Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Redskins Expected to Name Fassel as New Coach

HapHaszard

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/23/AR2008012302806.html?hpid=topnews

The Washington Redskins are expected to name Jim Fassel their new head coach and Jim Zorn has emerged as the top choice to be their new offensive coordinator, sources said this afternoon, but no deals have been finalized.

The hang-up is that the Redskins also want to name Rex Ryan as the team's new defensive coordinator, sources said. Ryan has been the defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens for the past three seasons. But the Redskins have been stymied in their attempts to hire him because the Ravens still retain contractual rights that allow them to block Ryan from taking another defensive coordinator job.

The sides may reach an agreement, but Ravens ownership badly wants to keep Ryan, who is well-liked by Ravens players. Fassel and Ryan spoke as recently as last night, sources said, and Ryan interviewed with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder recently, according to sources.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

To be honest after years of GW, I'm ok with the hiring of Rex Ryan as our DC. Atleast we have a young solid DC that knows how to adjust to the more complex offense's and shutting them down. Not only that, but I really think Ryan has an eye for young talent and knows how to utilize them. So frankly, eventhough fasell will be HC, we can't do any worse than what we already had and what we've seen over the last couple of years.

Jim Zorn was a helluva QB back in his day with Seattle and was a super smart guy in the words of Joe Gibbs. So, all you people that was calling for Jason Garrett to get a call from Mr.Snyder, I feel pretty good about Jim Zorn tutoring Jason Campbell and bringing something fresh and new to the table. I also have a good feeling about Jim Zorn maybe having a good eye for young QB talent from the college ranks, just in case.

So, it's not as bad as we think people and eventhough other's are laughing I think we're going to be okay. People somewhat laughed at Jerry Jones when the hiring of Phillips was annouced and certainly Jason Garrett that came out of nowhere. So maybe we have something in the making here and I difintely feel that way when it comes to getting younger talent to go along with what we already have.

Jim Fassel may not be the biggest dog on the porch, but the guy did have several playoffs teams and led the Giants to the SB. Not only did he lead the Giants to the SB, but he pulled a major upset against the Vikings in Minny when the Vikings first got Moss and was shattering every offense of record they're was. Unfortunately, the Giants ran into one of the best defenses of All-Time when it came to winning a SB. Because they certainly didn't have an offense nor a QB. And maybe Rex Ryan can help build our defense into one to be reckoned with. Because Danny wants to win a SB and in order for us to win a SB we must deal with the likes of Brady, Manning and another Manning and Romo sits to pee for years. But let's not forget, maybe those teams will have something to deal with in Jason Campbell if Jim Zorn can tutor him like I think he can.

Anyhow, we might as well get over it because what's done is done. So let's look at the strong points and maybe what this crew can bring to the table opposed to what not. Now! all we can do is hope the current players buy into the new regime and play their hearts out for them come first Sunday of the new NFL season.

HAIL

This quote is from the bottom of the article. Seems like Dan hasn't changed a bit. We will never win anything with him as the owner.

"The moves appear to contradict statements Snyder made at the news conference announcing Gibbs's departure two weeks ago. Then, Snyder stressed his desire to maintain continuity and praised Gibbs for stabilizing a franchise that had gone through four head coaches in the four seasons before he arrived.

Now, naming two new coordinators and a new head coach would result in a complete overhaul of the team."

I just saw the same thing! If this is for real, it is a terrible hire. Fassel never seemed to be anything more than a mediocre coach with the Giants, plus the coaching turnover disrupts chemistry just as we were starting to build momentum, forces Campbell to learn a new offensive system, and -in my opinion- downgrades our collective coaching staff's leadership and inspirational ability.

In fact, this is maybe the worst news: that we finally move to (essentially) hire a GM, but its the same old Vinnie, same old management. Ugh. :doh:

I am sick.

What is Snyder thinking? The only thing Fassell knows about the word Coach is that it's handbag store. I lived in the Giants back yard when he was HC there. He is a joke in NJ.

Fassell's record in his last three years as HC of the Giants: 21 wins and 27 losses.

Spurrier had a better record than Fassell in 2003--each coach's last year as a HC in the NFL.

Schottenheimer had a better record than Fassell in 2001, Marty's only year as HC of the Redskins.

This cannot be.

It cannot be true.

I am off the Snyder bandwagon if this is true.

The horror.

If true, my tickets are for sale in the classifieds.

There's no way I would have ever believed myself if I could go back in time to before the season and explain to my September-self what would happen to the REDSKINS by January 24th, 2008. Incredible.

The injuries, blowing leads, losing Sean, crazy playoff run, disappointing ending, Gibbs leaving again, and finally management possibly blowing the coaching staff and team up.

Are we the Knicks of the NFL?

This possible dismantling of a team reminds me of Charley O. Finley and the Oakland A's of the early 70's, and trust me it is not a complement in any way.

Seems like the NFL should be able to step in and stop this. Snyder, if all this is true, is much like the teenage girl who cuts herself. What is his underlying issue that has him need to do destroy this. He is WAY TOO confident that the fan base will support him under any circumstances.

Let all of us fans pool our resources and buy the team from him.

Sorry, just venting.

To be honest after years of GW, I'm ok with the hiring of Rex Ryan as our DC. At least we have a young solid DC that knows how to adjust to the more complex offense's and shutting them down. Not only that, but I really think Ryan has an eye for young talent and knows how to utilize them. So frankly, eventhough fasell will be HC, we can't do any worse than what we already had and what we've seen over the last couple of years...

You have got to be kidding. GW had a top-ten defense in three of the four years here.

..Jim Zorn was a helluva QB back in his day with Seattle ...

Joe Namath was a heck of a QB, too, and a good drinker. Should he be the OC?

...And maybe Rex Ryan can help build our defense into one to be reckoned with. ..

Maybe pigs can fly. Maybe the D was already built, and now it's about to be dismantled.

Anyhow, we might as well get over it because what's done is done. So let's look at the strong points and maybe what this crew can bring to the table opposed to what not.

HAIL

My season tickets are available in the ES Classifieds. Please buy them.

Archived