Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Three Redskins Wear Number 21

jimster

Notes: Three Redskins wear No. 21 to honor Sean Taylor

Feb. 10, 2008

CBSSports.com wire reports

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10633177/rss

HONOLULU -- The NFC's victory Sunday in the Pro Bowl was bittersweet for the Washington Redskins.

Redskins tackle Chris Samuels, long snapper Ethan Albright and tight end Chris Cooley wore No. 21 in honor of slain teammate Sean Taylor.

They were captains for the NFC and lost the coin toss, but won the game in honor of Taylor, who was posthumously voted an NFC starter for the all-star game.

"It was a huge deal and it was done right," Samuels said. "Sean's family was out here, we wore the 21 jersey and we honored him in the right way. We all know he should have been out there.

"He played the game the right way, rough and tough. We honored him today the right way."

Taylor died Nov. 27 after being shot at his home during a botched robbery attempt.

"We miss him and love him," Samuels said. "I think about him all the time. I don't think a day has gone by without me thinking about him. It's a tragic thing that happened. But today, he was honored."

New Redskins coach

Samuels said he was pleased with the announcement of his new coach, Jim Zorn.

"That's one thing I've been praying about. Getting a good coach in there," the five-time Pro Bowl tackle said.

Zorn signed a five-year contract Saturday. The Redskins hired him as offensive coordinator two weeks ago, luring him away from the Seattle Seahawks, then decided late last week to interview him for the head coaching job after New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo withdrew from consideration.

Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck told Samuels he hates to see Zorn leave.

Samuels said he's not worried about the former quarterback's lack of head coaching experience.

"He's been on this level for a long time. He hasn't been a head coach, but as an offensive coordinator, that's pretty much right under the head coach," he said. "Somebody has to give him a shot and I think he'll prove to everybody he's worthy of that job."

09000d5d8069dc07gallerypq2.jpg

Good read and picture. I thought everything was handled very well. Moose & Company missed one opportunity when the camera focused on Cooley and Samuels breaking the huddle together but other than that, it was given the proper due and respect.

I am so glad Cooley got a TD after that one flew off his hands. It was just nice to see #21 in the endzone, not the real thing but brought back the memories of the Tampa Bay return and the Eagles return.

Archived