Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My trip to the Marine Corps Museum (56K Warning!!)

Slateman

So, today, I went with my grandfather, a WWII Marine, to the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, VA. We only made it through the WWII section before my grandfather got too tired/hungry and we left. So, without further ado . . .

IMG_0947.jpg

"Everything is taken away - hair, clothes, food, and friends. Its a total cutoff from previous life" Couldn't agree more . . .

IMG_0952.jpg

Dan Daly during the Boxer's Rebellion. The story goes that he repelled 22 Chinese assaults by himself and killed 35 Chinese with his bare hands. Got a Medal of Honor for his actions that night. His first of two . . .

IMG_0968.jpg

A Devil Dog killing himself some Hun at the Battle of Belleau Wood. The 5th and 6th Marine Regiments fought with such tenacity that the Germans gave them the nickname "Hounds from Hell"

IMG_0954.jpg

This is the French Fourragère. It was given, by the French, to the 5th and 6th Marine Regiments for their actions at Belleau Wood. To this day, only Marines currently assigned to the 5th or 6th Marine Regiments can wear it.

IMG_0962.jpg

The original Rambo, John Basilone. Dude was a beast. Single handedly fought off a Japanese attack at Bloody Ridge by wielding a machine gun, Rambo style. He was later killed at Iwo Jima

IMG_0971.jpg

Gotta love some .45 ACP Tommy gun goodness :D

IMG_1004.jpg

Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR). My grandfather's favorite weapon.

IMG_0973.jpg

And sometimes, you gotta get down and dirty.

IMG_0974.jpg

WWII rifleman's basic kit, sans web gear and ammunition

IMG_0977.jpg

Meet my grandfather, standing next to the kit. Landed at Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and Sapian. He spent the most time with the 2nd Marine Division, but also went to China after the war with the 6th Marine Division (since disbanded).

IMG_0982.jpg

Trying to shoot down Jap planes at Pearl

IMG_0983.jpg

Ready for inspection

IMG_0984.jpg

Light tank. It was armed with a 37mm gun. Was largely ineffective due to the terrain of the South Pacific Islands. However, whats that on the side . . .

IMG_0985.jpg

Boobies. Need I say more?

IMG_1000.jpg

Pappy Boyington. He pissed so many people that when they found out he was alive, and not killed like originally reported, people tried to revoke the request for the Medal of Honor

IMG_1001.jpg

Landing at Tarawa.

IMG_1017.jpg

And this is what was left by the time we were done.

IMG_1012.jpg

"Among the Americans who served on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue" - Adm Chester W. Nimitz

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

Grandpa pointing to a place on a map. I forget why . . .

IMG_1021.jpg

A memorial of sorts. The wall has an Eagle, Globe and Anchor for every Marine killed, Navy insignia for every sailor killed, and . . .

IMG_1024.jpg

one Coastie. Coastguardsmen served as coxswains of landing craft. Signalman 1st Class Douglas Munro was awarded a Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Guadalcanal. Only member of the USCG to be awarded the MoH.

IMG_1025.jpg

Members of the 6th Marine Division silhouetted against a tank.

IMG_1026.jpg

Captured Japanese flag from Okinawa.

IMG_1028.jpg

The butchers bill. This is only the Marines. It doesn't take into account the tens of thousands of sailors, soldiers, airmen, and others who lost their lives during the Pacific Campaign.

The last few pictures speak for themselves . . .

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

Hey man, I really want to thank you. I've driven past it 20 times since it was completed, but never taken the time to see it. Looks amazing. I really want to take my old man there - a career Mariine and an amazing self-made man. Both my brother and I served. Unless you've been a Marine, you probably don't get 'once a Marine, always a Marine'.

I sincerely appreciate your sharing.

Hey man, I really want to thank you. I've driven past it 20 times since it was completed, but never taken the time to see it. Looks amazing. I really want to take my old man there - a career Mariine and an amazing self-made man. Both my brother and I served. Unless you've been a Marine, you probably don't get 'once a Marine, always a Marine'.

Stop by Tarhog, well worth it. And grab lunch at the Globe off of Rt 1. in Dumfries. MAJ Spooner should be part of the museum.

Stop by Tarhog, well worth it. And grab lunch at the Globe off of Rt 1. in Dumfries. MAJ Spooner should be part of the museum.

PM me exact directions and what to eat. Thats probably on my way home.

Come on you sons of ****es! Do you want to live forever?!

Chills.

Dan Daly. 5' 6" of warrior. Won not one, but TWO Medals of Honor.

And he lived through both of them.

My grandfather is shorter. He's barely 5'3" He came back and was told he was too short to be a Forrest Ranger . . . .

I'm in awe of former Marines. Somehow, I just don't think we have it as hard nowadays as they did. I don't think we ever will.

In some ways it was tougher then. In some ways, its tougher now. They're not supposed to beat you now. Or deny you food. But, the DIs are probably more creative in ways they can instill discipline in you. And, well, let's just say what happens in the squad bay, stays in the squad bay :D

Meet my grandfather, standing next to the kit. Landed at Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and Saipan. He spent the most time with the 2nd Marine Division, but also went to China after the war with the 6th Marine Division (since disbanded).

Wow, he really defeated the odds of surviving the war, as all 3 of those battles were extremely bloody. I would love to here some of his war stories.

I was in Saipan a couple different times a few years ago, for Navy/Marine WW II buffs it may just be the most interesting place to visit. If you care to follow up on where your grandpa served I recommend you consider taking a vacation there at some point in time. There are lots of remnants of the battle your grandfather was part of all over the island, and there is a US National park (Saipan is a US territory) dedicated to it complete with tanks left where they were originally stopped, caves and bunkers. Pretty interesing stuff if you are in to that kind of thing.

Hey man, I really want to thank you. I've driven past it 20 times since it was completed, but never taken the time to see it. Looks amazing. I really want to take my old man there - a career Marine and an amazing self-made man. Both my brother and I served. Unless you've been a Marine, you probably don't get 'once a Marine, always a Marine'.

WTFO? You have driven passed it 20 times and never stopped? Go, you will like it, your dad will probably love it. I really enjoyed going there and I am a squid. They also have a replica "Tun Tavern" (birthplace of Marines in November 10, 1775 for those not in the know). And they serve food and beverages including beer as well.:cheers:

Archived