Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Message about the Coach

ManleyMann7271

I was born in 1976, so when I was growing up the Redskins were winning with Coach Gibbs. Now I have a five year old son and I still believe the Coach will take us to the promise land again, giving my boy some great Redskin memories during his childhood. Even if he doesn't do it this year or next, look at the draft picks he has made. Taylor(RIP), Landry, Blades, McIntosh, Cambell, Cooley, Golston, Montgomery and I'm sure that I'm missing some. Then you have the free agents, Carter, Fletcher, Moss, Randel El, Smoot. Sure there's been some guys that haven't worked out but sometimes the chemisty is just not there. So lighten up on the Coach, he means to much to this franchise to be treated the way he has. Even if he doesn't take us anywhere before he hangs it up, he has left our team with a lot of young talent. I just want to say that I love the coach and I hope he signs a five year extension. STAY STRONG, COACH!!!!

I was born in 1976, so when I was growing up the Redskins were winning with Coach Gibbs. Now I have a five year old son and I still believe the Coach will take us to the promise land again, giving my boy some great Redskin memories during his childhood. Even if he doesn't do it this year or next, look at the draft picks he has made. Taylor(RIP), Landry, Blades, McIntosh, Cambell, Cooley, Golston, Montgomery and I'm sure that I'm missing some. Then you have the free agents, Carter, Fletcher, Moss, Randel El, Smoot. Sure there's been some guys that haven't worked out but sometimes the chemisty is just not there. So lighten up on the Coach, he means to much to this franchise to be treated the way he has. Even if he doesn't take us anywhere before he hangs it up, he has left our team with a lot of young talent. I just want to say that I love the coach and I hope he signs a five year extension. STAY STRONG, COACH!!!!

QFT After all this team has gone through to be 1/2 game back of the wild card is huge

Guest Rafterman

Have fun living in the past boys.

Gibbs II is remains a disaster and I sincerely hope that he's man enough to walk away at the end of the year.

Have fun living in the past boys.

Gibbs II is remains a disaster and I sincerely hope that he's man enough to walk away at the end of the year.

He took us to, and won a playoff game 2 years ago. That's not a disaster. He hasn't been a sucess story, but a disaster is a bit harsh.

I'm young enough to not have a real conscious and knowledgeable memory of all the golden years of Gibbs that all you guys have, but I do know that when i was growing up I got to see Norv ruin the team every year, I got to see #28 retire, #48 start to lose a step, and #24 (whom I always thought was going to be a life-long redskin especially after seeing Green) get traded for someone who didn't fit the davis mold that I loved. I got to watch run, run, screen for so many years I didn't know what a deep ball looked like. I got to watch something like 5 coaches in 4 years. Watched Schott get canned, and Spurrier give a college offense a try in the pros. These are my memories, LaVar and Sam Shade with Ohalete. I think one of the first games I went to was the last one ever played at RFK, heck I went to see a Nats game this year just to remember how it moved and felt.

I say all this because these past few years with Gibbs have given me hope for a team that I love. I have never been so excited to watch the draft or habitually check the trades in the off season. I have never seen a man put so much into his job and still be so humble. Joe Gibbs is an inspiration as a person. I couldn't imagine another coach getting through this whole situation that's going on right now. Gibbs cares about everyone in that locker room, not just because he wants them to do well, but because of the man he is. That's why people think he's so washed up, because instead of reeming the refs every game or ****ing about how things aren't going his way he kneels down and prays at for field goals. You know what, I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't want some heartless, soul-less man as my coach (a la belichek). I don't care how many games we won.

Say what you will about Gibbs, but he has made the Redskins relative again. And given this guy a whole lot to root for.

Here's looking forward to a future with a team that more-than-capable Gibb's built.

I'm withcha...Gibbs has done a lot for this team in version II, his bashers will soon come aboard they are just too young to see how much the franchise is coming back together as a solid franchise.They talk about the Norval/ Spurrier days but were too young to really remember what was really going on so they post win/loss records as their only proof.

I really think that they think that the Pats and the Colts have been winning forever but it was not like that. They built their foundation from the bottom up and this is how we are building ours and because of Gibbs II our foundation is laid for our program to be a winning one once again.

Although Gibbs II hasn't been as successful as we hoped, I agree that he brought in a lot of young, talented players who will have a bright future on our team. Besides the only free agent busts were Archuleta and Lloyd. All of the other free agents under Gibbs have done well.

I'm withcha...Gibbs has done a lot for this team in version II, his bashers will soon come aboard they are just too young to see how much the franchise is coming back together as a solid franchise.They talk about the Norval/ Spurrier days but were too young to really remember what was really going on so they post win/loss records as their only proof.

I really think that they think that the Pats and the Colts have been winning forever but it was not like that. They built their foundation from the bottom up and this is how we are building ours and because of Gibbs II our foundation is laid for our program to be a winning one once again.

i am 34

which means when Norv took over this team i was in my early 20s

and when Spurrier took over this team I was in my late 20s

And when Gibbs returned I was 30....

You are all of 9 years older than I am....so stop with the condescending "you don't know youngun'" talk....

We post the records because it illustrates our points, not because we don't remember what it was like.

For the record, though...

The Patriots were in a Super Bowl in 1985, 1997, and then won 3 this decade. So perhaps you need to examine your examples. No they were not good all of those years. But they are a team that has been to a Super Bowl in each of the last 3 decades. That puts them in the same category with the Steelers and that is pretty much it.

How arrogant do you really have to believe to think at the ripe old age of 43 you really remember what it was like so much better to preach it to the likes of us 34 year olds, really?

i am 34

which means when Norv took over this team i was in my early 20s

and when Spurrier took over this team I was in my late 20s

And when Gibbs returned I was 30....

You are all of 9 years older than I am....so stop with the condescending "you don't know youngun'" talk....

We post the records because it illustrates our points, not because we don't remember what it was like.

For the record, though...

The Patriots were in a Super Bowl in 1985, 1997, and then won 3 this decade. So perhaps you need to examine your examples. No they were not good all of those years. But they are a team that has been to a Super Bowl in each of the last 3 decades. That puts them in the same category with the Steelers and that is pretty much it.

How arrogant do you really have to believe to think at the ripe old age of 43 you really remember what it was like so much better to preach it to the likes of us 34 year olds, really?

Since you were old enough to know you should've been old enough to understand that when Snyder took over, he started with getting over-aged players such as Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Andre Reed...because he was a fan of football, these guys and the 'Skins more so than a owner that knew how to put together a organization that can win games.

Spurrier signing was due to his college record and he let this guy bring in every washed up Florida Gator that he can find.

We were a unstable franchise until Gibbs II where we have some kind of continuity but injuries have played a major factor.

As far as the Patriots goes, yes they are a dynasty now but believe me it has not always been that way. They grew into this as we will and have been doing under Gibbs II.

Since you were old enough to know you should've been old enough to understand that when Snyder took over, he started with getting over-aged players such as Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Andre Reed...because he was a fan of football, these guys and the 'Skins more so than a owner that knew how to put together a organization that can win games.

Spurrier signing was due to his college record and he let this guy bring in every washed up Florida Gator that he can find.

We were a unstable franchise until Gibbs II where we have some kind of continuity but injuries have played a major factor.

As far as the Patriots goes, yes they are a dynasty now but believe me it has not always been that way. They grew into this as we will and have been doing under Gibbs II.

yes, I remember all of those things... I also remember the results....

I remember that in Spurrier's 2 years he was 12-20 as bad you and I both remember that he was...and yet with the "continuity" you claim we have under Gibbs II, here, 4 years into it, for our last 2 years we are 11-18 and counting....

I remember that the Danny brought it overpriced old free agents like Bruce Smith and Deion that gave little production, and that during that time frame our record was 28-36

And that now Gibbs II has brought in young overpriced free agents (or trades) like TJ Duckett, Brandon Lloyd or Adam Archuletta, and that during that time frame our record is 27-34...

so, please, tell me what this stable, continuity has gotten us?

before last night, our injury situation was on par/average with the rest of the league...don't believe me? go to NFL.com and look at the inactives/injured list....thats just another excuse.....

i fully admit it is possible we could go 14-2 next year and win the super bowl...

based on the performance of this team can you really, truthfully say that wouldn't be an absolute, utter shock?

I'm young enough to not have a real conscious and knowledgeable memory of all the golden years of Gibbs that all you guys have, but I do know that when i was growing up I got to see Norv ruin the team every year, I got to see #28 retire, #48 start to lose a step, and #24 (whom I always thought was going to be a life-long redskin especially after seeing Green) get traded for someone who didn't fit the davis mold that I loved. I got to watch run, run, screen for so many years I didn't know what a deep ball looked like. I got to watch something like 5 coaches in 4 years. Watched Schott get canned, and Spurrier give a college offense a try in the pros. These are my memories, LaVar and Sam Shade with Ohalete. I think one of the first games I went to was the last one ever played at RFK, heck I went to see a Nats game this year just to remember how it moved and felt.

I say all this because these past few years with Gibbs have given me hope for a team that I love. I have never been so excited to watch the draft or habitually check the trades in the off season. I have never seen a man put so much into his job and still be so humble. Joe Gibbs is an inspiration as a person. I couldn't imagine another coach getting through this whole situation that's going on right now. Gibbs cares about everyone in that locker room, not just because he wants them to do well, but because of the man he is. That's why people think he's so washed up, because instead of reeming the refs every game or ****ing about how things aren't going his way he kneels down and prays at for field goals. You know what, I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't want some heartless, soul-less man as my coach (a la belichek). I don't care how many games we won.

Say what you will about Gibbs, but he has made the Redskins relative again. And given this guy a whole lot to root for.

Here's looking forward to a future with a team that more-than-capable Gibb's built.

It is great to see such optimism, heart, and class in one so young (not that I am much older :) ).

Great post :cheers:

You're right. He's done a great job in the draft, something that our coaches before him seriously lacked...but his philosophies on the field have been nothing short of questionable, and he's coaching in a 2007 NFL, which he still seems to think is that 1980s NFL.

if things start going as they did last night...when gibbs apparently turning over all offensive playcalling to al. then gibbs can continue to be a 1980s style coach and it wont hurt us. if al calls offense, gregg calls defense, and gibbs focuses on keeping the team together and being a strong leader. i have no problem with the coaching staff. let gibbs choose the players in FA and the draft and let the other two call the plays.

You're right. He's done a great job in the draft, something that our coaches before him seriously lacked...but his philosophies on the field have been nothing short of questionable, and he's coaching in a 2007 NFL, which he still seems to think is that 1980s NFL.

Coach Gibbs is a darn good evaluator, not only of on field talent and potential, but personal talent and potential off the field as well. He evalutes the whole person. I'm a firm believer that great things happen to great people and it's only a matter of time before all of his decisions start paying off. He's too good a coach, father, friend and person to not come out of this on top.

Of course, I think he's on top of the world right now. He could decide to walk away today I wouldn't think any less of him because of it. He's lived a great life, has a great family and has had a very successful coaching career. He doesn't have anything left to prove. But it will all come full circle and Joe Gibbs will hoist the Lombardi Trophy above his head once again.

meast4eva

Archived