Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

and with the 21st pick...

portis426

Trust me you guys don't want Limas Sweed, not in the first atleast. He won't get drafted in the first 2 rounds imo.

I agree.

While I am biased as an OU fan, having watched alot of Big 12 football I don't think Limas Sweed is first round material. Like I said, I am an OU student and fan and I think Malcolm Kelly is a much better big receiving target. He's probably projected above us at this point, but I don't think his 40 time will be all that great and he may drop.

That said, I don't think we should target a WR in the first round. I'm really ascribe more to the best available player school of thought, but there are certainly appropriate exceptions to that approach. WR is one of the hardest positions to project success at the next level. We could use youth on our offensive line, a good pass rusher, a safety, etc. I would rather add some youth to the aging bunch of maulers that we have, or someone to play next to LaRon (Doughty's a likeable guy, but is he the long term answer there?).

Given that before this afternoon almost everyone thought Fassel would be named HC I think "who knows" is a reasonable answer.

I could see us getting a big WR like Sweed or Malcolm Kelly.

Or maybe a D lineman like Groves, Merling, Balmer, or C. Campbell.

Or even a corner like Talib.

Heck, since Danny likes to surprise I wouldn't be shocked at anything on draft day, even a QB in round 1!

Probably a D-Line here as Malcomb Kelly will be long gone, unfortunately.

Kelly's strength though is not the slant in the WCO. Everything else he is a stud.

I really like Groves and his intensity. Talib will also be so far gone.

Probably a D-Line here as Malcomb Kelly will be long gone, unfortunately.

Kelly's strength though is not the slant in the WCO. Everything else he is a stud.

I really like Groves and his intensity. Talib will also be so far gone.

Malcolm Kelly's actually "mocked" to us by NFL Draft Countdown. Talib is projected to go #22 to Dallas...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft2.html

I like Groves a lot, too. Good burst.

Calais Campbell, DE, Miami. Remember that our new D-line coach Palmero coached the D-line at Miami in 2006. Campbell had his best season in 2006.

Campbell profile: http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/campbell_calais00.html

"2006 (SOPHOMORE): Named first-team All-ACC after the finest year of any Miami defender...Received the team's Jack Harding Most Valuable Player Award...Ranked second on the team with 10.5 sacks (half a sack behind Kareem Brown)...With 20 tackles for loss, ranked fourth in the nation and led the team and the ACC...In the ACC, ranked third and was two sacks behind ACC leader and All-American Gaines Adams of Clemson...Ranked 15th in the NCAA in sacks, fourth-most among sophomores...Led the team with three forced fumbles...Led the team with 16 QB pressures...Ranked third on the team with 80 tackles, only six behind leader Brandon Meriweather...Added three pass breakups and one fumble recovery...Had a streak of seven consecutive games with at least one sack during the year, the second-longest streak in school history...His 10.5 sacks tied for ninth place on the school's all-time single-season list...Added to the midseason "Watch List" for the Ted Hendricks Award for the best defensive end in college football...Also received the the Plumer Memorial Award for leadership, motivation and spirit.."

Whichever player BOTH Danny and Vinny can agree on.

How can two beings who make the same entity disagree? Danny will just say "That guy!" and Vinny will be busy on his knees.

But really, Offense, I think. The WCO needs a possession guy for the QB to count on to make consistent catches. Limas Sweed perhaps. Although a Pass Rusher wouldn't be unfounded at all, especially a pass rusher up the middle.

Most importantly though, we NEED depth on the OL this offseason. Whether its young FAs, or Rookies, we need some fat dudes to play Guard. Draft a Big Guy, and mold him into a good blocker, ala Derrick Dockery.

Calais Campbell, DE, Miami. Remember that our new D-line coach Palmero coached the D-line at Miami in 2006. Campbell had his best season in 2006.

Campbell profile: http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/campbell_calais00.html

"2006 (SOPHOMORE): Named first-team All-ACC after the finest year of any Miami defender...Received the team's Jack Harding Most Valuable Player Award...Ranked second on the team with 10.5 sacks (half a sack behind Kareem Brown)...With 20 tackles for loss, ranked fourth in the nation and led the team and the ACC...In the ACC, ranked third and was two sacks behind ACC leader and All-American Gaines Adams of Clemson...Ranked 15th in the NCAA in sacks, fourth-most among sophomores...Led the team with three forced fumbles...Led the team with 16 QB pressures...Ranked third on the team with 80 tackles, only six behind leader Brandon Meriweather...Added three pass breakups and one fumble recovery...Had a streak of seven consecutive games with at least one sack during the year, the second-longest streak in school history...His 10.5 sacks tied for ninth place on the school's all-time single-season list...Added to the midseason "Watch List" for the Ted Hendricks Award for the best defensive end in college football...Also received the the Plumer Memorial Award for leadership, motivation and spirit.."

Campbell is a 3-4 DE not a 4-3 pass rushing DE. Think Luis Castillo, Richard Seymour or Igor Olshansky as examples of how he will be used in the NFL.

My guess is it and several others will be traded for veteran players before all is said & done. If nothing else maybe Zorn can stop the thought process of giving away your draft -every year.

Well, a lot of people on Extremeskins seem to want to give away most of the draft for Chad Johnson. We'll see what happens. I think (hopefully) that Snyder and Cerrato now understand the purpose of the draft at getting YOUNGER and CHEAPER players to develop into your core group of players.

Well, a lot of people on Extremeskins seem to want to give away most of the draft for Chad Johnson. We'll see what happens. I think (hopefully) that Snyder and Cerrato now understand the purpose of the draft at getting YOUNGER and CHEAPER players to develop into your core group of players.

Nobody on this board wants to give away most of the draft for Ocho Cinco. The only people who think that are the Anti-85s who are looking for a reason to demerit the bandwagon.

Most people here want to trade a single draft pick packaged with one or two players, such as Springs and Griffin, both of whom look like their going to be gone anyways, and both who would instantly aid the Bengals.

Campbell is a 3-4 DE not a 4-3 pass rushing DE. Think Luis Castillo, Richard Seymour or Igor Olshansky as examples of how he will be used in the NFL.

Despite Campbell's size, matching that of a 3-4 DE. Campbell plays more like a pass-rushing 4-3 DE than a controlling run-stopping 3-4 guy.

Scouting profile before 2007 season (where he disappointed):

Strengths: Has outstanding size for a defensive end…A very instinctive, athletic pass rusher with a quick burst out of his stance…A very powerful player who has good strength…Is a fluid athlete in pursuit…Does a good (not great) job versus the run…Shows tons of range; can cover a lot of ground…Can play on either side of the line in a 4-3 scheme…Has high upside.

Weaknesses: Sometimes has trouble protecting his legs because he is just so tall and long…Doesn’t have great timed speed…Needs to use better technique and seems to get by just on his raw athleticism and motor; needs to play with better leverage...Sometimes play too high.

Thoughts: Calais Campbell has the potential to go No. 1 overall like Courtney Brown and Mario Williams because he has elite athleticism and great size…Needs to pick up where he left off in his junior season if he wants to keep his draft stock high…I don’t think he is the best fit at nose guard in a 3-4 defense despite his size.

He has great size to complement Andre Carter and give us two pass-rushing guys on the outside. Campbell has to work on his run-stopping ability, which I think could be developed well with the coach when he was an all-ACC player. His production in 2006 vs. 2007:

- 2006: 84 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss, and 10.5 sacks

- 2007: 50 tackles, 12.5 for loss, six sacks

Campbell is a raw potential type guy that could be boom-bust type. However, I feel he can be the playmaker we need like a Mario Williams or Julius Peppers in time.

]']

Most people here want to trade a single draft pick packaged with one or two players' date=' such as Springs and Griffin, both of whom look like their going to be gone anyways, and both who would instantly aid the Bengals.[/quote']

That is pure speculation on your part and that of the Ocho Cinco bandwagon. Griffin is an essential part of the D-line that we are trying to improve not make worse and Springs needs to stay due to Rogers injury.

Despite Campbell's size, matching that of a 3-4 DE. Campbell plays more like a pass-rushing 4-3 DE than a controlling run-stopping 3-4 guy.

Scouting profile before 2007 season (where he disappointed):

Strengths: Has outstanding size for a defensive end…A very instinctive, athletic pass rusher with a quick burst out of his stance…A very powerful player who has good strength…Is a fluid athlete in pursuit…Does a good (not great) job versus the run…Shows tons of range; can cover a lot of ground…Can play on either side of the line in a 4-3 scheme…Has high upside.

Weaknesses: Sometimes has trouble protecting his legs because he is just so tall and long…Doesn’t have great timed speed…Needs to use better technique and seems to get by just on his raw athleticism and motor; needs to play with better leverage...Sometimes play too high.

Thoughts: Calais Campbell has the potential to go No. 1 overall like Courtney Brown and Mario Williams because he has elite athleticism and great size…Needs to pick up where he left off in his junior season if he wants to keep his draft stock high…I don’t think he is the best fit at nose guard in a 3-4 defense despite his size.

He has great size to complement Andre Carter and give us two pass-rushing guys on the outside. Campbell has to work on his run-stopping ability, which I think could be developed well with the coach when he was an all-ACC player. His production in 2006 vs. 2007:

- 2006: 84 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss, and 10.5 sacks

- 2007: 50 tackles, 12.5 for loss, six sacks

Campbell is a raw potential type guy that could be boom-bust type. However, I feel he can be the playmaker we need like a Mario Williams or Julius Peppers in time.

A few points that I disagree with this and most mocks that talk about Campbell

I don't see NFL scouts taking a chance on a 280+ DE when all the rage of the moment is DE's that are 265-280lbs. He is going to top out at a starting weight of close to 290lbs but will still be lean and tall. He might just be a tweener and end up playing 1 gap DT in the pro's.

When the combine comes around, his lack of a burst off the line will be shown. He also has only had one good year (junior) and didn't really improve his senior year. Actually he digressed.

Another knock on him is that he plays in the ACC and has had very little top level to go up against.

lots of teams looking to draft stud DEs, might not be anything worth the pick by the time it gets to us. I have no problem drafting a big WR like Malcolm Kelley (better then Sweed IMO). Best thing you can do in developing a young QB is have a good pass catching TE (check Capt Chaos) and an enormous receiver that is almost impossible to miss.

dallasfan: why do you say that?

To be honest, he has great size, but his speed is what will cause him to fall. He doesn't have enough of it to gain seperation in the pros.

In his Jr year (his best) look at his stats vs good teams

3 catches for 37 yards 0 TDs vs ohio state

2 catches for 38 yards 1 TD vs Oklahoma

8 catches for 119 yards 1 TD vs Nebraska (if you want to call them good)

2 catches for 47 yards 1 TD vs Texas Tech

2 catches for 18 yards 0 TD vs Oklahoma State

3 catches for 57 yards 1 TD vs Kansas State

1 catch for 14 yards 0 TDs vs Texas A&M

3 catches for 70 yards 1 TDs vs Iowa

When I think of Limas Sweed, Rashaun Woods comes to mind, only he was 10X the pro prospect coming out

Archived