Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Redskins Expected to Name Fassel as New Coach

HapHaszard

This is just a horrible move. Not because Fassel is a bad coach, but because we were on the cusp of being a power house.

This is all Cerrato's doing. Given the respect Dan had for Gibbs, I doubt he would have initiated all this.

Cerrato, as a de facto GM, has every right to build a team in his image -- but the timing, his timing is completely wrong. This should have been done AFTER next year, if it were to be done at all, after finding out whether Gibbs team is good or bad.

Gibbs really should have stayed that 1 extra year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/23/AR2008012302806.html?hpid=topnews

The Washington Redskins are expected to name Jim Fassel their new head coach and Jim Zorn has emerged as the top choice to be their new offensive coordinator, sources said this afternoon, but no deals have been finalized.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I'd much prefer Ryan as a DC over Williams.

The problem is that they have completely opposite philosophies, and our current defensive personnel have been brought in to fit Williams' scheme.

The good news is that if Ryan does come here, we're guaranteed to address the front 4.

I've been lobbying hard for Justin Smith, but that was assuming that it would be another year of Williams defense. If Ryan comes, Suggs, who would've been a complete misfit on Williams D, suddenly becomes a viable option.

I posted something similar to this in another thread so let me give it a whirl here. Tell me what you think.

maybe Gibbs said **** it and walked away because he couldn't even deal with Dan Snyder and Cerrato.

You know Gibbs would NEVER utter an Ill word about the organization that he loves so deeply. So maybe he's just walking away into the Sunset. Man it would be so nice to know what he REALLY thinks about Dan. If my assumption is even correct

Intersting - hadn't thought of that. Gibbs IS the ultimate company man, so I'd never expect him to say anything publicly.

I definitely don't like the direction that all of this is headed though.

If they can get Jim Zorn and Rex Ryan, I will be happy with them hiring Fassel.

We need to get younger and faster on defense. Rex Ryan will help with that.

Jim Zorn has been Seattle's QB coach for 7 years. An OC job will obviously be a shot for him. I have a feeling that he will do well though.

I think this change will be a lot better than keeping Saunders and Williams.

Just like in hiring Wade Phillips in Dallas, it will all depend on who the OC and DC are.

i thought snyder learned something from Gibbs. He is a liar...who said in the Gibbs departure conference that he is all for continuity...and now this...he is a complete idiot and dumb...just look at his college grades....he cant string together 2 sentences together....

This is just a horrible move. Not because Fassel is a bad coach, but because we were on the cusp of being a power house.

Stop dreaming. We were still an average team at best. I think Gibbs knew this and got out on a decent finish.

Change was needed and Gibbs knew it. I think Gibbs has been wanting to leave since last spring, but hung on for one more season. That's why he wanted to keep a full stock of draft picks this year for his successor.

One of the unfortunate things is that Snyder's reputation was just starting to turn around.

He appeared to let Gibbs do his own thing. He recieved a lot of praise for his handling of the Sean Taylor tragedy and now he did this, something so incredibly stupid.

I really have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. NO MORE!

If what I hear is true (of course it may not be), why is he interviewing the assistants???

I feel lied to..Snyder's claims of continuity were pure BS.

Why can't the new staff maintain continuity? Wade Phillips did it with dall-ass this year. Tony Dungy did it with the Colts when he took over and there are many other examples.

There will be some changes, but not necessarily major changes.

Stop dreaming. We were still an average team at best. I think Gibbs knew this and got out on a decent finish.

Change was needed and Gibbs knew it. I think Gibbs has been wanting to leave since last spring, but hung on for one more season. That's why he wanted to keep a full stock of draft picks this year for his successor.

are you absolutely insane! you think we need change. The last time I checked we got to the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 yers. Remind me how many times we have been to the playoffs prior to that?

I am totally off the Snyder bandwagon if the new crew is fassel, ryan and the new o coordinator. What a huge mistake, there will be no continuity and no team anymore, get ready for huge overhaul. Joe Gibbs would never make these choices. Did snyder not hear the players and coaches constantly saying they want williams as coach? The players will completely lose faith in what it means to be a redskin if these are the choices snyder ends up making, he will also lose multiple fans and be right back in the hot seat with the fans and publics opinion of him. What a terrible choice, please dont do this snyder!

are you absolutely insane! you think we need change. The last time I checked we got to the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 yers. Remind me how many times we have been to the playoffs prior to that?

How many times have almost everyone said that they have too many coaches? and the highest paid coaches? and with all that, the team still struggles?

We need more youth and speed on defense. Our offense is still a mess.

Just like in 1993, Gibbs knew that the team was in need of a overhaul even after just winning a Super Bowl and going to the divisional playoffs the next season. The team got too old and Gibbs didn't want to go back to rebuilding the team. So, he retired.

Really? Did we really do ANYTHING in the last 4 years. If the team isn't in the top elite of the league (and it isn't), then nothing is lost.

you have the dumbest opinions on the board...have you not watched how futile the Redskins were since all through the 90s after 91, and up till Gibbs got here.

Snyder...it's you're team and you're entitled to run it as you see fit. However do not expect every fan to follow step with you...and who knows maybe this will all work out and Fassell will lead us to the promised land...but if it falls apart like a house of cards...don't think that Coach Gibbs is going to come in here and save your a** again!

You had a chance to really make a good hire and (IMO) you blew it!

How many times has almost everyone said that they have too many coaches? and the highest paid coaches? and with all that, the team still struggles?

We need more youth and speed on defense. Our offense is still a mess.

Just like in 1993, Gibbs knew that the team was in need of a overhaul even after just winning a Super Bowl and going to the divisional playoffs the next season. The team got too old and Gibbs didn't want to go back to rebuilding the team.

yeah and that is called getting a good GM and leaving the coaches intact. Instead we fire the coaches, systems that were very successful and keep the gay racketball buddy of snyder. How about hiring Ron Wolf and keeping the coaches and getting some good cheap draft type talent. If he had more depth on the right side of the line Gibbs may still be here. If you understand football you might agree.

Archived