WP: Redskins Reach Agreements With R. Johnson, Hall

scskinsfan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27931-2003Mar2.html

New From The Post

Redskins Reach Aggreements With R. Johnson, Hall

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, March 2, 2003; 6:44 PM

The Washington Redskins reached contract agreements late today with a pair of key free agents, quarterback Rob Johnson and place kicker John Hall.

Johnson agreed to a two- or three-year deal worth about $1 million per season and is slated to back up Patrick Ramsey next season. He backed up Brad Johnson with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season. Hall, a member of the New York Jets the past six seasons, could give the Redskins their most reliable kicker in recent memory. He agreed to a five-year contract worth about $1.5 million per season.

Earlier in the day, the Redskins bolstered their depth on their offensive line by re-signing guard Tre Johnson and signing Lennie Friedman, a free agent from the Denver Broncos who can play guard or center.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

No one is thrilled about Johnson. We all know he's talented. Maybe he'd be ok for a game or two and little else. But, the Hall signing just makes you smile. There may be more accurate guys, but Hall has some leg and is used to the elements. Adding him allows so much. You don't have to be scared to kick it from 40 and out. You can get some cheap points and win field position. This may wind up being the best move of the offseason.

I have my reservations about R. Johnson. My only hope is that S2 will force him to dismiss his bad habits and start re-learning the QB position from basic fundamentals. He has the arm, but he appears to make bad decisions or hold the ball to long. Spurrier must concentrate on getting him to make his drops and then throw the football. $1mil a year seems reasonable for a back-up....I guess.

Hall is great. Finally...the kicking position has been stablized. I still would like to see them bring in a UFA like Hoambreaker so they have some notes on him should Hall either fail or become injured.

I feel the same way about Rob Johnson as many of you, but lets try to be optimistic. Johnson is talented, but he gets sacked way to many times. Maybe with our new offensive line and the coaching of Steve Spurrier he will be a decent backup for this team.

Originally posted by TC4

QB Rob Johnson :puke:

PK John Hall :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Maybe the rationale was if we get sacked on third down with Johnson, we'll need a good kicker to bail us out. ;) Hopefully we won't need to see Johnson except to show his Super Bowl ring off to the younger guys. Dang! Is he our only player with a ring? I miss ya Darrell Green!

I like the Rob Johnson deal. It gives our new defensive front something to tee off on in practice. :laugh: He's not good, but hey as long as King Patrick stays outta trouble in the injury department...it won't matter how good Johnson is.

Guest Trevor

It's great to finally have a solid kicker. Could mean 1 to 2 wins a year for us.

I don't mind the Rob Johnson deal. He's better than the two Gators and he has quite a bit of talent and if Spurrier is such a QB guru then Rob will be just fine as a backup. Hopefully with the line we have now Ramsey wont get hurt anyway.

Now it's time to trade up for one of the top 2 wideouts.

Chill out guys and gals. Johnson is considerably better than the two ex-Gators. But, more important . . . it's the backup Spurier wanted. Who do you think selected this guy . . . anyone else but SOS? RJ comes in knowing perfectly well what his backup role will be. For a couple of games, he'll do fine. If we need him for a half-season or more, as they say in Hawaii, we'll be in deep kim che.

All of this, and the draft still to come! Got to give props to the front office. Johnson a little shaky, but I have faith (given Wuerffel and Matthews, I don't know why, but I do) that the HBC has some clue of what he's trying to do.

Johnson problems began when he started playing in the west coast offense. When he was at Jax. he was considered a top prospect. He has a strong arm, and is accurate.

Matthews problems where he would unload the ball too soon (where he played in the WCO with the bears) Johnson likes to go deep and holds the ball too long for the WCO, but may fit with Spurriers fun & gun (and a little work from Spurrier and QB coach to be DW). With all the other signing, I have to give Spurrier & Snyder the benefit of the doubt.

I think Hall will do well for the Skins, He has a strong leg and a good natural grass kicker. Plus he is a clutch kicker, whom doesn't rattle easily.

I don't mind the Rob Johnson signing.... Hopefully, he won't be playing. If he does have to play for a game or two, you have to admit that he is an upgrade from DW or Shane.

I guess I don't really understand why everyone is so repulsed by his signing..... he's the BACKUP!!! Not the starter.

I guess I don't really understand why everyone is so repulsed by his signing.....

Have you ever seen him play?? That should answer your question. The guy has absolutely NO pocket presence...he looks dumbfounded back there.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was with the Bills....blaming it on poor line play. But then I watched him with the Bucs:rolleyes:

Hopefully Spurrier can work some magic.

Originally posted by TheChosenOne

"Runs in circles of diminishing radii. Do not chase. If you stand still, he will come back to you."

Damn!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Does anyone have an inkling as to why Rob Johnson was signed as our back-up? I mean, what does the organization see in him? Strong arm? Ability to learn? Just hasn't been in the right environment?

Must be something good about the guy for SOS to want him bad enough to sign him before anyone else could. Or, above the other QB's that were available.

What do you think?

Archived