Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Talking Trade with Bears at #4 Spot

Would you want the Skins to sign Emmitt?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want the Skins to sign Emmitt?

• Yes, that would be a good idea!
    • No, He is old and a former Cowboy!

Well it appears that Mad Mike is right, and Snyder and SOS will trade up to take Rodgers or Johnson. Det. will get Rodgers so Johnson will be it. This just feels like a huge mistake to me, but what do I know?:high:. :cheers: I would probably do the Smoot deal to take Suggs at #4, but that's not going to happen.

Well I can tell you that we are not going to be able to move up to #4 by just throwing in Smoot. The Bears are bound to be asking for at least another #2 and #3 pick.

So you guys who are in favor of moving up.... are comfortable with a 4 for 1 deal for an untested wide receiver? This could blow up in our face and turn out worse then the Desmond Howard deal. :doh:

Smoot had a pretty bad season. However, I have some serious reservations about starting Bauman. He covers well, but his lack of height could end up being a real problem.

Anyone remember a CB for the Gints that got repeatedly toasted back when Norv was here ? He was just too short and we passed the ball to his side of the field repeatedly until they took him out of the game. I think he was cut after that game. I'd hate to see a re-do of that with Bauman.

I back Smoot, obviously. But he ain't Champ Bailey, and considering that we just aced #48, the Skins will need more than Rod in the WR Corps. Anyway, that's my read of what they must be thinking. So if they pull the trigger, whomever they draft better pan out, and pronto. Corners aren't easy to come by. Having two of the best is pretty much the only area in which the Redskins lead the NFL. I'm not sure this is a good idea . . . but if they aren't going to do it, deny deny deny! Not a good idea to dangle a guy if you want him to bleed B&G.

Bauman, this is the guy that was constantly out of postion when he did play and constantly got burned.

Smoot's replacement, come on.

ok so smoot got burned a bit last year.

I cannot blame him no one wants to throw at champ so they go after Smoot or the other db's on the field.

And since he plays on the edge he did get burned a few times.

Now Smoot does not have the coverage skills that Champ does but the kid has a fire i his belly and really loves to play for the skins.

Will this trade happen, most likely.

Should it happen, that would depend on who we pick.

Will we miss Smoot if the trade does go through...every sunday when Bauman is getting lit up by opposing recievers.

Whether you want to deal Smoot or not, I think that this is the time to make a move up. see Mike Vick

Those top 5 picks only get more and more valuable as the draft approaches and teams start falling in love with different guys.

The biggest fleecings come ON draft day. That's when teams get really desperate. see Ricky Williams/Ryan Leaf

But for now, you have March coming with the schools hosting workouts. The men start being separated from the boys, and the prices go up for the top picks.

Now is the time to strike if we are going to do so. Not at 1:00pm April 26th.

Originally posted by MorgantownHokie88

Disagree. Trading Smoot might be a good idea. For one, he is in the last year of his contract and he is going to demand top dollar because he is looking for a big pay day since he wasn't a first rounder. Smoot is a good corner, but not a great corner. Bauman or a FA could be put in his place.

It's obvious what they are doing here, they are trying to postion themselves for Andre Johnson, but if he's not there they can grab the best DT or DE (Suggs) or even trade back down.

They have a real PR nightmare if they stand pat and take Jacobs, the third WR, since he is from Florida and all the critics will start to jump on even though he might fit.

Basically they would rather get something for Smoot now, when they know, he probably won't be back after next year anyway because we are going to have to pay Champ.

Okay, I already said this was a STUPID trade, but let me explain a little more.

This is not stupid because we're getting rid of Smoot. I believe Smoot is just worth more than what we'd be doing here.

If we were giving up Smoot and our #13 for more than just a #4 pick -- the Lions trade was for more than just their #2 -- I could buy this trade as a good deal. But we will not get Suggs or Rogers in this hypothetical trade. We'll be losing a solid CB (I'd grade him as worth about a #25 overall pick) AND our #1 for one rookie player who is NOT Rogers or Suggs... and that to me seems like we're getting hosed.

We're not talking about choosing a QB here. They're either going to take a D-Lineman or a WR... and I don't think there's any way they use this pick on a Defensive player.

Let's look at who's available according to

Mel Kiper's Big Board, which I personally think is overrated, but is still a good judge of about where people will go. Check out these D-Linemen:

Kevin Williams DT Okla. St.

Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky

William Joseph DT Miami

Chris Kelsay DE Nebraska

Kenny Peterson DT Ohio St.

Johnathan Sullivan DT Georgia

Even if some of these guys go earlier, every single one of them has mad skills at their position and would be an immediate starter on whatever line they go to. But the Front Office doesn't want them, and a #4 pick is too late to pick Suggs or Rogers...

So we have to presume they want Andre Johnson. And by my measure, Andre Johnson is not worth Fred Smoot and any of the above DTs.

Here is the list of WRs who were drafted in the top 10 overall over the last five years:

David Terrell - Bears

Koren Robinson - Seahawks

Peter Warrick - Bengals

Plaxico Burress - Steelers

Torry Holt - Rams

David Boston - Cardinals

Anyone still want to trade Smoot and the #13 overall? Not me. Rather mediocre list, if you ask me.

What are you:high:on LB#43 ? Take a look at that list again. 2 of the 6 players you listed are average at best WR's. However, the other 4 would easily make a pretty good #1 WR to compliment R. Gardner on the other side. While I agree with your sentiment, this list isn't going to prove your point.

Smoot is a pretty decent #2 cover corner who generally plays pretty well but periodically has lapses and gives up a big play here and there. In last seasons zone schemes, he looked downright awful on a few occasions. So, what you're looking at is a potentially dominant player in exchange for a decent one.

The major problem I have with their thinking on this is that 1) I don't think Bauman will do as well as Smoot when put up against most #2 WR's in the NFL because he's too short. 2) The draft is a crap shoot and we have no guarantee that we'll have a 2/3 chance of gaining a dominant WR if we take Johnson at #4.

In addition, taking a WR at #4 means that we won't be able to fill our obvious glaring need on the DL with at least 1 dominant player to draw double teams. If we wait until the 2nd round to take a DT we'll most likely end up with a guy who will probably be solid yet capable of being handled one on one by most NFL linemen. If we are indeed planning on doing this, we'd better make sure we get D. Gardner signed.

All in all, I agree with what you're saying just for different reasons.

Thats list of the last 6 rookie WRs taken in the top 10 makes me want to make the trade. Just think if we added someone of David Boston, Torry Holt, Koren Robinson quality. Koren Robinson could very well be the best of those 3 WRs I listed, hes mad nice. Anyone watch him near the end of last season?

So you guys who are in favor of moving up.... are comfortable with a 4 for 1 deal for an untested wide receiver? This could blow up in our face and turn out worse then the Desmond Howard deal. :doh: [/b]

This is the most interesting post in this thread.

I havent studied the draftees yet so I am not qualified to judge the top wide out prospects, but damn it if inmate isn't on to something here. No F'in way should we give a 4 to 1 for a rookie wr. Does he run a 4.1 40? Does he have hands like flypaper? Can he leap a tall building in a single bound? No he is a mere mortal who hasn't even taken a single snap in the NFL.

Now if the Bears want to give us there 1st and 3rd for our 1st and Smoot now your talkin.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Larry Brown,

Terrell and Warrick have been busts, and Robinson, Boston, Burress and Holt didnt do anything as I recall in their rookie years.

So do we want to gamble on Johnson and have to wait at least 2 years before he produces? Not me. :rolleyes:

That's exactly my point. If you look at my post again, I said that I would NOT want to trade Smoot and a #13 to move up. I even said that it was a mediocre list of players. Did you misunderstand my post, or am I misunderstanding yours?

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Drafting DT DeWayne Robertson at #4 is way too high. He is a junior and never got more then 4 or 5 sacks, and hasn't even been timed in a forty yet. :doh:

Dude, time to lay down the crack pipe ok. :laugh: He is going to be the next Warren Sapp. His coach is the same guy who coached Gardener and he says Robertson is the best DT he's EVER coached! He was double teamed 61% of the time and still got 5 sacks and 48 tackles. He has been timed in the 40. He ran a 4.69-4.75 at 6-3 and 321lbs and did 35 reps at 225.

He is challenging Kennedy for the highest grade for DT in the draft.

Pro Football Weekly

2-21-03 Kentucky’s Dewayne Robinson, likely to be one of the first defensive tackles selected, said he models his game after Buccaneers DT Warren Sapp and Seahawks DT John Randle.

DJ Boyer

2-18-03 Strength: Speed off the snap Run defense

Weakness: Pursuit

Assessment: Dewayne Robertson made a suprising move when he declared for the draft, I admit I was surprised. I had seen Robertson play many times and knew he was a very good prospect but it wasn’t until I really studied film on him after he declared that I realized just how good he was. Robertson made 48 tackles and registered 5 sacks despite being double-teamed on 61% of the snaps I saw him take. That is a very high number and this was because teams respected his burst off the line and they knew he was the only consistent threat on the line. Robertson has the nickname “Baby Sapp” and he looks like Warren off the snap. Robertson explodes and shows the best burst of any defensive tackle in this draft. Does well against the double team and can be a one or two gap man in the NFL.

Great Blue North

2-18-03 With the combines set to get under way later today, no player comes into Indianapolis with a bigger buzz about him than Kentucky junior DT Dewayne Robertson. Robertson has reportedly been timing in the sub 4.75 range for the 40 at just over 320 pounds at private training sessions. And with that combination of size and athleticism, Robertson is reportedly close to challenging Penn State DT Jimmy Kennedy for the highest grade at the position among 2003 draft prospects. Robertson, Kennedy and the rest of the defensive linemen start their 4 days of intense combines' activities on Thursday

Matthew Gambill

2-14-03 Kentucky DT Dewayne Robertson is weighing 321-pounds and running 4.69-4.75 in the forty, as well as throwing up 35+ reps of 225...

Larry Brown,

Yeah I overlooked your "not me." We are on the same page dude. :cheers:

56Arrington,

Lets see now DeWayne Robertson got 5 sacks playing against the likes of Louisville's schedule: Kentucky, Duke, Colorado State, Army, Florida State, Memphis, TCU, East Carolina, Cincinnati, Southern Mississippi, UAB, Houston, and Marshall.

You call that a schedule? He should have dominated playing against those turkeys and had 15 to 20 sacks. :laugh:

But I do appreciate your research to go along with your opinion. So we'll see when Robertson runs his forty. :cheers:

I dont like the idea of trading Smoot. Even if Baumann is superb, which is far from certain, every team needs 3 good CBs this day. Trading Smoot to move up 9 spots just dosnt sit well with me. I think we can get more then that.

Also the way Snyder seems to run things it seems unlikely we will pick Robertson. He's not flashy enough. Rogers, Johnson and Suggs along with a QB (heaven forbid) would be more likely when you look at Snyder.

if the opportunity presented itself to acquire a dominant defensive lineman for Smoot and an exchange of picks, it WOULD be worth it.

we have Bailey on one side and as the Skins did when we had Darrell..........we can find a solid fill in and roll the coverages to back him up............

guys like Tory James and others are available and could be options.

certainly the team will have a hard time negotiating a new deal for Smoot when the time comes when we have to empy our pockets to re-sign Champ as well.

Archived