Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Howard Eskin on Skins coaching search

MikeB

Wow. This and all other indications I've seen indicate that Spagnuolo really wants this job. If we hire Fassel over this guy, I have a feeling the Extremeskins blowback will be tremendous.

Do you want a guy who just stymied the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl (Spags), or do you want a guy no one else in the league wants to touch with a 20-foot pole (Fassel)?

I want the best coach for the job

So, if Snyder does hire Spagnuolo as the next HC, would all the talk about how Snyder has "drawn out" the hiring process be considered invalid, since he couldn't have interviewed Spags until now anyway?...

Not quite Califan. Spags wasn't a part of the original list of candidates and I still believe that Fizzel was the hire until all hell broke loose here. Spider Man wanted to get this over with in 2 weeks. He strung GW along with no intention of ever hiring him and I believe Spags didn't come into the picture until little Danny was watching the playoffs and found his new favorite toy, Spagnoulo.

If you notice, after the hell raising about Fizzel and GW was dumped on the curbside, that's when Danny started talking about the process and waiting until after the Super Bowl.

Nothing about this was planned and the only process here is when Danny gets a hard on for some 1 year wonder with a 17th ranked defense.

I like Spags and never agree with Eskin, so hell has frozen over. Eskin is a moron only reason he stays on the radio is philly is full of morons so they are his kind. He was ripping Eli all afternoon, hey nitwit take a look around your guy Donovan is as big a joke as you.

Not quite Califan. Spags wasn't a part of the original list of candidates and I still believe that Fizzel was the hire until all hell broke loose here. Spider Man wanted to get this over with in 2 weeks. He strung GW along with no intention of ever hiring him and I believe Spags didn't come into the picture until little Danny was watching the playoffs and found his new favorite toy, Spagnoulo.

If you notice, after the hell raising about Fizzel and GW was dumped on the curbside, that's when Danny started talking about the process and waiting until after the Super Bowl.

Nothing about this was planned and the only process here is when Danny gets a hard on for some 1 year wonder with a 17th ranked defense.

So, you have Snyder's super-secret list of candidates? :laugh:

He certainly waited long enough. I mean, the Giants had played three playoff games at that point and later that week he almost hires Fassel till he suddenly gets the revelation that he wants to talk to Spags?

I think the reality is that Spags was probably always on his list, and he debated on whether or not he wanted to wait for him.

Jason

Just a friendly comment, I think you should check your stat on the defensive ranking. I believe the Skins (8) and Giants (7) were right next to each other or visa versa.

I'm with Eskin. Mooch is a fraud whose ears perked up at the possibility of one last big payday. Fassel is most likely just good enough to stay around .500--until he loses the team.

Therefore, we're left with either Spags or Meeks which is a fairly tough choice. Given his familiarity with the division, I'd tend to lean toward Spags though he is something of a one year wonder.

On my drive home today Eskin commented on the Skins coaching search. He is apparently good friends of Spagnuolo from his days serving under Jim Johnson with the Eagles.

Anyhow, he ran down the list of candidates and commented briefly on each one. Notable was that he was very critical of Mooch, saying that he was a total fraud. He also said that Fassel was a fraud (this is typical Eskin speak) but was not as emphatic about him as he was with Mooch -- who he clearly felt was not a good candidate.

Regarding Spagnuolo, he felt he was clearly the cream of this crop. He didn't get too much into detail, but mentioned that Spagnuolo was a great guy, and did a great job instituting his system with the Giants after the team essentially bailed on him following week 2 and was a major factor in their SB win over Belichick and the Patriots.

Most interesting was that he had talked with Spagnuolo and that while the Redskins have their coordinators set already and it's not ideal, it was in no way a major deterant for him. Howard said this is a phenomenal once in a lifetime opportunity and he hopes he'd get it -- and that Spagnuolo felt the same and was very, very exited for the chance. He also said that he regrets the opportunity is with the Redskins, because he feels that they would be getting a heck of a coach.

Personally, I have to think that if the talks go well, the job is his. I like him too... young, energetic, tough, mentored under Jim Johnson, served under Reid and Caughlin, and knows the NFC East. He's a little wet behind the ears and that scares me, but has all the intangeables to be the next great coach.

Howard Eskin aka the burger king man. LOL...Eskin is the biggest fraud on radio. The next time he gets something right will be the first. He says he's friends with every coach on the Eagles. I think the Eagles pay him to talk good about them.

Just a friendly comment, I think you should check your stat on the defensive ranking. I believe the Skins (8) and Giants (7) were right next to each other or visa versa.

So then why did we let Williams go again? Williams had basically the same ranked defense with not nearly as talented personnel.

So then why did we let Williams go again? Williams had basically the same ranked defense with not nearly as talented personnel.

I wasn't debating your opinion of Williams just the defensive stat.:D

I'm sure you can find lots of threads on GW and why people think he wasn't hired as the HC.

So, you have Snyder's super-secret list of candidates? :laugh:

He certainly waited long enough. I mean, the Giants had played three playoff games at that point and later that week he almost hires Fassel till he suddenly gets the revelation that he wants to talk to Spags?

I think the reality is that Spags was probably always on his list, and he debated on whether or not he wanted to wait for him.

Jason

I don't know longshot, I'm just speculating just as you are. I still think Fizzel was a shoe in until all hell broke loose around here and think what you want but in the begining Danny said 2 weeks and fizzel was rumored to be named the next HC in that time span. The only candidate that was mentioned that Danny was waiting on was Meeks and his team was in the playoffs. Not once did we hear of any other candidate from any other team still in the playoffs until after GW was dumped, then we started hearing about McDaniels and Spags.

McDaniels never requested an interview and informed the Redskins the week before the Super Bowl that he was not interested.

What I'm speculating is that Danny has kept Fizzel on hold for the last 3 weeks, hoping that the fans would calm down and after going through his so called process, not knowing that the Giants would actually win (and who did?), that he would do his interview with Spags then tell everybody that he ran the process through with great patience and after careful consideration and a lot of advise from people in his organization, that he feels that Jim Fizzel is the right choice for the Washington Redskins.

This really makes him look as if he was seriously considering others and wanted to hire the most qualified when all along, it was Fizzel he had chosen 3 weeks ago.

That's just speculation Longshot and your theories aren't much better than mine or anybody else. We should know by Friday who the Spider has hired as our new HC so until then, let's keep speculating!

You'd have to ask Snyder that question and not us.

Also, I don't think the talent was that different. Just in different places. The Giants had the line, the Skins had the better safeties, linebackers, and corners. They both utilized their talent pool well.

I give some credit to Spagnuolo though. It was big accomplishment what he did there in just one year. Williams has been doing this for a long time. I only see upside with Spagnuolo. We know what Williams is and isn't.

Howard Eskin? The King?? :silly:

I tell you I listen to him from time to time here in the Philly area. While Howard can be the biggest fraud out there, he is sometimes in tune with some of the "insider" stuff, if you will.

I don't doubt that he probably spoke to Spags about the gig. If Spags is into being our coach, well bring him on Dan! I think the fan base is keen to the idea of having a young mind (that has been successful) at the helm.

Let's just hope that he can be the same leader for our organization as he was the Giants Defensive Coordinator over the last few months. If he can be, I think Dan would be making a good choice.

I have to agree with you..... Id love to hear some "sources"..

I gave you what I heard on the radio. Sorry, but I'm not a reporter and can't provide you something outside of what I heard. You will have to take it at face value.

What I can tell you is that Eskin rarely if ever talks about other teams outside of the Eagles. The fact that he even discussed if for a couple of minutes, and actually said something positive about it (he would regret Spags coming here) is a virtual miracle -- he must feel Spags is a great pickup or he would have taken the opportunity to simply trash the Skins and Snyder as he has done (and rightfully so) so many times before.

That and the fact that he spoke with Spags and he had little issue with the coordinators already in place, while not another AP article that you desire, is fairly optimistic news for Spagnuolo fans.

Archived