My question is are any of these, are young enough to be worth bringing in long term for the skins. So what do you guys think, are any of these guys worth looking at in FA?

(I didn't include Faneca btw, because I think he's too old, but these others I don't know as much about and was curious what you guys thought?)

Free Agent Olineman:

From this page on CBS Sportsline

Guards:

Jacob Bell, G, Tennessee Titans (Age: 31): He has developed into a power player for the Titans. He is part of a good offensive line that doesn't get the attention it deserves. He has 31 starts the past two seasons.

Ryan Lilja, G, Indianapolis Colts (Age: 26): He has developed into a good player the past two years and he is a big reason the Colts' running game has improved. The way guards got paid last year, he will get his this time around.

Jake Scott, G, Indianapolis Colts (Age: 26): He has started 48 games the past three seasons for a good offense. And he's only 26. At 290 pounds, he's not big enough to play in all systems.

Tackle/Guards:

Stacy Andrews, T-G, Cincinnati Bengals (Age: 26): He can play both guard and tackle and filled in nicely last year when injuries hit Willie Anderson. Andrews moved to right tackle and played well.

Maurice Williams, T-G, Jacksonville Jaguars (Age: 29): He was benched as the team's right tackle this season when the Jags signed Tony Pashos, but Williams played well when he started the final two months at guard. He can play both positions, which will help his value.

Tackle:

Max Starks, T, Pittsburgh Steelers (Age: 25): He was a starter at right tackle in the Super Bowl season of 2005 and in 2006, but lost his job this season in camp. When injuries hit, he moved to left tackle and played well. He's a huge man at 6-8 and 335 pounds. He did end the season on IR with a knee injury, but it isn't serious.

All but one are under 30, the question is have the performed well enough to be depth at Guard (Or start over Kendall) or start at tackle over Jansen/Wade Heyer?

We should definately take a look. We need a starter and some quality depth at both Guard and Tackle.

That's what I'm thinking if we can sign one of these guys to a reasonable long term deal and they work out, then we maybe don't have to take an OG or OT quite as early in the draft (we sure could if we wanted to though).

I still think they should draft an OG somewhere, but Pucillo doesnt cut it nor does Wade if you ask me.

I think with our healthy line we may get another year or two out of what we have. I don't think FA O-Line is worth it, just because of the price. We would be better off IMO going through the draft and paying less and developing. I think this line can be great again, when all healthy.

I think with our healthy line we may get another year or two out of what we have. I don't think FA O-Line is worth it, just because of the price. We would be better off IMO going through the draft and paying less and developing. I think this line can be great again, when all healthy.

I agree! Thomas et al are all solid. The draft will groom others as depth and eventual starters. Heyer will improve through camp and might replace Jansen. That's our weakest position and if there is not a DE at the 21st pick I would consider a RT or CB; whichever is the BPA

I'd be interested to know more about this guy. Sometimes it's the ones who are dismissed as being too small that have the most fire to succeed (Wes Welker...). He's young, has three years of starting 16 games, and he might have the fire we need. Also, if he's smaller than most, he's probably craftier than most too. That's a huge plus for OL.

:2cents:

Jake Scott, G, Indianapolis Colts (Age: 26): He has started 48 games the past three seasons for a good offense. And he's only 26. At 290 pounds, he's not big enough to play in all systems.

I don't think we have any immediate needs unless we get rid of somebody. We should use our picks to get some depth at guard though. Either that or pick up a cheap but promising free agent. We've all seen what Joe Bugel can do with linemen.

Line is getting old fast.

We need youth on both lines.

I'd be happy to bring in some young offensive linemen that you mentioned. Will they help the offense? Maybe. But injuries can derail an offense. Young depth or even to come in and start and move one of our vets to the bench, I'm all for it.

I really dont think we need an offense lineman in free agency... When are o-line is healthy we have one of the best offensive lines in the game... now lets just say we should get a free agent offensive lineman, alan fenaca would be my choice...

Sean Locklear, OT, Seattle Seahawks

Height: 6-4 Weight: 308 Age: 26

Born: 5/29/1981 Lumberton , NC

College: North Carolina State

Experience: 4th season

He knows the system and he has only missed 5 games in his career. Please go get'em Jimmy.

was he on that page? oh looks like they had him listed as a Right Tackle. Is that Jansen's Spot? would be an interesting move.

Lilja/Scott/Andrews. All sound like young decent options. But if its Lilja or Scott it would probably mean as a starter. So Kendall/Thomas becomes a backup? Which one will it be if thats the case?

Depends on Thomas I think, but my money would be on Kendall.

Archived