Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Backpedaling? Lawyer claims he's not seeking plea deal for Rivera after all

Pookie

I'm a PR person and I know how to spin...but this is ridiculous.

Backpedaling ya think?

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/reada...eid=16189&z=3&p=

Attorney: We're not seeking a deal

Last updated on: 12/5/2007 2:47:29 PM by NBC2 News

FORT MYERS: The law firm representing Eric Rivera says a published report claiming they are seeking a plea deal in the murder of NFL player Sean Taylor is flat-out wrong.

The statement, which is attributed attorney Sawyer Smith, was reportedly made after the hearing for the 17-year-old Rivera in Miami Wednesday morning.

News outlets across the country picked up the story, including Fox Sports, MSNBC and CBS Sports.

The story originated from The Associated Press, and quotes Smith as saying:

"When the State Attorney's Office is ready, we would like to sit down and begin discussion with them so we can move towards a resolution in the case that has the best interest of all parties in mind," Smith said. "We want to minimize the impact of case resolution on the Taylor family and find a result that's in the best interest of justice."

But Smith says that quote is not accurate.

Hear directly from Smith tonight at 6:00.

Rivera was transferred from juvenile detention in Lee County Tuesday night. At the court appearance Rivera was denied bond.

The other three suspects in the case, Charles Wardlow, Jason Mitchell and Venjah Hunte, were also denied bond during hearings Tuesday. They were also placed on suicide watch.

All four were formally charged with first degree felony murder and armed burglary with assault and firearm.

Rivera, who has been identified by prosecutors as the triggerman in Taylor's death, will be tried as an adult but is not eligible for the death penalty.

Authorities say the suspects broke into Taylor's home early November 26th, but that the killing was unplanned because the four didn't think the football star would be home at the time of the burglary.

basically I don't care about the best interests of "all" parties...I want swift justice that is the best for the victims families interests...the nerve of this attorney...

it pisses me off to no end how they try to paint the guilty as innocently involved or as victims themselves...god I hope the judge sees through this crap and gives the maximum penalties ASAP!

basically I don't care about the best interests of "all" parties...I want swift justice that is the best for the victims families interests...the nerve of this attorney...

it pisses me off to no end how they try to paint the guilty as innocently involved or as victims themselves...god I hope the judge sees through this crap and gives the maximum penalties ASAP!

i cant stand that either. criminals getting portrayed as anything but that is wrong. they arent always a 'victim of their circumstances' like people want to say.

So Rivera will not be getting the death penalty? How is this?

If one of the others pulled the trigger would he get the death penalty?

And, how are they charging all four with murder if only one of them pulled the trigger?

I was wondering this same thing myself. This is a quote from the ESPN.com story, from the same back tracking lawyer, so take it for what it's worth. It's the only place I've seen this addressed in any way.

Smith said the defense attorneys in the case have a history of working together, but he said he understood the grand jury's identification of his client as the alleged gunman puts him in a unique position.

"The other boys may be in a position to separate themselves somewhat from our client," he said. "However, under the felony murder rule, if it can be shown that they're involved in it, if they're involved in the burglary, then it's not a defense that they were not the one that pulled the trigger."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3142511

rivera is underage, in the state of florida a minor cannot receive the death penalty. However he can still be charged as an adult and receive life in prision w/o parole.

Even if one of the others pulled the trigger he can receive life in prision w/o parole but not the death penalty.

Also in the state of florida even though you did not pull the trigger and are as guilty as the others if someone is killed in the act of another felony.

For more info just do a google search for florida laws regarding this.

And, how are they charging all four with murder if only one of them pulled the trigger?

They can charge all four with murder b/c the prosecutor can argue that the three other people's actions caused the death of sean taylor. The 17 year old will be tried as an adult but FL law says you can't give the death penatly to a minor even though he's tried as an adult since the commission of the crime was when he was 17 they can give him life in prison. So the other three could get the death penalty b/c they commited the crime when they were above the age of 18.

None of them will get the death penalty. The case has become so big, civil rights activists and minority groups will will become involved and pressure politicians to give life w/out parole. They will say the trigger man had a mommy that did not love him and before we know it, he will be eligible for parole at age 36. Sad but true.

There are so many people upset over this (Skins fans, U fans) though, that there will probably be a "Reckoning" one day.

None of them will get the death penalty. The case has become so big, civil rights activists and minority groups will will become involved and pressure politicians to give life w/out parole. They will say the trigger man had a mommy that did not love him and before we know it, he will be eligible for parole at age 36. Sad but true.

There are so many people upset over this (Skins fans, U fans) though, that there will probably be a "Reckoning" one day.

I fear you are correct sir. What is our justice system coming to?

Archived