Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Zorn top candidate as O coordinator but no Fassel deal yet (merged--of course)

Avic

Assuming it's true, how in the hell does one have a coordinator waiting for a HC that hasn't been hired yet? I mean what HC worth hiring is going to let someone else hire his staff before he gets there? Either we have our HC and there's disagreements over $$$, control or both OR it's just more Snyderatto incompetence. :mad:

Assuming it's true, how in the hell does one have a coordinator waiting for a HC that hasn't been hired yet? I mean what HC worth hiring is going to let someone else hire his staff before he gets there?

Snyder's hero/mentor/idol Jerry Jones did it. He hired his OC first and got the lapdog he needed second.

Danny "mini-me" Snyder is just doing what he sees.

A more up to date version is here http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3210819

Former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel remains under strong consideration to fill the Washington head coach vacancy, but a Redskins' source said late Wednesday he has not yet been offered the position and that club officials might still decide to wait until after Super Bowl XLII to interview one or more assistants from the franchises involved in the championship game.

Team and league sources also insisted that Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who was considered the heir apparent to Joe Gibbs and who has interviewed four times with owner Daniel Snyder and executive vice president Vinny Cerrato in the past 10 days, is still a candidate for the position.

It has been rumored that the Redskins might be interested in meeting with Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who has vast experience in the NFC East. Before being named as the Giants' coordinator, Spagnuolo was the Philadelphia Eagles' linebackers coach for eight seasons. A Washington source acknowledged Thursday that Spagnuolo is "on the radar screen" of Redskins' officials.

League rules prohibit the Redskins from interviewing Spagnuolo or any other assistants from the Giants or the New England Patriots until after the Super Bowl.

Snyder may take a few days to consider his options. If he decides not to wait until after the Super Bowl to expand his list of candidates, the job could very well go to Fassel, who compiled a 60-56-1 record in seven seasons as the Giants' head coach (1997-2003), and who led the club to a Super Bowl XXXV appearance. Fassel, who most recently served as the Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator before being dismissed from that job midway through the 2006 season, was also a head coach candidate in Washington in 2004 before Snyder coaxed Gibbs out of retirement.

Fassel, 58, on Monday interviewed with Snyder and Cerrato for a second time in recent weeks.

On Wednesday, the Redskins met with Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn, and he has emerged as the top choice to be their new offensive coordinator, no matter who is hired as head coach. It appears that the Redskins will part ways with assistant head coach/offense Al Saunders, who joined the staff in 2006 as one of the NFL's highest paid assistants.

Zorn, Seattle's quarterbacks coach for the past seven years, met with Snyder at Snyder's home, a person familiar with the coaching selection process told The Associated Press.

Zorn is a longtime local favorite in Seattle. He was the franchise's original starting quarterback in 1976 and played nine seasons with the team. He returned as an offensive assistant from 1997-98 and again as quarterbacks coach in 2001.

The hiring of Zorn or any new offensive coordinator would represent yet another scheme change for Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell, who has played in six different offensive systems over his last seven years of college and professional football.

The Redskins also want to hire Rex Ryan as the team's new defensive coordinator, sources said. Ryan has been the defensive coordinator for the Ravens for the past three seasons. But the Redskins have been stymied in their attempts to hire him because the Ravens still retain contractual rights that allow them to block Ryan from taking another defensive coordinator job.

Last week, as first reported by ESPN.com, the Redskins arranged an interview with Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, whose contract with the Bucs had expired. But just hours before he was to board a plane for the meeting with the Redskins, Kiffin agreed to a mutiyear contract extension with Tampa Bay on a deal believed to be worth about $2 million per year.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

but a Redskins' source said late Wednesday he has not yet been offered the position and that club officials might still decide to wait until after Super Bowl XLII to interview one or more assistants from the franchises involved in the championship game.

No they stated Fassel has not been offered any position

nothing more, everything else is pure speculation

and the Kiffin rumor was debunk as nothing more than a rumor

The media is making fools of themselves over all of this... they have been almost 100% wrong on many things they have been printing as fact... that is nothing more than speculation

It appears that the Redskins will part ways with assistant head coach/offense Al Saunders, who joined the staff in 2006 as one of the NFL's highest paid assistants. Zorn, Seattle's quarterbacks coach for the past seven years, met with Snyder at Snyder's home, a person familiar with the coaching selection process told The Associated Press.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3210819&type=story

Snyder, how can you fire Al Saunders, one of the most brilliant offensive minds of the history of the NFL??? Didn't you see what possibilities we have in his system? Did you not see what Todd frickin' Collins was able to do once he understood the system? Why rush to replace such a potentially awesome offense. Don't you understand the offense was handcuffed by an almost rookie QB?

Seriously, you need to learn how to be an owner. You haven't learned sh*t through these tragic nine years where all the fans have had to endure with your senseless bullsh*t.

PLEASE KEEP SAUNDERS and STAY AWAY FROM PERSONNEL DECISIONS

YOU'VE GOT NO BUSINESS MAKING FOOTBALL DECISIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a member of the self-appointed thread police, but given the mass hysteria that is currently reigning around here, I think you really need to change the thread title. First, there is nothing in the article that says that Zorn has been offered and accepted, the OC position, which is what the title of your thread implies. Second, this article seems to me simply to be the speculation that is going on everywhere in the media.

I don't know how the coaching scenario is going to play out, but I don't think anyone in the media does, either.

Link is fixed.

Thanks.

And thanks for changing the title too. Definitely nothing definitive yet that I can see.

That being said, I do think this is a slightly different article than we've been seeing. And it does, IMO, sound like Zorn will be in as OC.

We'll see.

Thanks.

And thanks for changing the title too. Definitely nothing definitive yet that I can see.

That being said, I do think this is a slightly different article than we've been seeing. And it does, IMO, sound like Zorn will be in as OC.

We'll see.

Man, I am SO disappointed right now. I love Al Saunders and his body of work so far. I thought he produced some of the finest offense ever in the NFL! The Rams, the Chiefs... How can you not give this guy a fair shake? If Collins started the whole season, I think we could've seen a crazy offense. Why does Dan Snyder have to mess with everything to just for the sake of change.

Man, I am SO disappointed right now. I love Al Saunders and his body of work so far. I thought he produced some of the finest offense ever in the NFL! The Rams, the Chiefs... How can you not give this guy a fair shake? If Collins started the whole season, I think we could've seen a crazy offense. Why does Dan Snyder have to mess with everything to just for the sake of change.

He did. No question.

I was just having this discussion with Tastes Like Chicken yesterday. Look, we never got to see Al Saunders, 100% running Al Saunders' offense. It was between the 20s, and I'm sure had a built in "overrule" if necessary, from a legendary coach who called his own offenses his whole career.

Offense in the NFL is about rhythm, timing and flow. And I think that's part of why we struggled last year (in addition to the OL injuries). You simply can't have two guys trying to run the offense; as much as I respect them both.

As my TLC put it, "too many chiefs."

nobody knows ****?

:)

Pretty much.

And also, the second we (read: I) think we start to know ANYTHING about what's going on here, it's jerked out from under us like a tablecloth from fine china. :laugh:

Now.

I have to go back through that story to find out why I gave it more credibility than any of the others (i.e. -- fell for it again.) :laugh:

I've met Zorn. He's a sharp guy, seemed pretty cool, and seems to be doing a good job in SEA. And we still don't know what's really happening yet, nor do the media.

Personally, I don't see Zorn moving from here with his family to go live there. But I could easily be wrong because just like everyone else, I don't know for sure either.

Archived