Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Terrell Suggs "..wants to stay in the area"

awd_sr

The Patriots were not far away, and so went out and signed ADALIUS THOMAS and Randy Moss and Wes Welker and look what happened.

How about Terrrell Suggs, Chad Johnson, and drafting a cornerback with the first pick and a guard/center with the 2nd round pick.

Thats all we need.

The Pats spent for Thomas, but got Moss for cheap. They spent ok money on Welker. It will be interesting what the Pats do with Moss this off-season. I am assuming he is going to want some money.

Dingani, now that we have chemistry on this team why would you want to go out and acquire players like Chad Johnson that are media-hungry self-promoters? :)

Let's learn a lesson from the past here. We don't have Tom Brady and a team full of 3-time Super Bowl vets to keep guys like Randy Moss in line.

We need more 'core' players, guys with CHARACTER and TOUGHNESS at positions on the OL as well as DE and CB.

I don't see wide receiver as being the #1 spot for improvement on this team at the moment.

I would like to add a taller receiver in the draft if Anthony Mix doesn't work out.

I agree that we simply cannot spend and spend on FA's, but he skins have been able to solve their cap situation every year. JLC posted something on his blog recently that indicated that the skins will easily get under the cap come March. The team won't be able to spend big, but I bet they create enough room to get someone. Owners willing to spend the cash can solve some of the cap issues.

I haven't seen a good thread on how the skins operate in at least year or so. Hopefully, one of the smart cap guys will provide one in the off-season explaining how cash can alleviate cap issues.

Like I said it's good for the now,but bad for later

we've used cash>cap since gibbs has been back and look where our salary cap starts at every year, we have less and less spending money initially every year and this year we're 20 million over.

getting under it will be the easy part,not screwing up the future cap is the hard one.

unless some players take durastic cuts we'll be in the same position next year,cash>cap simply pushes the hit into later seasons.

it's not as bad as it looks but if the wreckless spending continues bad things will happen.

Like I said it's good for the now,but bad for later

we've used cash>cap since gibbs has been back and look where our salary cap starts at every year, we have less and less spending money initially every year and this year we're 20 million over.

getting under it will be the easy part,not screwing up the future cap is the hard one.

unless some players take durastic cuts we'll be in the same position next year,cash>cap simply pushes the hit into later seasons.

it's not as bad as it looks but if the wreckless spending continues bad things will happen.

First, I don't think the team recklessly spends. The media used to hound the skins and claim cap heck for years, but every year the skins spent and got under the cap. Willing to spend cash like no other team has kept the skins cap under control.

I am not a cap expert, so like I said, I hope someone creates a thread in the off-season explaining exactly how the skins do it.

When they restructure contracts, like they do every year, they simply give the player more up front money and lower the salary number. As long as the player contributes the skins win. The player likes it because he gets more guaranteed money and more up front money. By doing so the team lowers the cap number for the first year. All teams give huge signing/roster bonuses once, but the skins do it continuously. If the skins cut said player they loose all that money they gave the player. Not an issue, like other teams, because Dan S. is willing to lose the cash so to speak.

Again, I am not a cap expert.

Dingani, now that we have chemistry on this team why would you want to go out and acquire players like Chad Johnson that are media-hungry self-promoters? :)

Let's learn a lesson from the past here. We don't have Tom Brady and a team full of 3-time Super Bowl vets to keep guys like Randy Moss in line.

We need more 'core' players, guys with CHARACTER and TOUGHNESS at positions on the OL as well as DE and CB.

I don't see wide receiver as being the #1 spot for improvement on this team at the moment.

I would like to add a taller receiver in the draft if Anthony Mix doesn't work out.

I really hope Mix works out so we can stop with the Chad Johnson talk. I hope Caldwell continues to demonstrate he belongs so we could have a good receiving corps going into next year. The team does have more pressing needs than breaking the bank bringing in Johnson.

First, I don't think the team recklessly spends. The media used to hound the skins and claim cap heck for years, but every year the skins spent and got under the cap. Willing to spend cash like no other team has kept the skins cap under control.

I am not a cap expert, so like I said, I hope someone creates a thread in the off-season explaining exactly how the skins do it.

When they restructure contracts, like they do every year, they simply give the player more up front money and lower the salary number. As long as the player contributes the skins win. The player likes it because he gets more guaranteed money and more up front money. By doing so the team lowers the cap number for the first year. All teams give huge signing/roster bonuses once, but the skins do it continuously. If the skins cut said player they loose all that money they gave the player. Not an issue, like other teams, because Dan S. is willing to lose the cash so to speak.

Again, I am not a cap expert.

what your missing in your equation is that whenever we re-negotiate, the cap hit is spread over the life of the contract and is guarenteed, it's called pro-ration

cap hit is lowered for this year but we're spreading it out over the life of the contract and it's guaranteed meaning if he's here or not it doesn't matter ,the guaranteed portion is on the books,and you can't slip it.

you see this happen with bonuses alot,chris cooley has a huge bonus coming up,say 12 million for example. his contract is still for 6 more years. we guarentee it allowing us to pro-rate it. players have no problem with that. ok cool we just saved 10 million on this years cap.

problem

whatever cooley's cap number is in the future add an immovable 2 million to his cap hit.

Ther 3-4 requires a nose tackle. The Redskins do not have anyone that can play a true nose tackle in a 3-4.

Not to mention that GW just doesn't coach a 3-4. PLUS, we don't even have the defensive ends for it unless you want to use Golston and Montgomery. Montgomery could probably do it, but we'd need more like him and Carter would suddenly become a waste.

Yeah,.. I guess FA has not been good to us:

1.) Griffin

2.) Washington

3.) Springs

4.) ARE

5.) Fletcher

6.) Thomas

7.) Rabach

8.) Collins

9.) Carter

Not to mention trades..which are similar:

1.) Portis

2.) Kendall

3.) Moss

If you're going to applaud the front office hits, you've got to list the FA and trade misses as well.

Such as:

1. Deion Sanders

2. Bruce Smith

3. Carl Banks

4. Danny Wuerrfel

5. Adam Archuleta

6. Jaques Green

7. Shane Matthews

8. Tom Tupa

9. Joe Salave'a

10. Michael Barrow

11. Trung Canidate

12. John Hall

13. Brandon Lloyd

14. T.J. Duckett

15. Chad Morton

16. David Patten

17. Dana Stubblefield

There are more, of course. Yes, we've had some good pickups lately. But the record is what it is.

9. Joe Salave'a

10. Michael Barrow

12. John Hall

16. David Patten

I am never one to defend our front office HOWEVER

Salavea had a killer season for us. He was a stud till he hit the wall.

Barrow, injured

John Hall, stud until injury

Patten, how did he do in new orleans when used correctly?

Don't get crazy with your list now.

cash over cap is a good method but shouldn't be used every year because if you get dumb with it and can bite you in the ass.

please don't debate with me your making me laugh,and I hope you don't have any credit cards.

cash over cap is like paying a credit card with a credit card. it's a good remedy for the now but if you abuse it and keep doing it your gonna drop the soap and grab your ankles at one point in the future.

1.) This forum is all about debate.

2.) I am sure that you are pretty worldly at 19 years old regarding finance, credit, and life in general!

Now for a lesson in Capology: We are about $15M over since the cap will increase to $116M. Also, w/o any restructures MB and Lloyd as designated June 1st cuts will save $7M. Cooley's roster bonus conversion will save another $6M. We will most likely cut Daniels and possibly Jansen, and restructure Springs, Washington, Portis, and Thomas. This would put us closer to $20M under before signing one FA.

Cash kills the Cap: The cap has been increasing by 6-10% per year. It will be $116M next year. So in 2010 it should be close to $130M. A $10M salary in 2008 is 8.6% of the cap, but in 2010 it would only be approximately 7.6%.

Here's how you sign a big player:

Give Chad Johnson a $25M guarantee on a seven year deal with it split in $10M up front, $7.5M roster bonus in 2009, and a $7.5 roster bonus in 2010 and pay him $1M, $1.2M, and $1.3 each season for the first three seasons. We could then convert the roster bonus and amortize it. The first year would only cost $2.4M against the cap, the second year would cost $3.85M, and the third year would cost $5.5M. The last four years of salary could increase significantly as the cap value as a % is much lower with a higher cap. The player would either be restructured in the last three years or cut after June 1st to pass the dead cap into the last possible year.

Now for a lesson in Capology: We are about $15M over since the cap will increase to $116M. Also, w/o any restructures MB and Lloyd as designated June 1st cuts will save $7M. Cooley's roster bonus conversion will save another $6M. We will most likely cut Daniels and possibly Jansen, and restructure Springs, Washington, Portis, and Thomas. This would put us closer to $20M under before signing one FA.

Cash kills the Cap: The cap has been increasing by 6-10% per year. It will be $116M next year. So in 2010 it should be close to $130M. A $10M salary in 2008 is 8.6% of the cap, but in 2010 it would only be approximately 7.6%.

FA starts in early march

your talking about designated june 1st cuts and june 1st cuts and we're gonna save all this money and sign 3-4 big names?

we'll be scraping underneith the salary cap when FA is in full swing,and only getting the huge savings in june.

does not compute

we could be in good cap position in FA 09 by cutting off the fat in FA 08.and even then why cut people past june 1st? tradem for draft picks and save money.

no matter what ,we'll be scraping anything this offseason in terms of signing big names, we gotta re-sign shuisam/frost/sellers/collins/albright. and cartwright as good as a teams guy he is can go bye bye. ARE should be returning kicks and doing backflips since he's making 30 million.

to sign the 5 essential players stated above your talking 4.5-7 million in cap taken up in this year alone

cash>cap can work but it should be leaned on as much we do. when people are ignorant and say were in cap hell they they don't know what they're talking about.We aren't in cap hell but we certainly won't have the room to be throwing money around like you envision when FA kicks in.

we'll be bumming it and possibly making some interesting trades/cuts in past june 1st.

Archived