Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With the fresh start, I'd take Flacco in the 2nd Rd.

Cskin

Ok... so this team has been obliterated from a continuity and moral standpoint. The Saunders offense is gone and no one is sure the true nature of the Zorn offense. Many speculate it's a WCO but which... the Holmgrem dink and dunk or the Coryell/Gibbs Play Action downfield verticle game. Regardless, this team should guard against placing all their eggs in Campbell's basket. Sure, the kid has athleticism and a big time arm... but can we really be sure he is our franchise QB?

I'd trade out of the 21st spot and try to pick up a 2nd round pick.... perhaps with a team itching to move up and grab someone who has fallen down the board. Use the Quinn slide as an example... see how the Patriots are almost always involved in a trade down the 1st round board and the accumulation of additional picks. I'd take the best defensive end or corner in the first... and with one of the seconds I'd take Flacco. The kid is huge, has a great arm, and is said to be "super smart". Let the two compete...winner starts.... loser is 3rd back-up behind a veteran.

This team has got to start thinking about it's long-term future... we're going to have to begin stockpiling talent and making the most of the draft. I think it starts with the new staff and an injection of competition to Campbell. If they both show promise... we've got a great future chip to bargain with for additional talent upgrades.

I wouldn't mind Flacco in the second. I agree that if we are going to start this over, let's do it.

There is too much baggage going to be carried around.

Flacco is an intriguing prospect at QB, and I wouldn't mind getting him and bringing him in to compete with JC. I doubt he would win the job his rookie season, but I am confident by his second season he would beat out JC for a starting job.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of all the overpaid players who have too much emotional baggage on them: Portis, Moss, Jansen, Springs. Cooley and Samuels are definite keepers, and so are Carlos, Rocky and LaRon. Outside of them, I would be fine with bringing in new people at every other position.

How about Jonathan Stewart in the 1st and Flacco in the second. In the third, go after some O or D lineman who is still left. Same in 4th. In the 5th and 6th, try some young, raw WR prospects like Maurice Purify and Marcus Monk.

That's if we go the rebuild route.

I would go a different route if they are just going to try patch some holes on this sinking ship.

Ok... so this team has been obliterated from a continuity and moral standpoint. The Saunders offense is gone and no one is sure the true nature of the Zorn offense. Many speculate it's a WCO but which... the Holmgrem dink and dunk or the Coryell/Gibbs Play Action downfield verticle game. Regardless, this team should guard against placing all their eggs in Campbell's basket. Sure, the kid has athleticism and a big time arm... but can we really be sure he is our franchise QB?

I'd trade out of the 21st spot and try to pick up a 2nd round pick.... perhaps with a team itching to move up and grab someone who has fallen down the board. Use the Quinn slide as an example... see how the Patriots are almost always involved in a trade down the 1st round board and the accumulation of additional picks. I'd take the best defensive end or corner in the first... and with one of the seconds I'd take Flacco. The kid is huge, has a great arm, and is said to be "super smart". Let the two compete...winner starts.... loser is 3rd back-up behind a veteran.

This team has got to start thinking about it's long-term future... we're going to have to begin stockpiling talent and making the most of the draft. I think it starts with the new staff and an injection of competition to Campbell. If they both show promise... we've got a great future chip to bargain with for additional talent upgrades.

If by some chance we did get this Flacco kid and by some chance he "looks better" than JC. 1) Do you really think a new HC would start a 2nd round QB over a 4th year guy who has already shown "upside" in 20 games AND put the same 4th year guy to 3RD STRING? :doh:

Good idea in theory, but you can't bail on a qb that has shown upside after 20 games and will be entering his 3rd system in 4 years and 7th in 8 years going back to college.

I do like the idea of trading down picks. Instead of going after a home run, try and trade down in order to get more. With the 2 picks we could go after a DL and CB :)

It should be obvious by now that Jason Campbell is not a "franchise quarterback." The minute he went down last year, the offense clicked. I don't care how many starts he has, he hasn't done anything in those start. I get so tired of all the excuses fans and the staff use for JC. Many of us didn't think we should have drafted him and he's doing nothing to validate spending what we did on him.

Therefore, I would love for the Redskins to draft Flacco in the second round, and he should be there for us. We need another young, highly regarded QB to come in and see what he can do. If we pin our team's hopes on JC, we will be in for a very disappointing serveral years.

Get rid of Collins and Brunell, draft Flacco (or someone else on Day One), and grab a young veteren current backup QB (Seneca Wallace??). Let them all fight it out in training camp and the preseason and may the best QB win.

Hail,

H

If by some chance we did get this Flacco kid and by some chance he "looks better" than JC. 1) Do you really think a new HC would start a 2nd round QB over a 4th year guy who has already shown "upside" in 20 games AND put the same 4th year guy to 3RD STRING? :doh:

What "upside" are you talking about? JC's mediocre QB rating? His overall mediocre completion percentage? His poor yards per attempt and yards per completion averages? His TD to INT ratio? Or his stellar winning percentage as a starter (I believe he's 7 - 13 and the QBs that preceeded and followed him did a helluva lot better)? The last four games of this past season clearly demonstrated what the problem with our offense was all year long - Jason Campbell. It's no coincidence that our offense became much better when JC went down.

If Flacco or anyone came in and "looks better" than JC, then I absolutely would start them. The best players should play based on performance, but for some reason, people around here think being the starting QB for the Redskins is Jason Campbell's birth right.

Hail,

H

With how Adarius Bowman is playing he'll be around for our 2nd round pick for sure. And then everyone gets the possession receiver they always wanted. I don't think we're going to see a huge rebuild at this point. Our cap structure simply wouldn't allow us to get rid of many of our highly paid players.

Going for a qb in the second round would be madness though. Atleast lets see how campbell does in this system first. I'd prefer Henne over Flacco. How many small school qb's have been successful in the nfl? That would be an interesting question to have answered. Do we really want tarvaris jackson on our team?

It should be obvious by now that Jason Campbell is not a "franchise quarterback." The minute he went down last year, the offense clicked. I don't care how many starts he has, he hasn't done anything in those start. I get so tired of all the excuses fans and the staff use for JC. Many of us didn't think we should have drafted him and he's doing nothing to validate spending what we did on him.

Therefore, I would love for the Redskins to draft Flacco in the second round, and he should be there for us. We need another young, highly regarded QB to come in and see what he can do. If we pin our team's hopes on JC, we will be in for a very disappointing serveral years.

Get rid of Collins and Brunell, draft Flacco (or someone else on Day One), and grab a young veteren current backup QB (Seneca Wallace??). Let them all fight it out in training camp and the preseason and may the best QB win.

Hail,

H

He has played 20 gtames, last year he didn't take many snapps until just before he started. Our Oline was swiss cheese, heck Joe Montana himself could not have done much better with out line the way it was. I say you keep brunnel (didn't the Jags use a West Coast Offense when he was there?) Plus how many receivers had drops this year? Even Cooley had drops at key times that hurt Campbell's stats. No YOu give him another year, now you might want to draft a guy to replace him (maybe a Henne or Flacco), but you make them sit a year regardless. I'm not convinced a rookie would beat out Campbell, but hey if he's good enough to do it as a rookie, sure why not give him a shot, but I'm telling you its still too soon to throw in the towel on Jason. He has played better then a lot of QBs in the league.

What "upside" are you talking about? JC's mediocre QB rating? His overall mediocre completion percentage? His poor yards per attempt and yards per completion averages? His TD to INT ratio? Or his stellar winning percentage as a starter (I believe he's 7 - 13 and the QBs that preceeded and followed him did a helluva lot better)? The last four games of this past season clearly demonstrated what the problem with our offense was all year long - Jason Campbell. It's no coincidence that our offense became much better when JC went down.

If Flacco or anyone came in and "looks better" than JC, then I absolutely would start them. The best players should play based on performance, but for some reason, people around here think being the starting QB for the Redskins is Jason Campbell's birth right.

Hail,

H

As I already said, how many drops did campbell have in the first 4 games? If moss catches a couple balls, or holds on against Green Bay, we win that game. I'll go on record now, if JC gets the start next year, And remains healthy he will make you all eat those words.

Hail,

H

This post seems to reflect a lack of patience with normal QB development, one that is shared by our FO, and it is the root cause of our lack of franchise QBs since Joey T.

Yes you can point to two or three QBs historically that clicked uber fast like Brady. That's 2 or 3 out of hundreds!

Imho, the FO (and you) need to suck it up, and quit planning on the Skins winning the qb lotto...it isn't going to happen.

I'm all for competition btw, but comment like "it should be obvious by now that Jason Campbell is not a "franchise quarterback"" are simply absurd.

Hail,

Ebg

Does everybody realize that our team has been in a constant rebuilding state since Joe Gibbs left the first time and Richie Pettibone took over and started the destruction of this organization in 1993? Then JG comes back, offers some stability and moves the team in the right direction to only have Dan Snyder & Vinny destroy the foundation JG has created in a few short weeks after JG second retirement? We are now entering another season of rebuilding after Danny literally promised CONTINUITY!! I'm so sick of Dan Snyder playing russian roulette with coaching staffs and players. Why do you think NE is so successful? CONTINUITY with CORE PLAYERS and a non-medling owner!! :doh:
This post seems to reflect a lack of patience with normal QB development, one that is shared by our FO, and it is the root cause of our lack of franchise QBs since Joey T.

Yes you can point to two or three QBs historically that clicked uber fast like Brady. That's 2 or 3 out of hundreds!

Imho, the FO (and you) need to suck it up, and quit planning on the Skins winning the qb lotto...it isn't going to happen.

I'm all for competition btw, but comment like "it should be obvious by now that Jason Campbell is not a "franchise quarterback"" are simply absurd.

Hail,

Ebg

peyton might be a better example of QB development, Brady sat one or two years behind Bledsoe before he got his first start.

Joe Flacco in the 2nd? Are you kidding me? First of all his team doesn't face very talented teams. Second of all if you have watched him he plays pretty much exclusively out of the spread shotgun formation. Like, all the time. In my mind he is basically an upgraded Jordan Palmer. Not only would he have to get used to the speed, talent level, and complexity of an NFL offense as well as NFL defenses, but he would also have to learn to work from under center. The guy would be a major project and a 2nd rounder for that is silly when we have so many glaring holes in our lineup. 5th or 6th round? I might take him then. He put up huge numbers but again, remember that he played in a pure shotgun spread system. I'm not saying he is a bad QB. He has good size, a good arm, and pretty good poise. But with all of the things I mentioned I think we'd be idiots if we took him on the 1st day.

Besides, the FO has already said that one of the reasons they liked Zorn and brought him in was to work with JC and help him develop.

It really doesn't matter what any of us think. Danny and Vinney now control it all. OC, DC. All they need to do is hire a figure head HC so they can fire him and blame their mistakes on him. This is so sad. How can someone with so much money and obvious inteligence continue to mess up. Time to rebuild?:laugh: :laugh:

I suggested Flacco in the 2nd because that's where I heard he was positioned on the board. If it's lower rounds...the better. Additionally, I suggested taking Flacco ONLY if we could trade out of the 21st spot and pick up an additional 2nd round pick.

Ultimately, I just believe that Campbell should have competition from a younger QB with talent. Anointing Campbell the Franchise QB is dangerous. I think he's talented... and I believe he could improve into a top 10 NFL QB... but I believe the Redskins shouldn't place all their eggs in his basket.

Do you realize where the team will be if what we see from Campbell is all he has? Have you noticed the teams in the playoffs this year? All of them have talented top 10 NFL Qbs....save for Garcia... who just simply knows the WCO offense better than most QBs.

The last thing I think the Redskins should do would be standing around a season or two from now and realizing they've got a game manager at QB and not a guy who can hoist the team on his back and win games.

Archived