Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: AM Update

21dave

AM Update

Still waiting on final confirmation on some things, but I heard that Steve Spagnuolo left town late last night - around 1 am - without a contract. One source said he was not offered the job and is talking to the Giants about a new deal there after guiding that defense to a stunning defeat of New England.

Again, I do not have this confirmed yet, but sources who have been spot-on through this entire process are telling me this.

Indications are pointing to Jim Fassel at this point but Dan Snyder has not begun telling the candidates of any decision yet. They all - Ron Meeks, Fassel, Mooch (if you want to throw him in there) - know nothing as of this moment, but that could be changing. And just because Spagnuolo left without a deal - if what I am hearing is true - it would not preclude Snyder from still striking one with him.

But if you held me down right now and made he guess - again, I'm guessing here and not reporting - I'd say Fassel right now.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

I dont care anymore, at this point just be done with it. It looks like its going to be Fassel, hes not my # 1 choice, but hes not the anti-christ either. Who knows maybe we should have hired him the first time. His players seem to like him, so he cant be that bad of a coach. Give him a shot before you start throwing tomatoes.

I'm not saying Fassel is a bad coach, he's actually a good teacher to QBs, knows offense, and will probably let Zorn run things on the offensive side of the ball as he let Sean Payton.

But he's just so ... uninspiring ...

John Keim -- the best and most objective skins beat reporter around IMO -- reported that Gregg Williams had a major problem with the personnel decisions and Vinny and voiced this in his meetings with Snyder. That couldn't have helped his case.

Snyder met with Pete Carroll, who according to numerous people close to him, wanted more control than Danny was willing to give.

And according to the NY papers, Spags was also concerned about lack of control over personnel.

So that leaves Fassel. A coach with no other options at this point.

But maybe he turns out to be the best choice after all -- crazier things have happened.

For the first time in 3 weeks when the Redskins decided to hold off on naming a coach so they could talk to Spags I believe they are going to hire Fossil as the Head Coach. I had believed they were going to hire Spags even up until this morning. The longer the 2 sides talked the more conviced I was/hoped alas my worst fears are going to come up with Fossil being the head coach.

My dissapointment is not because I thought Spags would be wonderful - he has only been a Coordinator for 1 year all other experience was 8 years as a position coach - that is not the strongest resume. My angst comes from they could have hired a better guy than Fossil - come on Meeks has a stronger resume than Spags. Fossil might win us a playoff game or 2 but this guy is not going to be here 4 years from now.

Czabe's line of relating Fassell to a fat chick that waits by the phone for your drunk dial is so appropriate and so funny.

Please join my new fanclub the ABJ - (Anyone but Jim).

That line is great, and true. Maybe Fassel gave Gibbs a few bucks to leave, because he knew Synder would be the only fool to hire him.

Archived