Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disorder turning anchor's skin from black to white

SkinsTerps26

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/12/18/turning.white.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Disorder turning anchor's skin from black to white

DETROIT, Michigan (AP) -- Lee Thomas' skin is betraying him.

art.vitiligo.makeup.ap.jpg

Lee Thomas uses creams and makeup to cover his growing patches of colorless skin.

His once brown, even complexion is now mottled with pale patches around his eyes and mouth, along his nose and on his ears; his arms, shoulders and chest are speckled and blotched.

"I'm a black man turning white on television and people can see it," says Thomas, an anchor and entertainment reporter for the local Fox Broadcasting Company affiliate. "If you've watched me over the years, you've seen my hands completely change from brown to white."

Thomas has vitiligo, a disorder in which pigment-making cells are destroyed. White patches appear on different parts of the body, tissues in the mouth and nose, and the retina.

"There is no cause. There is no cure, and it's very random," Thomas says. "I could turn all the way white or mostly white."

As many as 65 million people worldwide have the disorder, including up to 2 million in the United States.

click link to continue reading

All Michael Jackson jokes aside, is this most likely how white people came to be?

art.vitiligo.thomas.ap.jpg

No im not that serious, but couldn't this just be an explanation as to how anatomically modern humans (homo sapiens), which first appeared in africa, could develop fair skin... and later through genetic isolation and breeding of these pairs, end up with morphologically altered, fair-skinned homo sapiens

How else would you explain the out of africa theory and account for the differences in skin color among different people?

If someone has the answer i'd be happy to listen to it.

We are talking about 130,000+ of genetic changes. :)

Vitiligo causes the pigment cells to be destroyed, returning the skin to a pigment-free color. White people have functioning pigment cells. So no, this is not how white people became white.

My thoughts exactly.

Glad we were able to clear that up!

White people gradually became white so that they could absorb more UV radiation and produce vitamin D in the northern latitudes where the sun is weak and winter is long. Dark skin means more bone disease and rickets if you live in those latitudes.

However, near the equator where the sun is fierce, protection from excessive UV radiation is needed, so skin remained dark there. Basic natural selection at work.

White people gradually became white so that they could absorb more UV radiation and produce vitamin D in the northern latitudes where the sun is weak and winter is long. Dark skin means more bone disease and rickets if you live in those latitudes.

However, near the equator where the sun is fierce, protection from excessive UV radiation is needed, so skin remained dark there. Basic natural selection at work.

Nice "theory" predicto. :silly:

they did a show a few years back on tlc or discovery called 'the real eve' or something like that. and they explained that in depth.

they tracked the migratory patterns from africa up through egypt where it split east to asia and west to europe, then eventually the americas. but the thoughts for different skin colors was exactly that. the body adapted to the weaker UV radiation in the northern latitudes by becoming lighter.

seems like a plausible theory to me.

i guess we could test it if we had someone who could live for a couple hundred years and could track two white people from canada or iceland who have been transplanted to an island in the caribbean and see what effect it has on their skin tone through the generations.

Archived