Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How long until you ask someone to be your girlfriend/boyfriend

SkinsFanRob

If you are 20 years old, you are past the stage of asking a girl "Will you go with me, will you be my girlfriend"

You know when she is.

That's what I was thinking. :laugh:

As far as the dreaded DTR - just let things flow, dude. If you're together, having a good time, who cares what your official status is? It don't mean **** until you have a ring on her finger anyway.

I don't think you have to ask someone to be your gf. I think that's for high school. It just happens. If she's still running around with other guys after you hooked up, she's not ready for a committment at this time. Most people your age are not ready. Hell, I'm not ready. :D

IMO, the key to being 20 is to enjoy yourself. Don't take it more seriously than it is and realize if she breaks up or moves on, it doesn't say anything bad about you. Just means she wasn't ready.

For me personally, and as a female, boyfriend/girlfriend titles are overrated. Even when I was in high school, I would date a guy a few times and would just sort of know. I don't believe I've ever had a conversation with a guy where we sat down and decided that we were boyfriend/girlfriend and that we wouldn't date other people. It just sort of happened. Sure, if we'd go out or meet family or something, I'd say, "This is my boyfriend such and such", but it wasn't a big deal. After a few dates or whatnot, it's pretty easy to figure out without having a big discussion about it.

If you want to know what she thinks, have her introduce you to some friends or family that you haven't met yet and see what she says.

The only title you need to worry about eventually is fiance or wife. Until then, don't sweat it. :)

I don't think you have to ask someone to be your gf. I think that's for high school. It just happens.

IMO, the key to being 20 is to enjoy yourself.

I don't believe I've ever had a conversation with a guy where we sat down and decided that we were boyfriend/girlfriend and that we wouldn't date other people.

Well, I think it depends on the person. I myself have been burned because a girl I was exclusively seeing for 3 months (who I thought was my gf, but apparently wasn't) didn't want to have a relationship. Same with a friend of mine. Obviously I could have seen some signs, and I'm definitely wiser (and more cynical) now, but I think this conversation is somewhat important to have especially in the college years, just because guys and girls are more likely to think something is "casual" versus a serious relationship. But then again, I'm only saying this because I was burned before...once bitten, twice shy.

In any case, I think Midnight Judge's advice is the best. Enjoy being 20...why would you want a relationship? I wish I could be in college again knowing what I know now, because I definitely would have been more casual with dating and relationships.

Archived