Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank you Dan Snyder for the chance to get to know JOE GIBBS!!!

GOSKN5

I am one of those people that falls into the category of a "younger generation skins fan" when the first Superbowl runs were going on I was a youngster around 10 or so and I loved the Redskins.

I was however, young and I didnt get into it as far as the players, coaches, etc. I was not nearly as addicted as I am now. The skins were my team and I wasnt shy to admit that, but I didnt know the people behind the lines. I knew who Joe Gibbs was, but I didnt know Joe Gibbs.

I feel as though I owe some thanks to Dan Snyder for getting Joe to come back and be a part of my life. I feel like I know him as good as anyone can know him without actually meeting him. I think if it wasnt for Dan Snyder and Coach Joe coming back a part of my Redskins history and legacy would be something that I only read about in books and magazines.

In short I would not have had the opportunity to see one of the greatest coaches of all time lead the greatest organization of all time. I feel as though they allowed me to connect with the past Redskins history and have the chance to grow as a Redskins Fan.

Thanks Dan and more importantly thanks Joe Gibbs for being a great leader and coach, we will all miss you greatly. Thank you from the younger generation for the chance to get to know you.

Aw, nice post. Like you, I was fairly young during Gibbs's first tenure...although I did have a 'Skins cheerleader uniform and I remember screaming my little underdeveloped lungs out during every game. :D

I agree with you too, I'm happy the younger generation got to know Joe Gibbs. I loved him when I was little, but I never understood how great, honorable, respectable, amazing, and every other good adjective in the book human being he was until his second tenure. I will always love the man and remember him fondly. He should be an inspiration to everyone! God Bless you and your family Coach Gibbs!!

Here here. I didn't really understand the tradition of the Washington Redskins, and the pride all the fans who had the pleasure of experiencing Gibbs I had for this team. Thanks to Gibbs II, I have come to love this team more then I thought possible.

Hail Danny and Joe Gibbs. :notworthy

P.S. Danny, please don't **** this up! Thanks a bunch!:silly:

I love hearing this from the younger generation.

I was lucky to not only see Gibbs I and II, but also George Allen. Sadly, I was too young to "get" the significance of having Vince Lombardi even for a year, but given Allen and Gibbs I/II, I have to say I have a pretty deeply ingrained sense of how great this team should always be. It's sad when we go through the bad times, like the Norv, Marty and Steve shows.

Let's hope that Gibbs' stated intent to advise Snyder is actually going to happen. If it does, I'm thinking he'll have a good influence on the organization.

Funny, looking back on this year, it could easily have been taken right out of Gibbs I and put here, with the exception of what happened to ST. In terms of how the team rallied and how classy they and the coaching staff were, this is vintage 'Skins... Nothing to be ashamed of at all. Be proud to be a fan of the real "America's Team."

:logo:

Seriously, if one wants a lesson in leadership, it is probably worthwhile carefully digging through all the moves that Gibbs made through 18 weeks.

Many people fail to understand how Joe kept giving the team a chance to sneak into the playoffs, despite one injury after another to key players. The crowning achievement, of course, was dealing with the death of Taylor.

Yea, I know my history and have seen all the highlights but I never really lived it. I still haven't experienced a super bowl win but at least I did get to have a few tastes of what it was like. Say what you will about this second time around but he never failed to bring about his classic December surges and through him, I got a chance to see the Redskins win a playoff game.

31-7, 52-17, 35-7, 34-3, 27-6, were these not flashes of former glory? I remember reading that in the Detroit game this year we allowed the fewest total yards since 1991. :helmet:

The best thing of all is that this time, he has left us with the foundation for success in years to come.

Someone dig up that old "Gibbsian Moment" thread, I wrote a nice long post in there about how I became a die-hard thanks to Gibbs.

Okay, this is a great point. As much as I don't want to be thankin Danny, this post seriously hits home. I grew up in a diehard Redskin family who always talked about the Hogs, Allen, RFK, and Gibbs. Clearly I loved them when I was younger, but I never really got to experience it all as much as they did. I'll never forget when my dad told me Gibbs was coming back, I don't think I've ever seen him so excited. And these past 4 years with Gibbs have been amazing. I mean clearly we've had our ups and downs, problems, and issues, but nonetheless I wouldn't want to be a fan of any other team.

So yeah, I guess I owe Snyder a thanks, to experience Gibbs (and meet him!!) personally.

It's been a good ride. You'll be missed, Coach.

Being lucky enough to witness all of his accomplishments in his first tenure, my appreciation of him reached a new level when he came back and the stories of how he could only see himself coaching one team - the Washington Redskins - surfaced. It was then that I realized how much he truly loved the Redskins and their fans.

For those reasons, and knowing his character, I was always willing to give him a free pass for any failure to meet expectations. I wanted him to coach the Skins for as long as he wanted to (as it turns out, longer than he wanted to).

I've got to jump into this one also. I have always been a fan, but Joe made me a diehard. All of the old stories are great, but to see with adult eyes what a man like Joe is all about makes you realize that this is more than a game. I'm heartbroken that he couldn't get another ring, for himself, for Dan, or for us, but I wouldn't trade the last four years for a SuperBowl anyway.

Joe Gibbs will always be a part of the Redskins Family! I am 32 now and grew up 4 miles from RFK...so the parties my family had stand out in my mind....I remember 6-7 years ago praying for Joe Gibbs to come back. I still have all of the newspapers because my wishes and dreams had come true. I think we should all be honored he was the one who took care of our team, along with Dan, during the tradegy we all as a family had to deal with. To Dan - thanks for bringing him back to us for the past four years..it was a dream come true. To Joe - God Bless You and enjoy those grandkids!!!! Thanks for the memories and YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!!!!

There was a lot more I wanted to say in this thread and it just hit me again tearfully watching Torresa's new vid. Just three days ago, I watched the NFL Films version of the '83 NFC Championship and you know what I saw? Riggo's 1st and only pass. We just ran that play didn't we? And we did it again in 2005... :(

There was a lot more I wanted to say in this thread and it just hit me again tearfully watching Torresa's new vid. Just three days ago, I watched the NFL Films version of the '83 NFC Championship and you know what I saw? Riggo's 1st and only pass. We just ran that play didn't we? And we did it again in 2005... :(

That wasn't his first, and it wasn't his only pass. That play was run repeatedly in '82 and '83.

Being lucky enough to witness all of his accomplishments in his first tenure, my appreciation of him reached a new level when he came back and the stories of how he could only see himself coaching one team - the Washington Redskins - surfaced. It was then that I realized how much he truly loved the Redskins and their fans.

For those reasons, and knowing his character, I was always willing to give him a free pass for any failure to meet expectations. I wanted him to coach the Skins for as long as he wanted to (as it turns out, longer than he wanted to).

In my opinion, Joe Gibbs came back to the skins, not because he wanted to but because he was driven to. We were such a bad organization before he got here and and he wanted its respect reestablished. So not only for the younger generation but for the old alike, he gave us a chance to relive some of our past and now have dreams for the future. We owe our appreciation as well to the men of the Redskins.

I am glad I shared the same feeling with some of you on here...I have been thinking about it constantly today and it really hit me that I will miss him on the side lines....

as someone said before I always felt like we could and would win each week... and we were in most games... I think he was like a solid foundation or backbone for the players and the fans.. like a rock solid persona that we all trusted....

even if we all said we didnt trust his play calling or some of his decisions... we still trusted him and were glad to have him on the sidelines.....

Archived