Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

So there it is, Marquez going on record to say what I've been saying all along, the man is not interested in a 5th fight with Pacquiao

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article16657.html

Dude, I wish it were true, but I'll believe it when I see it. IF he beats Alvarado, he's gonna fight Pacquiao. All Marquez is doing is negotiating.

But on the flipside, he knows there would be a much stringent drug testing policy if they were to fight again.

Early returns on Bradley-Pac II not good, $1.1 mil less of a gate than their last fight. Pac's lowest gate since before the DLH fight.  Boxingscene had the early buys at slightly below 700K

The attendance was actually better. The tix were cheaper. And since his losses, Pac's popularity has went down a bit.

Dude, I wish it were true, but I'll believe it when I see it. IF he beats Alvarado, he's gonna fight Pacquiao. All Marquez is doing is negotiating.

But on the flipside, he knows there would be a much stringent drug testing policy if they were to fight again.

No matter how much $$ Arum throws at Marquez he's never gonna fight Manny again. Like I've stated, Manny is his arch-rival. For years he's longed for the opportunity to get a victory over Pacquiao. Now that he has it, he's not giving it up because he knows in his heart that 

a) That was a very-well timed/lucky counter he landed as the KO punch in that last fight

B) In his heart he knows damn well he can't beat Manny any more bcuz his skill are deteriorating at a much faster rate than Manny's bcuz he's much older.

c) He knows full well he was getting hammered on the cards until he landed that punch.

Marquez will never fight Manny again. This isn't knew, he's been saying it for the longest:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2385942/Manny-Pacquiao-ready-fight-career-Brandon-Rios-Juan-Manuel-Marquez-dismisses-fifth-fight.html

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/4/18/5627224/julio-cesar-chavez-jr-and-al-haymon-reportedly-in-discussions

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, one of the most bankable stars in the sport today, is reportedly speaking with mega-adviser Al Haymon about potentially linking up to do business going forward, with one report saying that Haymon has offered Chavez a multi-year deal worth $47 million.

This means a few things. For the immediate future, this puts Chavez's July fight with Gennady Golovkin up in the air. For another thing, this could be a huge blow for Top Rank and HBO in their battle with Haymon, Golden Boy, and Showtime. Chavez is one of the only real money fighters in the former stable at this point. If he winds up with the other side, Showtime would almost everyone but Manny Pacquiao locked up. Even Miguel Cotto, should he beat Sergio Martinez on June 7, would probably be looking to the Showtime side for his next bout, because there wouldn't really be anyone for him to fight otherwise.

It boggles the mind that Chavez Jr could get a deal like that. He's not that good and has a terrible work ethic, but his fans don't really seem to care.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/4/18/5627224/julio-cesar-chavez-jr-and-al-haymon-reportedly-in-discussions

It boggles the mind that Chavez Jr could get a deal like that. He's not that good and has a terrible work ethic, but his fans don't really seem to care.

Coincide this with the Mikey Garcia fiasco and the recent report of low ppv buys from their cash cow, and Top Rank seems to be a sinking ship. 

As far as Chavez Jr, he's living off his father's name.

Edited by T-REX1240
  • Like 1

No matter how much $$ Arum throws at Marquez he's never gonna fight Manny again. Like I've stated, Manny is his arch-rival. For years he's longed for the opportunity to get a victory over Pacquiao. Now that he has it, he's not giving it up because he knows in his heart that 

a) That was a very-well timed/lucky counter he landed as the KO punch in that last fight

B) In his heart he knows damn well he can't beat Manny any more bcuz his skill are deteriorating at a much faster rate than Manny's bcuz he's much older.

c) He knows full well he was getting hammered on the cards until he landed that punch.

Marquez will never fight Manny again. This isn't knew, he's been saying it for the longest:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2385942/Manny-Pacquiao-ready-fight-career-Brandon-Rios-Juan-Manuel-Marquez-dismisses-fifth-fight.html

You could be right, but he'd be about the first boxer that would leave one last payday on the table. I'll believe it when I see it.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10804485/gary-russell-vasyl-lomachenko-fight-june-21-golden-boy-promotions-outbids-top-rank

Featherweights Gary Russell and Vasyl Lomachenko, both former ESPN.com prospects of the year, will meet for a vacant world title after Golden Boy Promotions, representing Russell, beat archrival Top Rank, Lomachenko's promoter, in one of the closest purse bids in memory on Friday.

Golden Boy won the promotional rights to the fight with a winning bid of $1,052,250 to edge Top Rank's offer of $1,050,000 at the ceremony in Orlando, Fla., site of a Top Rank card on Saturday night.

The difference of $2,250 was only two-tenths of 1 percent between the bids. The minimum bid was $150,000.

Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer said the bout will take place on June 21, likely at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., as an undercard bout of a Showtime telecast for which the main event is not yet set.

Russell going from fighting bums to Lomachenko? I applaud the effort. 

Lomachenko still has some star potential in the sport, he just dug too big a hole for himself against Salido. I tend to be overly impressed with handspeed, so I'm a Russell fan. Looking forward to this matchup.

Can't see Shumenov posing much of a threat for B-Hop tonight. Shumenov isn't as good as Cloud or Pascal and B-Hop handled them both.

Porter vs. Malignaggi should be interesting. If Porter is ready to live up to his promise, he should be able to win comfortably. I will never be a fan, but Malgnaggi is a crafty SOB. I'm thinking Porter wins on the cards in a close one.

Kid Chocolate's fight is not worth mentioning, he will have received a tougher challenge from his speed bag in training camp.

Quillen has won every round of this fight, but he has some holes in his defense that can be exploited by better opposition. Showtime should be above matches like this, or at least have the decency to relegate them to Friday night ShoBox cards that very few care about.