Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

King: Robin Williams for Head Coach!

EvoSkins

From Peter King's MMQ:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/01/27/superbowlweek/1.html

The Fine Fifteen

12. Washington (9-8). The money must be pretty good, Jim Zorn, to get hired without knowing who your boss will be.

Quote of the Week III

"Robin Williams for head coach!''

--"johndinhouston,'' posting on the Washington Post's decidedly anti-Daniel Snyder Redskins Insider blog. As of this morning, the Redskins, with owner Snyder running the search, are the only team in the NFL with a coaching vacancy.

Ten Things I Think I Think

4. I think I'm going to withhold judgment on Dan Snyder's, um, shall we say, curious approach to naming a new coach until I see what he does with the head coach. But unless he chooses a head coach who has signed off on the two coordinators signed by Snyder the other day -- Jim Zorn on offense (like him an awful lot) and Greg Blache on defense -- it's not going to be just me who has a field day with Snyder. It'll be everyone who has ever watched this game. Who picks both coordinators, then chooses a total stranger to them to be a head coach?

You hear two names in the Super Bowl who could be candidates a week from now -- New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. I'd be very surprised if McDaniels breaks the promise that he'll stay with New England another year. Very surprised. Spagnuolo's another story; he might think, at 48, this is his time, and he needs to take this opportunity to be a head coach because it may never come again.

But how smart is it to saddle a head coach with two coordinators he's never worked with before? It'd be bad for the coach -- unless he's an extraordinary communicator and egoless man. Now, from the sound of what Snyder said Saturday, when both men were named coordinators, the previous candidates who'd been interviewed for the head coach job had input in Zorn and Blache being named. If the new coach is Jim Fassel, maybe he told Snyder to interview them. But the whole process is just odd.

It's a sad day when Peter Queen writes his usual trash about the Redskins and it you actually agree with it. :(

I've never been a big Petey fan and was very unhappy with him until he decided Art Monk belongs in the HOF yet, I don't see this as trashing the Skins or Snyder at all. Compared to many of us, he actually seems to be holding back. Petey mildly uses the term "odd" while most of us have not been so nice in our description of Danny's handling of the new HC situation.

Its not embarrassing...it is just odd...but i assume Meeks and Fassel both told Snyder who they would want as their OC and DC...and if it is Spags, I am sure he knows that you have to act fast to hire your staff because if it is Spags and we where to wait until after the Super Bowl a lot of the good assistants would be gone already, and it would be another week or two just looking for assistants...then if these aren't the guys he wants he can find some guys he wants and hire them without having to rush and scramble

I am not a big Peter King fan but he has been pretty fair to the Skins all season. His reasoning is sound with all this except when he says what team would hire coordinators and then the HC, Dallas did it with Garrett and Phillips.

I also saw Pasquerelli a few nights ago on ESPNews show the same restraint. He was being asked if this was unheard of and strange and he said there is a precedent for it and even though it's not common, it's certainly not ridiculous that the Skins are hiring coordinators ahead of a head coach.

Given that everyone thinks the media hates the Skins, I figured it was worth pointing out.

Archived