Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Defensive Line Coach? Ties with DE Campbell (merged)

SkinsNoles21

Who deserves to be in the Hall of Fame,but is not getting their due respect?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who deserves to be in the Hall of Fame,but is not getting their due respect?

• WR Gary Clark=4 pro bowls,699 rec,10,856 yards,65 TD's
    • WR Ricky Sanders=483 rec,6477 yards,37 TD's
    • DE Dexter Manley=1 pro bowl,971/2 sacks...A Redskins team record
    • DE Charles Mann=4 pro bowls,83 sacks
    • DT Dave Butz=1 pro bowl,351/2 sacks,2 int's and 1980's all decade team
    • QB Doug Williams=136 TD's 131 int's,Super Bowl 22 MVP,23,755 yards passing,QB rating 69.4
    • QB Joe Theismann=2 pro bowls,160 TD's 138 int's,25,206 yards,77.4 QB rating
    • CB Pat Fischer=3 pro bowls,56 int's,941 int's yards,4 TD's
    • CB Mike Bass=30 int's,478 yards,3 TD's,rec 5 fumbles(big play in SB 7 for TD)
    • OG Russ Grimm=4 pro bowls,all 80's decade team,7 fumble rec,5x all pro selection
    • OT Joe Jacoby=4 pro bowls,all 80's decate team
    • OC Jeff Bostic=1 pro bowl,member of the 70 greatest Skins
    • OG Mark May=1 pro bowl,1980 outland trophy
    • LB Chris Hanburger=9 time pro bowl selection,19 int's for 347 yards & 2 td's,
    • LB Ken Harvey=4 pro bowls,89 sacks,1 int,also member of 70 greatest skin
    • OC Len Hauss=5 pro bowls
    • K Mark Moseley=3 pro bowls,Skins ALL-Time scoring leader 1207 pts,82' NFL MVP,300/457 65.6%
    • RB/KR Brian Mitchell=1 pro bowl,all pro 3 years,13 ST TD's,14,014 KR yards,4,999 PR yds
    • RB Earnest Byner=2 pro bowls,8,261 rsh yards,56 td's,3.9 avg.,
    • RB Terry Allen=1 pro bowl,8,614 rsh yards,73 TD's,4.3 avg.

"An NFL source said John Palermo, who coached at Notre Dame in 1988 and 1989 when Cerrato served as the program's recruiting coordinator, will be hired for the former job (defensive line.) Palermo, now at the University of Miami, has coached in bowls in 17 of his 27 seasons. He coached Big Ten defensive players of the year Erasmus James and Wendell Bryant at Wisconsin and Lombardi Trophy winner Chris Zorich at Notre Dame. Palermo was coach at Austin Peay in 1990."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080208/SPORTS01/979365510/1005/SPORTS

The rest of the article is written regarding Fassel. However, D-line is very important to the Skins and this could be the man leading them.

I'm not real excited about this guy, this smacks of Cerrato getting some his cronies in the building. From what I've read the guy never coached in the NFL, and was thinking about retirement. I can't understand why they didn't hire the coach who had worked with Blache.

God I hope not. One good year doesn't make you worth a #21 pick, no matter what your size is.

He's a tweener that had one good year playing in the ACC. 'Nuff said.

This guy is Too Tall Jones and has pure athletic skill, but needs coaching. Methinks we just hired his new coach.

I haven't started looking at the prospects, but what I heard on the radio today is that this guy worked with Blache when he was up in Chicago. Word is that this guy was in Wisconsin or so and when the Bears went to Wisconsin for traning camp these two would meet up and talk for long periods of time. From what I heard, it seemed like Blache likes him.

This guy is Too Tall Jones and has pure athletic skill, but needs coaching. Methinks we just hired his new coach.

Again, he plays in the ACC, basically this is equivalent to saying we should draft Colt Brennan because he set NCAA records in the WAC.

People keep comparing him to Peppers. Peppers plays at 282lbs. Campbell already is 285 lbs and will end up playing at close to 290+lbs. This kid had 3-4 DE or 1 gap DT written all over him.

We need someone who has already played against top level talent not someone that we need to "coach up" and pray that his skills match his frame. He needs to stay in school and improve his technique.

We need to find the next Osi, Kiwi and Freeney. This kid ain't it. We really need Goulston. :notworthy

Again, he plays in the ACC, basically this is equivalent to saying we should draft Colt Brennan because he set NCAA records in the WAC.

People keep comparing him to Peppers. Peppers plays at 282lbs. Campbell already is 285 lbs and will end up playing at close to 290+lbs. This kid had 3-4 DE or 1 gap DT written all over him.

We need someone who has already played against top level talent not someone that we need to "coach up" and pray that his skills match his frame. He needs to stay in school and improve his technique.

We need to find the next Osi, Kiwi and Freeney. This kid ain't it. We really need Goulston. :notworthy

I'm with you on Goulston. What is the latest on his position in the draft? I thought he was a top ten pick. Do you think we'd trade up?

I'm with you on Goulston. What is the latest on his position in the draft? I thought he was a top ten pick. Do you think we'd trade up?

Without the Combine, individual workouts and wonderlic testing, placing people in slots is useless. People always move up and down the board.

I don't know, someone listed the high profile players this guy coached in college and they didn't turn out so great in the NFL. Erasmus James and Wendell Bryant were both 1st rd picks out of Wisconsin and they both have been busts. Kind of sounds like he's the Jeff Tedford of DL coaches.

Without the Combine, individual workouts and wonderlic testing, placing people in slots is useless. People always move up and down the board.

That's true, but don't the top level guys especially linemen generally stay where they are in the slots because they translate better than most positions from College to NFL?

That's true, but don't the top level guys especially linemen generally stay where they are in the slots because they translate better than most positions from College to NFL?

They can stay mainly where they are because everyone is looking for the next big thing, not necessarily because of instant success.

My personal opinion is that Campbell will be a workout warrior at the combine and make some scouts drool with his size and will probably be a top 15 pick, regardless of the fact that he is still very lanky for his size and needs to work on his technique. I still stand by the fact that he would have been better served saying at Miami for his senior year and learning how to play his position better.

They can stay mainly where they are because everyone is looking for the next big thing, not necessarily because of instant success.

My personal opinion is that Campbell will be a workout warrior at the combine and make some scouts drool with his size and will probably be a top 15 pick, regardless of the fact that he is still very lanky for his size and needs to work on his technique. I still stand by the fact that he would have been better served saying at Miami for his senior year and learning how to play his position better.

Probably right, but if he comes here he'd have his old D-line coach with which he had the most success. I'm not as knowledgable about the schemes that he'd fit best in as you are, so perhaps you are right. The mock draft board with all the Skins drafts listed are mostly in line with Campbell going to the Skins with Harvey a possibility. All the linemen in the first round are probably good though. Gholston would be better than Campbell, but again how do the Skins get lucky enough to get him at #21 when he won't go past #15?

BTW, your sigfile is double screening me to the right due to the linky being in the click me. Mercy please?

Probably right, but if he comes here he'd have his old D-line coach with which he had the most success. I'm not as knowledgable about the schemes that he'd fit best in as you are, so perhaps you are right. The mock draft board with all the Skins drafts listed are mostly in line with Campbell going to the Skins with Harvey a possibility. All the linemen in the first round are probably good though. Gholston would be better than Campbell, but again how do the Skins get lucky enough to get him at #21 when he won't go past #15?

BTW, your sigfile is double screening me to the right due to the linky being in the click me. Mercy please?

If he did have 2-3 season of excellent production, even playing against ACC talent I'd buy the D-coordinator could make him better. Sadly he only had 2 years of college, one great and one ok. This sends flags up in my mind.

Unfortunately because he played at Miami, had that one good sophomore year and his size, the fanbois are going to be calling for him here. Even if he can play DE in a 4-3 scheme, he won't be ready to start for 2-3 years due to his age (coming out as a junior) and his technique needing work.

I'd rather go with someone like Groves, Jackson or Hardy that have played against tough college competition and are ready to go from day one.

If he did have 2-3 season of excellent production, even playing against ACC talent I'd buy the D-coordinator could make him better. Sadly he only had 2 years of college, one great and one ok. This sends flags up in my mind.

Unfortunately because he played at Miami, had that one good sophomore year and his size, the fanbois are going to be calling for him here. Even if he can play DE in a 4-3 scheme, he won't be ready to start for 2-3 years due to his age (coming out as a junior) and his technique needing work.

I'd rather go with someone like Groves, Jackson or Hardy that have played against tough college competition and are ready to go from day one.

Ok, I'm game. I will look these guys up.

Groves projections:

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Dustin Claussen's 2/11 Mock Draft Round 1: #15

Raul Colon's 2/5 Mock Draft Round 2: #9

Thomas Scott's 1/29 Mock Draft Round 2: #2

Joel Welser's 1/25 Mock Draft Round 2: #10

Ricky Dimon's 1/23 Mock Draft Round 1: #21

Eddie Griffin's 1/21 Mock Draft Round 1: #13

Randall Weida's 1/17 Mock Draft Round 1: #27

Jackson:

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Dustin Claussen's 2/11 Mock Draft Round 2: #2

Raul Colon's 2/5 Mock Draft Round 1: #21

Thomas Scott's 1/29 Mock Draft Round 2: #8

Joel Welser's 1/25 Mock Draft Round 2: #15

Ricky Dimon's 1/23 Mock Draft Round 2: #4

Eddie Griffin's 1/21 Mock Draft Round 2: #2

Randall Weida's 1/17 Mock Draft Round 2: #4

Harvey:

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Dustin Claussen's 2/11 Mock Draft Round 1: #21

Raul Colon's 2/5 Mock Draft Round 1: #16

Thomas Scott's 1/29 Mock Draft Round 1: #17

Joel Welser's 1/25 Mock Draft Round 2: #6

Ricky Dimon's 1/23 Mock Draft Round 1: #17

Eddie Griffin's 1/21 Mock Draft Round 1: #17

Randall Weida's 1/17 Mock Draft Round 1: #21

Harvey seems like the best of the three with Groves and Jackson being projected as best in a 3-4 scheme according to www.fftoolbox.com. Harvey is light and is seen as a linebacker in the NFL according to what I read. The mock drafts I have seen have Harvey prominently featured with Campbell as a good prospect. Perhaps he is the man. I read he is a beast of a pass rusher. I can live with that.

Ok, I'm game. I will look these guys up.

Groves projections:

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Dustin Claussen's 2/11 Mock Draft Round 1: #15

Raul Colon's 2/5 Mock Draft Round 2: #9

Thomas Scott's 1/29 Mock Draft Round 2: #2

Joel Welser's 1/25 Mock Draft Round 2: #10

Ricky Dimon's 1/23 Mock Draft Round 1: #21

Eddie Griffin's 1/21 Mock Draft Round 1: #13

Randall Weida's 1/17 Mock Draft Round 1: #27

Jackson:

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Dustin Claussen's 2/11 Mock Draft Round 2: #2

Raul Colon's 2/5 Mock Draft Round 1: #21

Thomas Scott's 1/29 Mock Draft Round 2: #8

Joel Welser's 1/25 Mock Draft Round 2: #15

Ricky Dimon's 1/23 Mock Draft Round 2: #4

Eddie Griffin's 1/21 Mock Draft Round 2: #2

Randall Weida's 1/17 Mock Draft Round 2: #4

Harvey:

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Dustin Claussen's 2/11 Mock Draft Round 1: #21

Raul Colon's 2/5 Mock Draft Round 1: #16

Thomas Scott's 1/29 Mock Draft Round 1: #17

Joel Welser's 1/25 Mock Draft Round 2: #6

Ricky Dimon's 1/23 Mock Draft Round 1: #17

Eddie Griffin's 1/21 Mock Draft Round 1: #17

Randall Weida's 1/17 Mock Draft Round 1: #21

Harvey seems like the best of the three with Groves and Jackson being projected as best in a 3-4 scheme according to www.fftoolbox.com. Harvey is light and is seen as a linebacker in the NFL according to what I read. The mock drafts I have seen have Harvey prominently featured with Campbell as a good prospect. Perhaps he is the man. I read he is a beast of a pass rusher. I can live with that.

Harvey is listed at 263lbs. He is about the same size as Osi, Strahan and Kiwanuka. It really depends on how he holds up to the rush.

Looking at it now, Groves probably will play OLB.

Jackson is projected as a 3-4 DE because he can handle the run and take on guards and tackles. He played DE in a 4-3 and a 3-4 in college next to a NT that will be a top 15 pick this year. His sack numbers in either system were pretty good.

All in all, a mock draft and $5.00 will get you a small cup of coffee at Starschmucks. I'd wait until the Combine to get a feel of who will be at #21 and who is worthy to be the next Skins starting DE.

A good article on Campbell: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6552378

Plus, Palermo was the one that got the most success out of Campbell.

Calais Campbell's 2006 year:

2006 (SOPHOMORE): Named first-team All-ACC after the finest year of any Miami defender...Received the team's Jack Harding Most Valuable Player Award...Ranked second on the team with 10.5 sacks (half a sack behind Kareem Brown)...With 20 tackles for loss, ranked fourth in the nation and led the team and the ACC...In the ACC, ranked third and was two sacks behind ACC leader and All-American Gaines Adams of Clemson...Ranked 15th in the NCAA in sacks, fourth-most among sophomores...Led the team with three forced fumbles...Led the team with 16 QB pressures...Ranked third on the team with 80 tackles, only six behind leader Brandon Meriweather...Added three pass breakups and one fumble recovery...Had a streak of seven consecutive games with at least one sack during the year, the second-longest streak in school history...His 10.5 sacks tied for ninth place on the school's all-time single-season list...Added to the midseason "Watch List" for the Ted Hendricks Award for the best defensive end in college football...Also received the the Plumer Memorial Award for leadership, motivation and spirit...

(written before 2007 season)

CAREER: Perhaps the best young defensive lineman in the country...Named to Playboy's All-American team in 2007 and should make every other All-America team...All-ACC defensive end as a sophomore in 2006...Extremely talented defensive lineman will be a strong candidate for every major defensive award in 2007...Tall and gifted pass-rushing defensive end who reminds observers of former UM great Ted Hendricks...Productive player has played in all 25 games the last two seasons, with 13 starts...Has career totals of 119 tackles (68 solo), 26 tackles for loss, 13 sacks, 25 QB pressures, four forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and 12 pass breakups...His 10.5 sacks in 2006 was tied for the ninth-highest single-season total in school history...Had a streak of seven straight games with at least one sack, which was the second-longest streak in school history...Was one of the team's top reserves on the defensive line as a redshirt freshman in 2005...Team's tallest player was recruited as a tight end/defensive end before settling on the defensive line...Has the drive and athletic ability to go with a startling burst of speed...Sociology major.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/campbell_calais00.html

Archived