Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Now no longer a Hypothentical) regarding Super Bowl XLII and our HC job. . .

mcarey032

Here is the scenario

The Giants upset the Patriots in the Super Bowl and it is the biggest upset in the Super Bowl and probably NFL history. Spagnoulo is hailed as a genius for his efforts as the coordinator who shut down what is considered the best offense of all time.

Day after the Super Bowl, we interview Spagnoulo and he is interested in our job, however, he sees that there are two coordinators in place that he didn't hire. If this were stumbling block for Spagnoulo to get the job here in Washington, would Dan Snyder fire the new coordinators and allow Spagnoulo in his new found glory to hire his own people or would he pass on a coordinator which would just took place in the greatest upset in history? Would Mr. Snyder allow more control for Spanoulo in the personnel department?

What are your thoughts on this?

I personally think that Mr. Snyder would pass on Spagnoulo, because if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. That being said and what is mentioned above does take place, then he will be blowing it yet again in the eyes of many people. Could Mr. Snyder and the FO suffer another media hit like this? I sort of feel if things go down the way that is mentioned, it would be extremely hard for Mr. Snyder to pass and he might relent, but I can't imagine that he would fire new coordinators. Obvioulsy, it is just speculation, but I can't imagine a new coach would want to come into a situation where the coordinators are already in place. That is where I see this possible conflict. Where do the rest of you guys come out in this possible hypothetical?

I know that the pats look good, but if the Giants win, obviously the defense will be a big part of that and Steve Spanoulo would be come the hot name that would come up in the conversation of being the next head coach. If Danny misses the boat on this one, it could be a long season for him and the FO.

If the Giants win it will be a total team effort. Not the "genius" of a single coach. Whoever takes the job gets the staff that is in place, regardless.

I hear what you are saying, but the reality is that the strength of NE is their offense and unless that is taken away, the Giants really don't have a shot of keeping up with them. It will come down to the defense and stopping Tom Brady and the WR. If the Giants do that, I guarantee that Spanoulo will be the hot candidate. I just don't know if the control issue of hiring the coaches will be overcome.

Doesn't Coughlin's contract expire this year? Since he's never really had the vote of confidence from ownership, I could see Spags taking that vacated job.

I believe that you are right about the contract extension. I think that more than likely Coughlin will get another extension after the Super Bowl. More than likely it will be a 2 year deal. That would open the door for us, IMO>

Doesn't Coughlin's contract expire this year? Since he's never really had the vote of confidence from ownership, I could see Spags taking that vacated job.
He hasn't had the vote of confidence because he hasn't won much. Now that he has taken the team to the Super Bowl and possibly win it, I could see him getting an extension. Then theres the chance that the owner thinks Coughlin's time is up. If he doesn't stay, Spags will probably stay to get the HC job there. If Coughlin stays Spags may be interested here. Personally, I hope he does want to come here. I think he could be a great coach for this team.

For continuity's sake, we cannot throw away what we've got going on here with Blache and Zorn.

;)

Seriously, I think anyone who is a candidate for the HC position signed off on the coordinators BEFORE the coordinators were hired. I'm sure there are some clever (or not so clever ways) to get around tampering.

"So, hypothetically, if you were a HC, how would you feel about XXXXX as one of your coordinators?"

"In that situation, I'd be happy to work with XXXXXX"

Tampering happens. It's just a matter of being able to prove it.

He hasn't had the vote of confidence because he hasn't won much. Now that he has taken the team to the Super Bowl and possibly win it, I could see him getting an extension. Then theres the chance that the owner thinks Coughlin's time is up. If he doesn't stay, Spags will probably stay to get the HC job there. If Coughlin stays Spags may be interested here. Personally, I hope he does want to come here. I think he could be a great coach for this team.

I agree because I think that he will certainly bring an aggressive style which we haven't seen around here in a while.

For continuity's sake, we cannot throw away what we've got going on here with Blache and Zorn.

;)

Seriously, I think anyone who is a candidate for the HC position signed off on the coordinators BEFORE the coordinators were hired. I'm sure there are some clever (or not so clever ways) to get around tampering.

"So, hypothetically, if you were a HC, how would you feel about XXXXX as one of your coordinators?"

"In that situation, I'd be happy to work with XXXXXX"

Tampering happens. It's just a matter of being able to prove it.

Yes, I hear you, but is there something about firing new coordinators or demoting them? I mean they would have to pay them some kind of money I would assume, if they were fired. It would just seem silly to me if they hired Spagnoulo and then he doesn't want these guys and he gets rid of them. What kind of money have we wasted then on people who haven't even been involve in a preseason game, much less a real one.

Like I said, I thought this might happen and of course now that the giants did the unthinkable, so now that it has happened, are the Redskins going to make a push for a coach that may or may not want to enter a position in which he may not have significant say so in personnel and not have a say in the coordinators who are already in place? My wish is that they do. I guess we will see what it will cost to get him here.

What's the big deal about the coordinators. We can still hire Spags and work on building his coaching staff in the next offseason. He has to realize as well that it's late in the offseason to even find coaches to fill a staff. That's why i actually like what Snyder did to lock in 80% of the staff.

Spags is the kind of HC that we can build around for years to come.

I think that the worm has turned. This is the candidate that I hope that we get because clearly Spagnoulo understands football and what it takes to be a championship defense.

He made a believer out of me tonight. This guy called a helluva game and got his guys ready.

The Patriots had 3 timeouts when they got the ball back but the Giants played shutdown defense - 60 minutes of championship football.

Not to take anything away from Spags, but lets be real... That front 4 of the Giants dominated the game. I think you can credit great execution by the dline of the Giants more than great scheme.

Again, don't get me wrong, that game was beautifully coached all the way around for the Giants, but the front 4 of the Giants is the reason the defense dominated. Brady had no time.

I think we'll hire Spags and he'll ride with the coordinators we got then he'll bring in his guys next year as Blatche retires and the others follow GW.
I said something similar in another thread, i agree with this...he will bring one or two of his guys this year, and next year when he has more time and more to choose from he will bring in more guys

Not to take anything away from Spags, but lets be real... That front 4 of the Giants dominated the game. I think you can credit great execution by the dline of the Giants more than great scheme.

Again, don't get me wrong, that game was beautifully coached all the way around for the Giants, but the front 4 of the Giants is the reason the defense dominated. Brady had no time.

If you get a chance to listen to Brady's post game conference he mentioned it was the front four AND the schemes. It wasn't just about front four talent. Coach Spags had a great game plan, called a great game, and his players executed.

Archived