Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was it a mistake for the Patriots to let Adam Vinateri go?

michael_33

I can't help but think all 3 SB's having a 3 point victory between them all...Adam obviously won all 3 of those as well as the "Tuck rule" game against the Raiders and I'm sure many others...

Then when you rewind to last night when they are on the 31 yard line with a 4th an 13,you would think your FG unit would come out?

I heard the reason why they went for it instead was because of the shank out of bounds kickoff he did earlier...

I don't want to say that not having Adam is completely directed of them failing to win the big one,but one has to wonder if had they kept him would some games have resulted differently..?

...and why in the world would you get rid of a guy, who is responsible for 3 SB victories directly?The guy is probably a sure HOFer along with juan stanerud!

I never understood the decision to release Adam from a possible Dynasty and a dynasty KICKER in the making....

So I ask you....Do you think they screwed up on this one?

I can't help but think all 3 SB's having a 3 point victory between them all...Adam obviously won all 3 of those as well as the "Tuck rule" game against the Raiders and I'm sure many others...

Then when you rewind to last night when they are on the 31 yard line with a 4th an 13,you would think your FG unit would come out?

I heard the reason why they went for it instead was because of the shank out of bounds kickoff he did earlier...

I don't want to say that not having Adam is completely directed of them failing to win the big one,but one has to wonder if had they kept him would some games have resulted differently..?

...and why in the world would you get rid of a guy, who is responsible for 3 SB victories directly?The guy is probably a sure HOFer along with juan stanerud!

I never understood the decision to release Adam from a possible Dynasty and a dynasty KICKER in the making....

Great post...this play is being overlooked as a turning point. Since when is it better odds to go for 4th and 13 than to kick a 48-yard FG in a dome???

They had no confidence in their kicker and it cost them a chance to be up by a TD. They would have never trailed in the game as they went into OT...

Not sure. But I have some friends that are Patriots fans and all they do is curse about Adam Vinatieri. They blame him for accepting a bigger contract to play for the Colts. They view it as the ultimate act of betrayal.

the pats screwed up because they were the only nfl team to take off the 21 off of their helmets during the playoffs. they were too damn proud. so i call it the curse of sean taylor.
Yet the kept the number on their helmets in tribute to their fallen teammate.

I'm sure if Vinateri was still with the Pats they would have kicked the field instead of going for a 4th and 13.:2cents:

Not sure. But I have some friends that are Patriots fans and all they do is curse about Adam Vinatieri. They blame him for accepting a bigger contract to play for the Colts. They view it as the ultimate act of betrayal.

:laugh:

Of course they do.

Vinatieri Rings = 4

Pats Rings without Vinatieri = 0

Even a dufus like me can do that math.

Stats since 2006 9regular and postseason), when Adam went to Indy:

20-29 yds AV 22-23; SG 23-24

30-39 yds AV 22-26; SG 18-23

40-49 yds AV 14-17; SG 7-11

50+ yds AV 2-4; SG 2-2

And remember that chippie that Vinatieri shanked at the end of the San Diego regular season game this year?

I don't understand Belicheck's thinking. Sure, there's no excuse for kicking the ball out of bounds like that, but was he THAT pissed that he had no confidence in his kicker from 49?

I agree, good post. I wonder why they let him go? Was he a bad locker room guy? Cause he played excellent for the them. He won the Patriots a lot of games, he made damner every crunchtime kick he attempted. He's a future HOF. I don't why they didnt keep him. I'm sure the best front office in the league had enough money to pay him whatever he wanted.

:laugh:

Of course they do.

Vinatieri Rings = 4

Pats Rings without Vinatieri = 0

Even a dufus like me can do that math.

Actually it's 3, but we'll overlook that minor arithmetic error since you're a dufus and all. :silly:

The real issue is that you're implying they're worse off without him based on the lack of trophies alone. By that rationale, you think they'd be better of re-acquiring Vinatierri, and also dumping Moss, Welker, Thomas, and Stallworth? No? Why not?

I think the truth is, they have a cap they manage just like we do. They put a premium on certain positions more than others and figured they'd be cool with downgrading their kicker for something better in return. Like, say, I don't know, the greatest offense in the history of fooball, for example.

Vinatierri won them a lot of BIG games, no doubt about that. But this season, besides the 4th and 13 in the Super Bowl, how many times have they needed a kicker to win a game?

Archived