Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Classic Star Spangled Banner. Mr. Marvin Gaye.

playboy1972

IMHO.... I hate it...

Sorry, I am not a fan of renditions of the national anthem. The star spangled banner means so much to me and every time I hear a band play it I get chills when sung properly in its origninal musical format I get chills... however, when it is rendered to a jazz,country,rock or any other genre to me it loses all feeling.

but as I said thats my opinion

Whitney Houstons was great I thought aside from that I do like his music just not this time

IMHO.... I hate it...

Sorry, I am not a fan of renditions of the national anthem. The star spangled banner means so much to me and every time I hear a band play it I get chills when sung properly in its origninal musical format I get chills... however, when it is rendered to a jazz,country,rock or any other genre to me it loses all feeling.

but as I said thats my opinion

Whitney Houstons was great I thought aside from that I do like his music just not this time

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Indeed. As much as I love Marvin Gaye ("Let's Get It On"), renditions of the national anthem bring attention to the artist and takes it away from the flag and the meaning of the words. Way too jazzy and people were hoopin' and hollerin' all through the piece (most of you know my opinion about on that! :rolleyes: ). Jimi Hendrix was guilty of that, also.

Having said that, Whitney Houston gave a stirring, classy performance with it.

It's a damn shame how that man lost his life too. He was definitely one of the best. This is funny because I actually requested "Sexual Healing" for me and my girl to dance to at our company party last night.

Indeed. He and his father never got along. In fact, his father abused him all during his childhood. Finally, Marvin stood up to him and it cost him his life when "dear ol' Dad" shot him to death. The father died in prison years later. Such a tragedy.

I have to agree with the individuals who prefer the "classic" version to the "renditions". The song just has too much in the way of emotional ties for me to be able to listen to it in anything other than it "classic" and intended meter and verse. That's why I'm just as happy to hear it played by a band, or as an instrumental recording as I am to hear somebody sing the words. I know the words already, thanks.

Indeed. He and his father never got along. In fact, his father abused him all during his childhood. Finally, Marvin stood up to him and it cost him his life when "dear ol' Dad" shot him to death. The father died in prison years later. Such a tragedy.

it was a little more complicated than that.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/celebrity/marvin_gaye/index.htmlspacer.gif

• 3 years later...

Archived