Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle Experience-

ljs

Hi to all of the Skins fans I met in Seattle. (This is Lori) I was one of the few Skins fans from the Northwest. Sad to say that I am ashamed at how many of those fans acted. The physical assaults and things said about Taylor were just too much. I wrote a letter and sent it to the Seahawks organization, the Seattle Times and the Seattle Post. I encourage any fan who experienced the low class behavior in Seattle, contact the team customer relations. They did respond and asked for my seat number to pull video tapes of one incident where a Hawks fan was beratting Mike Sellers family. Below is the letter I sent. Let's not be discouraged and come full force for the 2008 regular season game!

First, I want to say, congratulations to the Seahawks for a great game played and won. I also want to thank the many fans who cheered their team with great sportsmanship. I also want to thank Jason (unk last name) who gave me his 12th man flag to put on my friends grave. I told him of her murder earlier this year and how much of a Seahawks fans she was. However, for the several hundred fans that crossed the line, I think the Seahawks organization would be ashamed to know of their behavior.

Although I live in the Northwest, I have been a Redskins fan for over 25 years. I went to the game wearing my Redskins jersey, coat and visor; and it is obvious I am a woman. I knew that going to this game in Redskins gear; I would get people screaming at me, calling names and such. That is fine. But what I did not think would happen is that a grown man, nearly twice my size would feel the need to grab a hold of my coat and shake me, while screaming obscenities in my face. This happened to at least 3 other female Redskins fans, before the game ever started. (One of whom is 60 years old). One instance was right in front of a Seattle police officer. When I pointed to where the man was walking, the officer just said, “OK” and walked the other direction. I also had a female fan push me, grab me and chest bump me, trying to get me to fight her. I simply told her to keep her hands off me and walked on. A co-worker of mine, who is a die hard Seahawk fan told me, “Wow, yeah I saw some things that were way out of line. There was a Redskins fan that got beat up a section over from me. I was surprised as well, usually there is some heckling, but nothing like what I saw.”

Does the Seahawk organization condone fighting? Let alone men attempting to beat up women?

The other low class fans felt the need to spit derogatory comments about Sean Taylor. Numerous fans made comments that not only did he deserve to be killed, but that the shooters should have killed is baby girl too. Over 50 of the Redskins fans, who gathered before the game, all heard numerous Seahawk fans make these types of remarks about Taylor’s death. Do they think that Kelly Jennings would appreciate them speaking of his former teammate that way? I would be interested to see what Jennings has to say about this.

The last issue surrounds Mike Sellers and his family. I was fortunate enough to sit behind is aunt, sister and few other relatives. Even his daughter, around 8 yrs old, came up to where we were sitting. When a Seahawks fan, two rows behind us, saw the “Sellers” jerseys, he went nuts. He started screaming profanities about Mike Sellers, knowing his young daughter could hear them. When I (and even some other Seahawks fans) told him to “chill out,” he cursed at us even more and stated he did not give an “F” about the little girl, and kept screaming profanity. Mike’s aunt told me that his daughter had been crying earlier when another fan screamed at her, about her dad. Would Matt Hasselbeck like to have a grown man scream profanities at his young daughters? How would the Seahawks players feel if it were their daughter, their mother or sister who was physically assaulted?

I think the Seahawks organization should stand up and speak out about the violence at their stadium. They should also send apologies to Mike Sellers and his family, as well as Sean Taylor’s family. I am not sure why this has become such a problem. I was here a few years ago for a regular season Redskins vs. Seahawks game and no one said a word to me. Do people think that because their team is now a “powerhouse’ that they have a right to act like a bunch of animals?

The message is simple. Cheer for your team any way you can. But, you do not assault people, especially women and you do not take out your anger on an innocent little girl who has nothing to do with her fathers’ comments.

Nice letter but unfortuately there is no way any sports organization could ever prevent any of this from happening. It happens all the time in Phily and never changes, probably won't in Seattle.

I know my plans to go there next year for the regular season rematch has been scratched after what I have heard about their fans. Seahawks makes the Eagles fans seem like angels.

ljsheeley

I am so sorry for what you went through -- no one deserves that!! Thank you so much for the intelligent letter that you wrote to the organization. So many people talk about the injustices they've gone through. But you took action....thank you again. And I hope that they have the decency to respond to you and make amends for those horrible incidents.

D'KanSkinFa- I walked away too. I used to be in law enforcement and the military. I could have easily kicked that gals rear. I just kept thinking, "She isn't worth missing the game." Lucky for her, I am a die hard fan. No one, not even drunk, low class people will keep me from cheering for my team. I know that so many spent thousands to come out here and they think it was a waste of money. I know I couldn't have made it if I didn't live so close. I still hope we can get a great crowd out here in the fall.

doesn't shock me one bit. Lost in the marketing of the Seahawks, the NFL has ignored what is the american equivalent of soccer hooliganism. They talk about how great their fans are and how loud the stadium is. Paul Allen is no dummy, he built a stadium that reflects and concentrates the sound onto the field with the apex of the sound between the hashmarks. You could fart and get a DB reading as high as a 747 in there. And the media praising their fans makes them think that not only being loud, but violent is acceptable behavior. There are jerks in every stadium; that is the nature of alcohol mixed with playoff football. But when it becomes to the point where the mob mentality kicks in, it's only a hop, skip, and a jump away from a riot and people getting seriously hurt.

To their fans, karma will come. They don't deserve the team, owner, coach, and city that they have. To quote from the "player haters ball" on Chappelle's Show, "I hope all the bad things in life happen to you, and you alone."

karma will come back to bite every single person who said or acted rudely to skins fans at the game. I have no doubt in my mind. That's why it is unnecessary for us to do anything other than to comment about it.

The organization is not doing its part if it doesn't at least in some way acknowledge their fans treated people, who tarveled thousands of mile to spend money in their city.

Makes me want to make the trip to Seattle to see a game with about 3 of my samoan homies. I'm 6'4" 230, so I would like to see them try that **** on me instead of a woman.

No wonder my girlfriend doesn't like me watching games at bar when the opposing teams fans are around.

This really pisses me off.

Sounds like a lot of sore losers on here! I'm a Seattle fan that's lived here my whole life. I highly doubt you could find any stadium in the NFL that DIDN'T have at least some drunk idiots running around yelling at people.

Boo hoo! You lost! West coast in the hizz-ouse!!!!!!!! Just keep on keepin' on over there in your own little world with your East coast bias. ESPN and all the major networks all but ignore us and when we do well they talk about how weak our division is. Is that our fault???? Can we control the records of the other teams in our division? Give me a break. If you guys won, I'd say "they're a tough team and they played better than us". I don't hear any of you saying that at all. It's always downplaying our success and blaming other reasons for us winning.

Don't you think that it's been frustrating for me to be born in raised in an area with crappy teams like the Mariners, Sonics and Seahawks?? And then I grow up watching all of the great teams from the other side of the country??

I don't condone what the idiot fans did at that game, but there's certainly a lot up pent up aggression over the years in our fans. It's not our fault our teams haven't done particularly well, but we have to put up with trash talking idiots ALL THE TIME!!! Put yourself in our shoes, man!

Sounds like a lot of sore losers on here! I'm a Seattle fan that's lived here my whole life. I highly doubt you could find any stadium in the NFL that DIDN'T have at least some drunk idiots running around yelling at people.

Boo hoo! You lost! West coast in the hizz-ouse!!!!!!!! Just keep on keepin' on over there in your own little world with your East coast bias. ESPN and all the major networks all but ignore us and when we do well they talk about how weak our division is. Is that our fault???? Can we control the records of the other teams in our division? Give me a break. If you guys won, I'd say "they're a tough team and they played better than us". I don't hear any of you saying that at all. It's always downplaying our success and blaming other reasons for us winning.

Don't you think that it's been frustrating for me to be born in raised in an area with crappy teams like the Mariners, Sonics and Seahawks?? And then I grow up watching all of the great teams from the other side of the country??

I don't condone what the idiot fans did at that game, but there's certainly a lot up pent up aggression over the years in our fans. It's not our fault our teams haven't done particularly well, but we have to put up with trash talking idiots ALL THE TIME!!! Put yourself in our shoes, man!

You pretty much just confirmed all our negative stereotypes regarding low class Seattle fans. :applause:

You pretty much just confirmed all our negative stereotypes regarding low class Seattle fans. :applause:

Unfortunately, gotta agree.

Is it our fault that the media doesn't pamper you? Many here feel like we're disrespected constantly by national media, too (even being on the East Coast). But that gives you no right to take your "pent up aggression" out on an 8 year-old kid or to beat up women! Truly classless behavior and condoning such behavior is no better.

You been to the Super Bowl, the NBA finals twice, and had Ken Griffey Jr. on your team. What more you do want? :silly:

Wow, that is horrible. I feel so badly for Sellars' daughter. I can't believe the Seahawks fans were so mean!

Lori, thank you for sharing that. I had thought Seattle was a fairly civil city (until I got back and read about all the horrible things that occurred)! Even though my personal experience in Seattle was not like that, I'm glad that you took the time to send a letter and to post it here, to actually do something to raise awareness and work toward change!

However...despite the classless statements made and behavior displayed by some Seahawks fans, I feel compelled to show more class than they did and say that not all the Seattle fans acted like that. As we walked out of the stadium, we had a number of Seattle fans approach us, ask how we'd been treated, and apologize for anyone who might have done anything inappropriate, which no one in our section did. There was one guy behind us who would occasionally scream profanities, but the guys behind us, also Seahawks fans, said they would protect us and help us out if the other guys got any worse. So...just want to say that there were many civil Seahawks fans, too.

Archived