Extremeskins

Local10.com: Program From Taylor's Funeral Listed On eBay

bubba9497

http://www.local10.com/news/14778459/detail.html

click link for full article

Program From Taylor's Funeral Listed On eBay

Attorney Calls Listing 'Disgusting, Despicable, Ultimate In Greed'

POSTED: 8:20 am EST December 5, 2007

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A memento from the funeral of Washington Redskins safety and former University of Miami Hurricanes star Sean Taylor is for sale on the Internet auction Web site eBay.

Type in a search of Taylor's name on eBay and more than 1,600 items come up, everything from his rookie trading card and signed helmets and jerseys to memorial ribbons and the white towels with the No. 21 that were distributed at Sunday's Washington Redskins game.

But buried in the strand of Taylor memorabilia is the program from Monday's funeral at Florida International University's Pharmed Arena. It's unclear who the seller is -- his listing name is "sharkonwheels" from Hollywood, and he writes that it is going to be a really rare item.

The listing features three pictures of the handout and boasts that his is a real one and not a copy. At the end of his full-page sales pitch, the seller writes, "Sean, rest in peace. You will be sorely missed in this world."

As of Local 10's first report, 11 people had bid on the item. The price was $102.50.

Richard Sharpstein, Taylor's attorney and family friend, was shocked when Local 10 showed him the eBay listing.

"It's a horrible, horrible lack of respect for a family that's just buried their incredible son," he said.

Sharpstein said the family had no idea of the listing but would be outraged to learn that someone is trying to profit from Taylor's death.

"This case is an example of an epidemic in America of greed and violence, and to sell the programs from someone's funeral is just disgusting, despicable and the ultimate in greed," he said.

Sick.

Sometimes I wonder where we are headed as a society. O well. 250 years was a good run.

Rome, Greece, Egypt...all major civilizations died out. Most rotted from the inside out.

Our time is quickly coming with the lack of visible Moral anchors.

Sharpstein said the family had no idea of the listing but would be outraged to learn that someone is trying to profit from Taylor's death.

Yeah they did, but I don't blame the lawyer for saying they didn't. The fam personally contacted that a-hole and asked him to take it down at about 10-11am yesterday. He wouldn't.

I think the Redskin nation got to him! :notworthy

no worse than those a-holes selling st memorial towels on ebay imo

It's WAY worse, I think. I think both are very wrong, but selling an item like this from the funeral is just unbelievable. My guess (and my hope) is that it wasn't posted by someone who attended the funeral, but rather some scavenger who came along and picked up a copy that someone had left on the ground or something.

If they are refusing to take it down, then it's almost certainly not someone who attended. You'd hope not, anyway.

It's WAY worse, I think. I think both are very wrong, but selling an item like this from the funeral is just unbelievable. My guess (and my hope) is that it wasn't posted by someone who attended the funeral, but rather some scavenger who came along and picked up a copy that someone had left on the ground or something.

If they are refusing to take it down, then it's almost certainly not someone who attended. You'd hope not, anyway.

true, but i guess i viewed last sunday's game as somewhat of a funeral for us fans that couldn't make it down to florida.

I knew one would surface on eBay so I kept an eye out.

When I saw it, the description seemed like he was a fan. Apparently he edited it eventually to say proceeds will go to benefit the ST Trust Fund for Jackie. Either way, the auction is no longer up and was removed (presumably by eBay).

See the posts/convo here:

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4542497&postcount=132

-> http://extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4542986&postcount=134 (with link to the previous funeral auction) -> http://extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4544753&postcount=145

(appendage of my post: it could have been removed just from media pressure also)

And yet someone is actually willing to pay over $100 dollars for a copy of the program... It might be a low thing to do, but at least the program will end up in the hands of someone that clearly wants it.

thats true of the buyer, but its hard to get past the fact that the seller has no class

Sick.

Sometimes I wonder where we are headed as a society. O well. 250 years was a good run.

Rome, Greece, Egypt...all major civilizations died out. Most rotted from the inside out.

Our time is quickly coming with the lack of visible Moral anchors.

So true. We still have some time to get our act together.

Archived