Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn Is The Right Hire

jileib

They guy has never run an offense, much less a team

I hope things worked out, but my gut tells me different

neither has Russ Grimm but everyone here sure would be happy if he were head coach.

A lot of coaches have gone from a position coach to head coach and have been successful, just like a lot of coordinators have been made head coaches and bombed.

I like the hire. He was a proven NFL QB who worked his way back through the ranks. If you listened to his press conference you will undestand that back in the day when Chuck Knox was coach, you didn't get handed a job at the end of your playing career you had to earn it. Look at his track record, the man earned his way back into the NFL. He earned the respect and trust of his previous boss, a future HOF coach, who let him handle the majority of the offensive duties. We need to quit listening to the press and pay attention to the man. He is the Washington Redskins Head Coach.

Its a little premature too be psyched or pessimistic about anything. Same as when we were looking for a coach - give the situation time to play out before you assign judgment either way. Nothing you can do now but hope for the best. Naysayers are really just hedging their bets. If he wins, hey we're winners. If he loses then its 'I told ya so'

There was more involved in the decision making process than just the question of if he's the right guy. There were the other coaches the Redskins had committed themselves to interviewing, and there were Zorn's particular set of circumstances.

It probably would have been nice if they could have tailored all those factors to suit your tastes, but they had to deal with things the way they were, not the way you wanted them to be.

Is this post a joke? As someone else stated, if you have the right guy and you know it - HIRE him !! Why interview 3-4 others if you know you have the right guy? This organization is a joke !!

Who would have been the RIGHT hire? Who would have made YOU happy? Meeks? Spagnuolo? They didn't want it. We had to want them AND they had to want us. This is the way it worked out. I'm excited.

He's not a retread looking for a payday. He's never been an HC before so he has something to prove. He's the guy responsible for Matt Hasselbeck's development ino the Pro Bowler he is today. He's a former player and an offensive mind. Therefore, I think we will all be excited to see a drop in the conservative playcalling we are all so used to. We should see a West Coast Offense. This is good because it focuses on short passes and Campbell's deep ball is inaccurate. This is also good because Portis will be utilized to his full potential (he's not an up the gut kind of guy but that's what Gibbs wanted and he STILL broke 1000 yards every season here except when he was injured in '06).

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804df59f

Wake up people! Change is good.

What about Williams or Saunders? Isn't that why they were brought in.... the heir apparent? Change is good? You have to be kidding. That's all this organization has done since day 1. This change again is terrible !

If I look to the past and see the comments made about how Jack Kent Cooke must have gone senile when he hired a young guy to coach the Skins I see a lot of what's being said today.

Let's see what happened with that young guy ... four Super Bowl appearances, Three Super Bowl rings and induction into the Hall of Fame. In hindsight, I guess hiring Joe Gibbs wasn't such a moronic thing!

JKK went through a few coaches before he uncovered that diamond. While I'm not a huge fan of Danny Snyder, I feel that giving him the benefit of the doubt on selecting a relative unknown is due. I believe, given the chance, he could do a lot for the team.

Just remember ... Joe Gibbs went 0-5 to start off his coaching career. :2cents:

Nice you are comparing this guy to Joe Gibbs? Where is my ignore button! The more I read some of these comments, its no wonder the Redskins hire people like Zorn!! Come see me in 3 years (if Zorn lasts that long)!

What about Williams or Saunders? Isn't that why they were brought in.... the heir apparent? Change is good? You have to be kidding. That's all this organization has done since day 1. This change again is terrible !

You forget that Gibbs retired and this change was forced. I for one am excited that we may actually get to see some aggressive playcalling. I must be kidding? This change is terrible?

Did you see the 2007 season during on the road to 5-7 before the win streak? It went like this:

1) Play a great first half and go into the tunnel with the lead.

2) Come out of the tunnel and run for short yardage on downs 1-3.

3) Punt ball back to opposition and allow them a chance at a come from behind victory.

4) Lather, rinse, and repeat.

5) Fourth quarter meltdown.

Would you rather have more of that in 2008? You can count me out.

Help me here, What feels right? The fact he has no experience close to head coaching experience. The fact he wasnt interviewed for the job until after 30 days of the search. The fact he doesnt speak well in public, a big part of a head coaching job. The fact he had no control over his staff. The fact he knows nothing about dc much less the NFC east. The fact he was chosen by 2 clowns and only 2 clowns that havent shown they can do anything right. So please help me as a skins fan, what exactly feels so right other then your a skin fan and cant see the obvious!

I think this post is a serious candidate for post of the year. Coming from a skins fan makes it sting that much more. Nice job. Zorn might be a good guy, but so was Gibbs, Norv, Schottenhiemer and the ole ball coach. And they all had head coaching EXPERIENCE. Good Luck.

I rewatched the entire Zorn Press Conference again and he is THE RIGHT GUY; amazingly Snyder and Cerrato got it right in the end; in the press conference, Zorn laid out more details on how to improve Campbell than I had heard in the past three (3) years.

You got all of that out of one press conference?

You got all of that out of one press conference?

It's no more ridiculous than people screaming for his head when they haven't seen a lick of what he can do yet.

Every coach in the league wasn't a coach at one point. Mike Holmgren has a pretty good coaching tree, and that is my main reason for any optimism at this point, he's been taught by one of the best.

~Bang

Nice you are comparing this guy to Joe Gibbs? Where is my ignore button! The more I read some of these comments, its no wonder the Redskins hire people like Zorn!! Come see me in 3 years (if Zorn lasts that long)!

And I'm sure that, when he was first hired, you KNEW that Gibbs would win three Super Bowls and turn into a HOF coach? Get real! You were probably still having your diapers changed when Gibbs was hired. If you would READ the post I was talking about the feelings in DC when Gibbs was HIRED, not now. Yes a comparison to the BEGINNING of the Gibbs era seems apra po.

Please, go ahead and hit your ignore button :doh:, while you're at it try Ctrl-Alt-Delete!

we will have to wait and see

This is also the way I feel about the hire. He could pan out, or he could be a failure, you never know. The only thing that upset me a bit was the hiring process and the explanation given at the presser. All will be forgotten if Coach Zee comes in and finds success.

As a fan base, I feel we all should be cautiously optimistic about Zorn.

When we hired Spurrier, most fans went hog wild with blind optimism. We all learned quickly what those overly optimistic expectations resulted in; in short, not good.

Thus, I think being cautiously optimistic is safe for all. As many have stated, until we see how the guy performs, all we can do is be patient and hopeful.

A coach's past experiences and tutelage does not guarantee future success. It is encouraging though based on the previous success of others.

Personnally, I look forward to what Jim Zorn can bring to the Redskins solely based on his enthusiam and desire he has exhibited thus far.

HTTR!!! :helmet:

This looks like one of those big gamble hires to me. by the end of the season people will either be saying Snyder was a total genius or a total idiot (or more likely a total idiot who got lucky!)

Zorn has potential and he could turn out to be exactly what you guys need, fresh approach, new ideas. on the other hand his lack of experience is a little scary.

I persoanlly think he's have been a great OC as that would allow him to learn the ropes and also really devote his time and energy to Campbell, The HC position will mean he won't be able to focus of the QB so much. You guys have a young QB with potential who needs mentoring and good coaching and time to adjust to the mental aspects of being an NFL QB. I think Zorn would have been the perfect OC for him. we'll see.

for what it's worth, as a Giants fan i want you guys to be good next year. I take pride in the NFC East being a really tough division. There's nothing like an NFC east game, tough, brutal rivalries. Love it.

Is this post a joke? As someone else stated, if you have the right guy and you know it - HIRE him !! Why interview 3-4 others if you know you have the right guy? This organization is a joke !!

No, my post was not a joke. And the Redskins did hire him immediately -- they got him on the payroll as OC, which allowed them to complete their interviewing process knowing they had an ace in the hole.

If the Redskins had hired Spagnuolo, you wouldn't have been complaining about the long interview process, would you? (Well, maybe you would...) They couldn't very well give themselves a chance to hire Spagnuolo without going through the interview process, and they couldn't very well KNOW they have the best candidate until they have all been interviewed.

So I guess the premise is flawed, or perhaps they didn't quite convey their meaning correctly. Maybe they didn't KNOW they had THE GUY, but they KNEW they a finalist for the job.

Or maybe they did know they had the guy, but just wanted to be thorough.

Archived