Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: 4 Man Race

I hope it is either the Giants DC or the Pats OC.

Josh McDaniels is a winner, a producer. YES

Steve Mariucci is a seller, a talker, a shmoozer. NO

Jim Fassel is recycled parts that was decent once, but is no longer. (Ravens O). NO

Ron Meeks turned a bad colts D into a great Colts D, with a safety... YES

Steve Spags (sp.) is a sucecssful defensive mind. YES

Fassel was canned because his owner at the time said he 'lost' the fans' support...

He doesn't light any fires for me...but, hey, I'm not making the pick.

Mariucci is an offensive coach, a good motivator and would be an excellent fit.

Mariucci is a seller. He had Garcia and Owens and couldnt; control them, granted no one can control Owens and he is only getting quieter as he gets older.

Mariucci will NOT EVER win a Super Bowl if you gave him an all-star team.

He just can;t get it done.

After long debates I have narrowed by choice down to two:

Giants DC or Pats OC.

Please explain to me how Mariucci is in any way a better choice than Fassel. They are both slightly above average retreads - at least Fassel has been to the Super Bowl. And I ask this as someone who is absolutely deadset against Fassel as the next HC.

56%, 3047 yard, 19 TD 12 INTs. If I said those were from a 2nd year QB, you'd probably say. "Hey, that's not bad!" Am I right?

Can anyone tell me who's numbers those are?

Joey Harrington in Mooch's 2nd year. The guy had NOTHING to work with in Detroit. NOTHING. Anyone who can get decent numbers from Joey freakin' Harrington deserves another shot.

Oh and Jason Garrett was lauded over for his work in Miami as QB coach. Harringtons numbers under Him:

57% 2241 12 TD 15 INT in 11 games.

56%, 3047 yard, 19 TD 12 INTs. If I said those were from a 2nd year QB, you'd probably say. "Hey, that's not bad!" Am I right?

Can anyone tell me who's numbers those are?

Joey Harrington in Mooch's 2nd year. The guy had NOTHING to work with in Detroit. NOTHING. Anyone who can get decent numbers from Joey freakin' Harrington deserves another shot.

Oh and Jason Garrett was lauded over for his work in Miami as QB coach. Harringtons numbers under Him:

57% 2241 12 TD 15 INT in 11 games.

Nice work! :)

yeah the only thing i have to say is that this head coaching search is a joke. we are the laughing stock of the leauge

:nono: I can think of at least three other teams off the top of my head that are more of a laughing stock then we are:

- Raiders

- Dolphins

- 49ers

And quite a few more. Yes we've drawn out this head coaching search and we're all getting antsy to find out who our new fearless leader is going to be. But, I'm fine with the idea the braintrust taking their sweet time to select the coach they feel is best to fit with the coordinators they picked.

:nono: I can think of at least three other teams off the top of my head that are more of a laughing stock then we are:

- Raiders

- Dolphins

- 49ers

And quite a few more. Yes we've drawn out this head coaching search and we're all getting antsy to find out who our new fearless leader is going to be. But, I'm fine with the idea the braintrust taking their sweet time to select the coach they feel is best to fit with the coordinators they picked.

Remember, 49ers had mariucci and Vinny at one point. Will they leave their mark here as well?

I never thought I would say this a few weeks ago...or maybe ever. But I am really pulling for Mooch here. I do not have any numbers or statistics, i just think he is a better coach.

I am not too high on Meeks, and before anyone asks, I can not give a concrete reason. Just a feeling.

I think Fassel would be adequate, but I really have higher hopes for this team and the players we currently have.

Spagnuolo intrigues me, and would probably be my second choice, but I am hoping for Mariucci.

He did a good job for the 49ers and got fired when that team started to become a mess, with a lot of help from Terrell Owens and Terry Donohue. He went to the playoffs four times in six years with the 49ers, and they have not been back since...coincidence?

I am also not going to hold his Lions record against him either. That team is one of the biggest trainwrecks in the history of organized football.

I agree with JLC that in that I do not think McDaniels is ready. Plus their offensive players are on another level, and I still think Belichick pulls a lot of the offensive strings.

Long story short, I am pulling for Mooch. He is a good coach and has been waiting for the right opportunity to jump back on the sidelines. I think this could be a good call for him and us.

:2cents:

totally agree, I like the fact that he is a few years younger than Fassell, but he still has a lot of HC experience ... and he has still been involved with the game being an analyst for the NFL Network. I call call Det a wash, and I'll call B-more a wash for Fassel too.

I know that Fassell gets a lot of credit for going to the SB, but Mooch did take the 9'ers to the championship game (and 4 other playoff appearances), so he really was only one game from the SB. And lets not forget he did all this while in the middle of the Cowpukes and Packers dominant years of the 90's.

He did inherit some good players, but they were all on the decline and he helped develop some solid pro-bowl players that the rest of the league had given up on. Jeff Garcia, Garrison Hearst, T.O., etc.

I think Mooch is more of a players coach. Again, this is not a fact based argument either, it's just a gut feeling I have, as far as helping to maintain that TEAM belief. I just view Fassell as kind of like I view Coughlin, I can't see the guys really getting as motivated or inspired to play for a guy like Fassel, but for some reason Mooch seems to have that quality to me.

He's a very charismatic person, and I understand that might be a short-sighted way of looking at it. I just dolt think Fassel can provide anymore knowledge of what it is like to play in the NFC East, than Danny and Vinny could find out from talking to other current NFC East coaches. It's been 5 years since Fassel coached in this division.

Fassel was canned because his owner at the time said he 'lost' the fans' support...

The owner at the time was Wellington Mara.

From the NYT:

He heard the booing. He knows the fans have lifted Coach Jim Fassel back onto the chopping block. He understands people assume Fassel will be fired if the Giants fail to make the playoffs.

''Fortunately for Coach Fassel, I'm not part of the popular assumption,'' Mara said. ''That's a subject that's been there the past two years that I feel is not an issue..."

Besides, Fassel "fired" himself two games before the season ended...he told the players he would coach the last two games and then step down once the season ended. He didn't want the speculation of whether or not he'd be fired detracting and distracting the team. Pretty much everyone, from the players to the press, admired it as a classy move at the time.

If Mooch gets hired then JLC deserves a huge clap and hopefully a raise from the post. His "WC family tree" blog on sunday will go down as brilliant. All in All he has done a GREAT job of keeping all of us in the know. Bravo!

Lucky for Jason, I believe penicillin still cures that. ;)

- Raiders

- Dolphins

- 49ers

You forgot the Falcons, Ravens, and Chiefs.

Why are people so high on McDaniels? He is a 31 year old guy who has the offensive weapons that anyone would look like a genius with. This guy is not HC material...at least not yet. You guys that want whoever just so happens to be in the Super Bowl right now are not thinking clearly. The credit for the Patriots offense does not belong to McDaniels. Brady, Moss, the entir Oline...they execute everything perfectly. This McDaniels guy is along for the ride. I dont care if McDaniels could be here for the next 20 years...can he lead men? Or is he as I suspect, just looking so good because the Pats' offense has an allstar squad led by maybe the best QB to ever play the game?

Mariucci coached a 49er team two years removedfrom the Super Bowl and went 13-3, 12-4, followed by TWO losing seasons. Once Bill Walsh's system was washed out to show what kind of coach Mariucci was.

just say NO to Mariucci.

Right after which he returned the 9ers to winning 22 games over the next 2 years -- only to be fired by Donahue in a power play.

Mariucci coached a 49er team two years removedfrom the Super Bowl and went 13-3, 12-4, followed by TWO losing seasons. Once Bill Walsh's system was washed out to show what kind of coach Mariucci was.

He THEN went 12-4 and 10-6 after those two losing seasons, and when removed even further from Walsh's system. This also shows what kind of coach Mariucci was.

Not sure why you chose to ignore those two winning seasons in evaluating Mariucci's coaching abilities.

McDaniel's is another Lane Kiffin ... besides, that's like playing Russian roulette with a HC, worst possible odds of winning.

If we were gonna do something like that, then why keep the entire defense and most of the offense in tact? Blow the hole damn thing up and really start over if that's the case.

i can see Greg Blache, 50 some years old and an NFL coaching vet with 25 years experience taking cues from a 31 year old first time HC with absolutely no experience out side of coaching for arguably one of the most talented teams in NFL history.

Yeah, now that I think about it, that makes perfect sense ... NOT. :laugh:

Archived