Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Well, I was under the impression that since Khan won the poll on FLOYD'S website, he would be the opponent. What's the holdup?

Lol so was I bro. You might wanna ask Floyd Mayweather, Al Haymon, and Leonard Ellerbe; they can probably give you a much better answer than I can.

I think it's wrong of Floyd to string these guys along like this. By now, he knows who he's going to fight. All indicators point to Maidana, but nothing's official yet. Maidana's camp actually came out and said he was going to be fighting Floyd on May 3, but the very next day they retracted it.

Amir Khan Tweets Floyd Mayweather Has Chosen Marcos Maidana For May 3 Fight.

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2014/02/amir_khan_tweets_floyd_mayweat.html

I could have swore Khan won that poll.

Khan won the poll on Mayweather's own website after a late Twitter plea to his fans because Maidana had been winning the whole time. But Maidana won every single other poll on other credible sites like ESPN.com, etc.. so maybe that's where the conflict comes in.

Edited by T-REX1240
  • Like 1

Khan won the poll on Mayweather's own website after a late Twitter plea to his fans because Maidana had been winning the whole time. But Maidana won every single other poll on other credible sites like ESPN.com, etc.. so maybe that's where the conflict comes in.

Those other polls weren't official polls. The one on Mayweather's site was. The real conflict is that Khan is the tougher fight BUT he would probably generate a bigger buyrate. Maidana is the easier fight but probably won't generate a good buyrate.

Those other polls weren't official polls. The one on Mayweather's site was. The real conflict is that Khan is the tougher fight BUT he would probably generate a bigger buyrate. Maidana is the easier fight but probably won't generate a good buyrate.

I'm not so certain Khan would generate the bigger buyrate. Maidana/Broner pulled a good number on Showtime, and the fact that Maidana was the one to shut Broner up probably gained him a legion of supporters. Its far more significant than anything Khan has done in recent memory.

People in England don't support Khan like they did Hatton or other beloved British fighters.

As far as being a "tougher fight" its relative, they're both easy fights for Mayweather.

From an entertainment point of view, I would rather see Maidana get the fight. I don't think either fighter will be competitive unless Mayweather gets old overnight.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

I agree that either fight would be relatively easy. But I think Khan would give him more trouble in the early rounds. I can see Floyd picking Maidana apart for 12 rds. As for the buyrates, I think Khan has a bigger following if you go by his Twitter followers compared to Maidana's. Either way, I think this PPV will do under a million buys.

I agree that either fight would be relatively easy. But I think Khan would give him more trouble in the early rounds. I can see Floyd picking Maidana apart for 12 rds. As for the buyrates, I think Khan has a bigger following if you go by his Twitter followers compared to Maidana's. Either way, I think this PPV will do under a million buys.

Not sure twitter followers is the best way to determine a following.

I agree about the PPV number though, I don't think he does a million with either fighter. 800k-900k seems more appropriate.

Haven't really seen official numbers from the Guerrero fight but the worst I've heard is 850k. If Floyd did 850k w/him he can do 1 mill with either of these two guys. Problem is, his posturing is wasting away precious promotional time. I think this will ultimately have some affect on the final numbers. 

Floyd MayweatherVerified account

‏@FloydMayweather

I will be fighting Marcos Maidana May 3rd on Pay-per-view Showtime/CBS http://shots.me/p/3lh0k7to  pic.twitter.com/Rc2N87zcjP

Khan looking like an idiot for waiting now. If he fights Devon Alexander, he probably would have secured the Mayweather fight.

Khan vs. Broner on the undercard would be decent.

Edited by StillUnknown

Khan does look like an idiot, but why did Floyd have a poll on who his fans wanted him to fight if he wasn't gonna honor the poll?

****s & giggles most likely

Some intriguing fights out there for possible undercard additions. Won't move the needle, but they can put together some action fights with their stable of fighters who don't have anything scheduled at the moment.

Then why did Floyd put him as an.option on HIS poll then? I agree that Maidana deserves the fight, but I believe Khan would have been the tougher fight and Floyd knows it. The only thing that has given Floyd trouble in the past is speed, something Khan does have.

Then why did Floyd put him as an.option on HIS poll then? I agree that Maidana deserves the fight, but I believe Khan would have been the tougher fight and Floyd knows it. The only thing that has given Floyd trouble in the past is speed, something Khan does have.

One of the benefits of being the sports top dog is that you can pretty much do what you want when it comes to how you pick a fight. Its really not worth getting worked up over. Khan tried to secure the fight his way, and it blew up in his face. If he goes out and has a good performance or two he will be right back in the running for a Floyd fight. Choosing Maidana now, doesn't disqualify Khan in the future.

Again, "tougher" in this instance is relative, they are both easy fights for Floyd. Maidana's has one way to win, but he'll actually be smart enough to try and follow through on his gameplan. Khan has skills & attributes, but lacks the brain to use them properly over 12 rounds. His speed didn't prevent him from barely escaping with a win of Julio Diaz in his last fight.

I'm not sure speed gives Floyd trouble. The only person he fought who was comparable to his own speed was Judah. Floyd dissected him after 4 rounds and it wasn't close. It wouldn't take him as long to figure out Khan.

But people are supposed to lay down $69.99 for this easy fight? And then you say "choosing Maidana now doesn't disqualify Khan in the future." Wow. I guess he can fight easy fight after easy fight and his fans will continue to claim he's the best ever. Actually, I would not be at all surprised to see Floyd fight Khan in September.

As for speed giving Floyd trouble, what about Mosley? Mosley, even at his advanced age, had enough hand speed to almost knock Floyd out. 

But people are supposed to lay down $69.99 for this easy fight? And then you say "choosing Maidana now doesn't disqualify Khan in the future." Wow. I guess he can fight easy fight after easy fight and his fans will continue to claim he's the best ever. Actually, I would not be at all surprised to see Floyd fight Khan in September.

As for speed giving Floyd trouble, what about Mosley? Mosley, even at his advanced age, had enough hand speed to almost knock Floyd out. 

Mosley Speed didn't almost knock floyd out, it was more of his punching power and the faint to the buddy which opened it up. After that second round Floyd wiped the floor with his washed up ass. Only other person which hit floyd with a good punch was Corley he rocked floyd for a few seconds before he got his ass handed to him. To your point Zab gave floyd a few good rounds he has speed and power but he never hurt Floyd at all except with the cheap shot to the nuts. His one punch that almost dropped floyd was all floyd being off balance wasn't a hard punch at all.

Easy fight after easy fight, Floyd last fight was vs Canelo who is undefeated and has the combination of speed and power.

Canelo, undefeated Speed and Power

Guerrero, moved up the ranks whooping everybody, left handed floyd suppose to struggle with lefties.

Cotto, good hard fight came off a great win whooping cheating ass Margarito

Ortiz, beat a undefeated Berto (left handed, young, Speed and Power)

Shane, "made the most feared man in the sport Margo look silly easly dominating his ass"

Marquez, #3 p4p at the time the fight was a joke

Hatton, undefeated

Delahoya, AT 154 the Golden Boys best weight.

Basically beat everybody Pac beat before Pac beat them the last 6 years other than Marquez who really should have at least won 2 out of the 4 matches and Bradley who balances out with Canelo in fight difficulity, and Pac lost to him by the way. Floyd makes all the fights look easy, makes them look like weak fights even though ALL OF THEM came off of big wins and at there top of the game when facing Floyd (other than Oscar).

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

You're kidding.

Many believe Canelo lost to Trout who just got destroyed by Lara.

Guerrero beat the vastly overrated Berto and was fighting at 130 not too long before he fought Floyd

Cotto was past his prime and just because he bloodied Floyd's nose, doesn't mean the fight was all that competitive. Floyd won just about every round. Pacquiao stopped him.

Ortiz: Look at his last fight. He only got the Mayweather fight because he beat Berto's overrated ass.

Shane: Way past his prime and Pacquiao had an easier time beating him.

Marquez: Came up in weight and Floyd STILL came in over the weight limit

Hatton: Pacquiao had an easier time.

De La Hoya: Again, past his prime and still came close to beating Floyd. Pacquiao made him quit.

I find it laughable that you can sit there and say Mosley, who was old as dirt, was on the top of his game.

You put down Margarito, why didn't Floyd fight him when he was feared? 

It's time for Mayweather to put up or shut up. When Pacquiaio beat Bradley and Floyd throws a shutout on Maidana, he needs to make the fight happen. No more posturing. No more games, no more ridiculous demands. Fight Pacquiao in September or November. 

Edited by DM72
  • Like 1

Cotto was past his prime and just because he bloodied Floyd's nose, doesn't mean the fight was all that competitive. Floyd won just about every round. Pacquiao stopped him.

Floyd fought him at 154, Pac drained him, but you won't mention that because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Shane: Way past his prime and Pacquiao had an easier time beating him.

I find it laughable that you can sit there and say Mosley, who was old as dirt, was on the top of his game.

I find it laughable that you dismiss Floyd's victory over Shane yet you credit Pac for beating an even older version of Shane.

De La Hoya: Again, past his prime and still came close to beating Floyd. Pacquiao made him quit.

Again, Floyd fights him at 154, DLH drains himself for the Pac fight. Not to mention he was even further past his prime by the time Pac got to him.

It's time for Mayweather to put up or shut up. When Pacquiaio beat Bradley and Floyd throws a shutout on Maidana, he needs to make the fight happen. No more posturing. No more games, no more ridiculous demands. Fight Pacquiao in September or November.

2839206-keep_hope_alive_.jpg

The sooner you accept that these fights won't happen while Bob Arum is alive, the happier you'll be. There are no game, or demands. The only issue at hand is a legit beef between the #1 attraction & fighter in the sport and his former promoter Bob Arum. 

It sucks for fight fans, but pretending like only one person is preventing the fight is foolish.

Edited by StillUnknown

And you Mayweather fans do the same exact thing when it fits y'all arguments. Particularly when it comes to catchweights.

On top of that, you already got an excuse ready if by chance Floyd loses. I guess if he loses, it can't no other reason other than his age.

Edited by DM72