Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Samuels ..How good is he ??

alleycat

I just can't decide ?? Some say pro-bowler...some say he sucks.

I watch and can't decide.It is tough to judge O-linemen.

When he does his job...There generally isn't alot to see.When he doesn't...We get a hurt QB.He seems to get flatout blown away 2-3 times a game.

I just dunno.

One thing I do know...He is not worth the contract he signed.I don't think there are more than maybe 2-3 in the NFL(o-line) That earn that large of a salary.

This year he has been hampered by the inefficiencies of the line and the loss of dockery. I feel Kendall is not holding up like Dockery

Kendall isn't bad and the job he has done is pretty good considering. But he isn't the answer. He's a definate drop-off from Dockery (who I really wish we still had.) We need to address the o-line in the offseason through the draft thats for sure.

I'll disagree. It's been a tough year for them mentally, having lost the right side early didn't help. Samuels seems to be in the Pro Bowl every year that must account for something.

I am talking about him over his career.

I dunno how much I believe in pro-bowl selections.

Samuels is seriously overrated. Speed rushers eat his lunch everytime.

Speed rushers eat Ogden's lunch too and he's talked of as a HOFer.

I put Samuels a notch below Pace/Walter Jones and above pretty much everyone else. Samuels is an excellent tackle and we should be thankful to have him. Yes he gets beat occasionally but so did every LT in the HOF and every LT playing today.

Samuels is seriously overrated. Speed rushers eat his lunch everytime.

Why is there so much retarded thinking on this board? As someone else said, a speed rusher will get the best of any LT. The flip side is run blocking, where the speed rusher often gets demolished by the LT.

Samuels is one of the best LTs in the game right now.

I swear, some people have no clue: it's Clinton sucks, Betts is better than Portis, JC is a bust, etc.

I generally believe he's an above average player who lacks some consistency. I've seen him have problems with speed rushers as well as bull rushers. For the most part, you only hear an O-lineman's name when he's doing something wrong. I think he's had a fairly good season this year. MOST IMPORTANTLY, he hasn't missed a game.

Skin fans will realize just how good he was when he is gone. Samuels has been a fantastic LT for many years and many of us fans fail to realize that. Oh, but we will realize it when he is gone.

this is the truth

samuels is a beast he may not be the ogden or walter jones type,but samuels gets his job done majority of the time and is one of our best run blockers.

Samuels was the best tackle in the league this year up until the last few weeks. For whatever reason, he's had a rough couple of games but prior to that he was having a great season.

For his career, he's been an elite tackle but I would agree with what others have said in that he's been just a notch below the "sure fire HOF" tackles like Pace/Boselli/Ogden.

It's too bad some fans fail to appreciate Samuels' career thus far and seem to have completely forgotten what it was like prior to Chris' arrival.

I think he IS a little overrated. My issue with him is, he makes a lot of mental mistakes at key moments, when you'd least expect a pro-bowler to be making them. I don't always think he's got his head 100% in the game. But I'll also say, without any expertise or inside knowledge, its pretty hard to assess when mistakes are one player's fault, or just a result of some other issue going on we're not aware of.

Samuels has been left on an island week after week, even against the best pass rushers because of the weakness of the right side of the line. He has held his own and deserves to be considered for the pro bowl in 2007.

The truth of the matter is that Joe Jacoby and Jim Lachey both received help from Don Warren in blocking guys like Lawrence Taylor and Charles Haley in their primes, while Samuels is pretty much out there by himself.

Samuels is one of the best out there imho. Over his career, he's still one of the better one's out there.
i agree, if your gonna use a speed rusher argument samuels is the reason why the NFL has speed rushers because he's too strong to overpower all you can do is try and run around him but his technique is sound and wins that battle 8 out of 10 times which isnt bad if you look at most Tackles in the league who get beat by ordinary bull rush / 1 move type DE :2cents: P.S. his run blocking is AWESOME he blocks and lead blocks like a starting Gaurd theres no doubt in my mind he will be a HOF when its said and done

Some people have unrealistic expectations. Left tackles are going to give up sacks. Cornerbacks are going to get beat. Defenses are going to give up touchdowns.

We are 11th in fewest sacks per game right now, despite all of our offensive line injury problems, and Samuels has only given up a handful of sacks.

I just can't decide ?? Some say pro-bowler...some say he sucks.

I watch and can't decide.It is tough to judge O-linemen.

When he does his job...There generally isn't alot to see.When he doesn't...We get a hurt QB.He seems to get flatout blown away 2-3 times a game.

I just dunno.

One thing I do know...He is not worth the contract he signed.I don't think there are more than maybe 2-3 in the NFL(o-line) That earn that large of a salary.

Personally I think he's better than Jansen, and obviously hasn't been as injury prone.

Good thread.......There's no question in my mind, Samuels is extremely overrated. Game in, game out he's adequate at best and I've noticed in the past two seasons alone, he seems to get penalized on the team's most critical offensive series in every game!

Some people have unrealistic expectations. Left tackles are going to give up sacks. Cornerbacks are going to get beat. Defenses are going to give up touchdowns.

We are 11th in fewest sacks per game right now, despite all of our offensive line injury problems, and Samuels has only given up a handful of sacks.

Thanks for providing some actual stats. Too many people are bashing the guy because of what happened to Campbell. I heard one moron say he voted for every one of our O-lineman for the Pro Bowl EXCEPT Samuels. The guy isn't perfect but he's still better than 2/3 of the LTs in the league.

Archived